filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Funnily enough, I just listened to the song.

What in the "Alone Yet Not Alone" nonsense is this lmaaaooooo. That song she's done for 80 for Brady is awful too despite all the legends singing it. I was hoping that after they gave her an honorary Oscar we would be done with her catapulting these lame songs from movies that barely have a Wikipedia page (no, seriously - just look at it lololol: Tell It Like a Woman - Wikipedia) into becoming Oscar-nominated films but yet here we are still. 

I had no idea Sofia Carson sang this, let alone this movie exists. Literally every Descendants song she sings is better than this.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Funnily enough, I just listened to the song.

What in the "Alone Yet Not Alone" nonsense is this lmaaaooooo. That song she's done for 80 for Brady is awful too despite all the legends singing it. I was hoping that after they gave her an honorary Oscar we would be done with her catapulting these lame songs from movies that barely have a Wikipedia page (no, seriously - just look at it lololol: Tell It Like a Woman - Wikipedia) into becoming Oscar-nominated films but yet here we are still. 

Diane's Applause is so mid. Can we have Gaga sing her "Applause" at the ceremony instead, lol, a better song than what either of them is nominated for this year.

The 80 for Brady song is truly terrible, though. Even without the Riseborough thing, you could see the Academy seeing an 80 for Brady nod on the horizon and saying "Enough!" and changing the rules to stop the cronyism at the nomination stage for next year.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm really wondering if this can get disqualified like that song lol. When the hell was the one week qualifying run?

"Alone Yet Not Alone" got disqualified because of shady campaigning, but did manage the qualifying run. No one had heard of it, but IIRC it turned out that it played in an LA area theater for a week and AMPAS allowed the showtime listings in the newspaper to count as print advertising for the movie.

Nearly a decade later, there aren't as many printed movie ads in newspapers, but there are more cities where you can do an Oscars qualifying run, since the pandemic. You could book the tiniest room at some multiplex in the outskirts of Miami (for example), say to the Academy, "Hey, the showtimes were on Fandango," and fulfill the qualifying run under the radar. Then just have a bunch of private screenings/dinners/etc later on in LA/NY as needed.

According to IMDb, Tell It Like a Woman had a limited release on October 7, the same day as To Leslie...and Tár.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The 80 for Brady song is truly terrible, though. Even without the Riseborough thing, you could see the Academy seeing an 80 for Brady nod on the horizon and saying "Enough!" and changing the rules to stop the cronyism at the nomination stage for next year.

Until Frances Fisher makes that stupid song her Oscar project for next year.

Titanic Rich GIF - Titanic Rich Fancy - Discover & Share GIFs

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Until Frances Fisher makes that stupid song her Oscar project for next year.

Titanic Rich GIF - Titanic Rich Fancy - Discover & Share GIFs

No one's going to jail or anything...but emailing Academy members to lobby for votes was part of what did in "Alone Yet Not Alone".

AMPAS also has rules about negative campaigning:

Then there’s the Frances Fisher problem. Rule 11, which concerns “References to Other Nominees” and carries a one-year suspension of membership for first-time offenders:

a. Ads, mailings, websites, social media (including Facebook and Twitter) or any other forms of public communication by anyone directly associated with an eligible film attempting to cast a negative or derogatory light on a competing film or achievement will not be tolerated;

b. In particular, any tactic that singles out “the competition” by name or title is expressly forbidden.

Fisher, a veteran actress who pops up at a lot of Academy events, has been relentlessly promoting Riseborough on her feeds. That’s fine, but she went so far as to post a slick slideshow of a recent Q&A event on Instagram with the caption: “To my fellow #Actors in @TheAcademy…. #AndreaRiseborough can secure an #Oscar nomination if 218 (out of 1,302) actors in the Actors branch nominate her in first position for #BestActress….Seems to be that Viola, Michelle, Danielle & Cate are a lock for their outstanding work.”  

Yeah… The clear implication in Fisher invoking Davis, Michelle Yeoh, Deadwyler, and Blanchett, the names of four competitors: They’re all fine, they’re getting nominated anyway, so you don’t need to vote for them… instead, vote for my girl #AndreaRiseborough! Which her fellow actors apparently did.

