filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Just saw EEAAO...can someone explain to me why Jamie Lee Curtis was nominated for BSA? I don't get it. She gave a good performance, but nothing worthy of being nominated for an Oscar.

Doesn't really make much sense to me either, but it's proof of just how much of a frontrunner EEAAO is this year that JLC is getting nominated here tbh.

Stephanie Hsu and Michelle Yeoh dominated this film.

I swear if this film hadn't had the weird ass hot dog fingers, I would have given it a higher rating (even the emotional and heartfelt monologues/flashbacks had their impact reduced by those fingers). I mean...playing the piano with your feet? I dunno...it's the overly absurd little aspects like that that lessened the impact for me.

Shots of Evelyn hugging Joy, her husband, and flashbacks of her father are mixed with fucking ketchup and mustard dripping from their mouths. Ugh. So stupid.

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

Just saw EEAAO...can someone explain to me why Jamie Lee Curtis was nominated for BSA? I don't get it. She gave a good performance, but nothing worthy of being nominated for an Oscar.

Movie overperformed and she's a veteran and an icon who was widely considered long overdue for a nomination. That same sort of narrative is what's looking to propel Bassett to a win (for a Marvel movie, no less) this year.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Movie overperformed and she's a veteran and an icon who was widely considered long overdue for a nomination. That same sort of narrative is what's looking to propel Bassett to a win (for a Marvel movie, no less) this year.

Bassett was incredible, and wholly deserved her nomination IMO. Jamie Lee Curtis was good. 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:43 PM, JustLurking said:

Doesn't really make much sense to me either, but it's proof of just how much of a frontrunner EEAAO is this year that JLC is getting nominated here tbh.

I don't get how we are in the era when it is easier to get double nominees in supporting categories than original song category. Banshees, EEEO, The power of the dog, Judas all prove that some academy members act like they are just nominating the entire cast in their ballot if they love a movie enough without watching enough number of movies. 

Interestingly enough, this feels like the first year in a while where we've had more than one or two acting nominees (Paul Mescal, Ana de Armas, Andrea Riseborough, Brian Tyree Henry) that were the only nominations for their movies. Probably fitting for a year where 80% of the acting nominations were first-timers, which I'm pretty sure is the highest ratio in that regard in a while.

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't get how we are in the era when it is easier to get double nominees in supporting categories than original song category. Banshees, EEEO, The power of the dog, Judas all prove that some academy members act like they are just nominating the entire cast in their ballot if they love a movie enough without watching enough number of movies. 

After the back-to-back Dreamgirls/Enchanted debacles (three nominees in the category and still losing), I think most musicals/music movies got scared. Generally, they decided the best strategy was pushing one song the whole season and hoping to get the win, vs risking vote splitting. Though La La Land still won when it had two Original Song nominees, it was the Best Picture frontrunner, in a stronger position than most movies with lots of original songs. We'll never know if Let It Go or Shallow would've still won even if other songs from their movies had been nominated: maybe so, but maybe not. And the studio/talent involved probably didn't want to add the risk.

It feels like the dynamics are different for double nominations in the supporting categories. Usually when there are double supporting nominees, there's also someone else from the movie nominated in lead (barring a Kaluuya/Stanfield fluke, which wasn't even WB's intention). Double supporting nods are usually about a movie maximizing its overall nomination count and making a case as a top Best Picture contender.

You can also add to the nomination count with multiple Original Song nods, but it means little for the Best Picture race. Dreamgirls led the nominations in its year thanks to all the songs, but missed out in Best Picture. And none of the songs even won!

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Watch this spur another round of sympathy from the industry-Riseborough's in it to win it!

I must admit I want it to happen since I'm 100% positive she's the one person this year who will have the most "WTF is she wearing?!" comments with whatever she outfit she chooses on the red carpet lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

You know you've made it to the mainstream the moment you become referenced on SNL.

There was a great opportunity for a joke before the Nope one where he just repeats the question and gets The little mermaid and Batman correct.

I never expected EEAAO to do well across the pond, but thought Banshees would go all the way due to British/Irish favoritism there. But that was no match for World War I...or a biopic performance.

BAFTA winners:

BEST FILM
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT; Malte Grunert

LEADING ACTRESS
CATE BLANCHETT; Tár

LEADING ACTOR
AUSTIN BUTLER; Elvis

EE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)
EMMA MACKEY

MAKE UP & HAIR
ELVIS; Jason Baird, Mark Coulier, Louise Coulston, Shane Thomas

DIRECTOR
EDWARD BERGER; All Quiet on the Western Front

PRODUCTION DESIGN
BABYLON; Florencia Martin, Anthony Carlino

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN; Martin McDonagh, Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin

BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
THE BOY, THE MOLE, THE FOX AND THE HORSE; Peter Baynton, Charlie Mackesy, Cara Speller, Hannah Minghella

BRITISH SHORT FILM
AN IRISH GOODBYE; Tom Berkeley, Ross White

COSTUME DESIGN
ELVIS; Catherine Martin

SOUND
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT; Lars Ginzsel, Frank Kruse, Viktor Prášil, Markus Stemler

ORIGINAL SCORE
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT; Volker Bertelmann

DOCUMENTARY
NAVALNY; Daniel Roher, Diane Becker, Shane Boris, Melanie Miller, Odessa Rae

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER; Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN; Martin McDonagh

ANIMATED FILM
GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO; Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar, Alex Bulkley

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
AFTERSUN; Charlotte Wells (Writer/Director)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT; James Friend

EDITING
EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE; Paul Rogers

CASTING
ELVIS; Nikki Barrett, Denise Chamian

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT; Edward Berger, Malte Grunert

SUPPORTING ACTOR
BARRY KEOGHAN; The Banshees of Inisherin

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
KERRY CONDON; The Banshees of Inisherin

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT; Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, Ian Stokell

I will never stop laughing if in the year where "movie theaters are back" is the main storyline they end up going with the Netflix feature for Best Picture (finally scoring the win the streamer has been long fighting for to no luck).

I suspect Butler is taking SAG with ease now and that will lock him for the Oscar. Somewhere out there Taron Egerton is wondering how he ended up not even nominated for his biopic performance.

Bassett is likely to still winning SAG since they're the organization that gave the first movie their top prize but Condon could be the spoiler. Keoghan ending up the winner would also be quite the turn of events.

• Like 1

Everything Everywhere losing BAFTA builds a stronger case for it being the frontrunner. The US guilds clearly love the film, and its sole win at BAFTA being Editing is impressive given that's one of the most competitive categories this season. Even as All Quiet was building momentum with Oscar shortlists, the guilds still mostly ignored it during phase one; it cannot win Picture without domestic support.