Williams and de Armas should be pissed, too, because it looks like they're the ones Fisher hoped to push out. #Messy

Still, it depends on whether the Academy considers Frances affiliated with the To Leslie team or not, and how much they want to enforce their rules. And even if Rose Dawson's mom gets put in timeout for a year, it'd surprise me if they rescinded Riseborough's nomination.

I read somewhere that Hurt Locker producer was emailing AMPAS members telling them not to vote for Avatar. He was punished by being disinvited to attend the ceremony. :lol:

So if AMPAS found Riseborough campaign fraudulant, what could they do? Revoke her nomination in which case there would be only 4 nominees, correct? 

Edited by Valonqar

I don't see them rescinding Riseborough's nomination like they did "Alone Yet Not Alone," she's not a big A-lister whose career could withstand having the stench of scandal attached to her name for the rest of her career (nor did she seem to step outside the lines of normal campaigning like some of her champions like Fisher did). Besides, if that scandal is anything to go on, it's not like Danielle Deadwyler will magically become a nominee, assuming she was sixth. My guess is that Fisher's membership will be suspended for a while and that's it, if we're gonna investigate suspicious nominees we should go after some of Diane Warren's recent nominations while we're at it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I read somewhere that Hurt Locker producer was emailing AMPAS members telling them not to vote for Avatar. He was punished by being disinvited to attend the ceremony. :lol:

So if AMPAS found Riseborough campaign fraudulant, what could they do? Revoke her nomination in which case there would be only 4 nominees, correct? 

Based on recent Oscar precedents, yes. OTOH, 50 years ago...

It was initially announced, on February 12, 1973, that The Godfather received 11 nominations, more than any other film that year.[9][10] This was reduced to 10 nominations (tied with Cabaret for the most) after a new vote by the Academy's music branch, following a controversy over whether Nino Rota's score for The Godfather was eligible for the nomination it received.[11][12] For the re-balloting, members of the music branch chose from six films: The Godfather and the five films that had been on the shortlist for best original dramatic score but did not get nominated. John Addison's score for Sleuth won this new vote, and thus replaced Rota's score on the official list of nominees.[13] The controversy arose, according to Academy President Daniel Taradash, because the love theme in The Godfather had previously been used by Rota in Fortunella, an Italian movie from several years earlier.[14]

That was an eligibility issue vs potential campaign impropriety, and I'm not sure if Riseborough herself would be punished by AMPAS, just Academy members who may have overstepped. In the Alone Yet Not Alone situation, the songwriter was the one emailing Academy members, and he'd been an Academy governor, so it was seen as a leader abusing their power to influence voting. Here, they will probably just tell Frances Fisher to calm down.

If they did DQ Riseborough, the easiest thing would be to go with the remaining four. What if, after all this drama, it's Olivia Colman or Emma Thompson in sixth place? And can you imagine if they copied that Godfather precedent and held a re-vote for the Best Actress nominees? AMPAS would be stupid to risk making this an even bigger cluster than it already is.

@BoxOfficeFangrl Thank you! I agree that it wouldn't hurt Roseborough just whoever did the camapgin but even in the extreme case of revoking Riseborough they should leave it at 4. Everything beyond that creates even bigger mess. 

32 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

that's how peter scolari won his emmy they kicked out one of the nominees on a technicality he was the replacement and then he ended up winning. so if danielle deadwyler ends up subbing in you never know, this would be a great campaign for her.

There's no guarantee that she was #6 or that she would get in on a re-vote. Wasn't ABC so confident that Boseman was winning they moved Best Actor to be the last category of the night? We saw what happened. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

@BoxOfficeFangrl Thank you! I agree that it wouldn't hurt Roseborough just whoever did the camapgin but even in the extreme case of revoking Riseborough they should leave it at 4. Everything beyond that creates even bigger mess. 

There's no guarantee that she was #6 or that she would get in on a re-vote. Wasn't ABC so confident that Boseman was winning they moved Best Actor to be the last category of the night? We saw what happened. 

With lesser awards shows, the producers know who's going to win in advance and arrange the show around it. Like, at the People's Choice Awards, they basically skip categories where the winner isn't there. For years, the Critics Choice Awards would conveniently have "ties" for the toss-up categories.

The Oscars consider themselves as having a certain integrity, so only the accountants know how the voting went ahead of time. That's how you get disasters like the Boseman moment that wasn't, and the Moonlight/La La Land mixup taking so long to get corrected.

With the Best Actress drama,

the cynical solution would be for the Academy president to find out who was sixth, before making any other decisions. Deadwyler? Let her in! Colman? Never mind... I wonder if AMPAS feels letting in the sixth place person could upset the balance and unfairly tip the voting. The Emmys give out so many more awards and probably aren't as precious about their status/prestige as the Oscars.

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I'm not familiar with how this stuff works, but if there was something unethical about her oscar campaign, shouldn't that have been addressed... during the campaign? Seems to me like she got nominated fair and square

The Riseborough campaign sprang up pretty last minute, the big push came during the voting window a couple weeks ago. The Academy was probably preoccupied during the balloting process and not monitoring Frances Fisher's Instagram comments the way online fans were. Improper campaigning has happened before, the Academy ends up meeting to discuss it first, then tweaking the rules if needed, which takes time.

• Like 2

If anything this will help Andrea and the film. The more it is in the news, more people will turn in to see her incredible performance. In the future, whatever award worthy role she's doing, it will be watched and get attention, and rightly so.

Besides, it has nothing to do with her, so the punishment should be laid on the people involved if there was any wrongdoing.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Not getting the nomination for Arrival is looking more and more like a pivot point in Adams' career. That's almost exactly the moment her movie choices started to become worse as well.

I thought this was serious at first and wondered "Wait, this is pertinent in 2023? This happened 5 years ago?"

Alas

The Academy released a statement Friday regarding the campaign, though it didn’t mention “To Leslie” specifically.

“It is the Academy’s goal to ensure that the Awards competition is conducted in a fair and ethical manner, and we are committed to ensuring an inclusive awards process,” the statement reads. “We are conducting a review of the campaign procedures around this year’s nominees, to ensure that no guidelines were violated, and to inform us whether changes to the guidelines may be needed in a new era of social media and digital communication. We have confidence in the integrity of our nomination and voting procedures, and support genuine grassroots campaigns for outstanding performances.”

According to The Los Angeles Times, To Leslie director Michael Morris and his wife, actor Mary McCormack, "contacted nearly every one" of their famous friends asking them to watch the movie and spread the word, hence the avalanche of social media posts that appeared seemingly out of nowhere. According to Puck, McCormack even sent an email that said, "If you're willing to post every day between now and Jan 17th, that would be amazing!" Jan. 17 was the last day of nomination voting.

Andrea Riseborough's shock Oscar nomination has reportedly sparked Academy scrutiny (yahoo.com)

So Frances Fisher isn't the only person that might've had a hand in this lmao. Is Mary McCormack even an Academy member.

All of this is begging for a dramatization so much lol. No chance it happens but Cate Blanchett winning a third Oscar (I just watched Tar on Peacock and she is terrific in it and would make for a worthy winner) wouldn't be nearly as iconic as Andrea Riseborough emerging with a win following the wildest "from buzz to nominee" acting nomination story possibly ever.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Andrea Riseborough's shock Oscar nomination has reportedly sparked Academy scrutiny (yahoo.com)

So Frances Fisher isn't the only person that might've had a hand in this lmao. Is Mary McCormack even an Academy member.

All of this is begging for a dramatization so much lol. No chance it happens but Cate Blanchett winning a third Oscar (I just watched Tar on Peacock and she is terrific in it and would make for a worthy winner) wouldn't be nearly as iconic as Andrea Riseborough emerging with a win following the wildest "from buzz to nominee" acting nomination story possibly ever.

I genuinely don't get what the issue here is. Asking people to watch a movie and tweet about it and vote for it seems perfectly normal tbh. The only thing that people are objecting to is that it was done without spending money?

Genuinely don't get the controversy here.

• Like 2