Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Avatar 19.7, Puss 11.5, M3GAN 9.8, Missing 9.3, Otto 9

1. Sing $270,395,425

2. My Big Fat Greek Wedding $241,438,208

3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel $219,614,612

4. Alvin and the Chipmunks $217,326,974

5. A Star Is Born $215,288,866

6. Sherlock Holmes $209,028,679

7. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me $206,040,086

8. World War Z $202,359,711

8 of them already above $200m, if that’s where PIB2 is headed. 

Sometimes I foget just how big a hit A Star Is Born was. Wow. Love that film. I actually contributed to that US gross because I went to see it on holiday in Miami. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

This made me thinking, which film made the most after falling from #1. A quick glance reveals it's Incredibles 2, though I'm too busy to look at others. 

A fun stat. Wonder about after falling out of top 5.

6 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

I'm pretty sure it's still Top Gun lol

After losing #1:

I2 340

TGM 375

Both lost it to a Jurassic World movie. Inside Out made 322 after losing #1 to the other movie int he trilogy if we go by dailies.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

1. Sing $270,395,425

2. My Big Fat Greek Wedding $241,438,208

3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel $219,614,612

4. Alvin and the Chipmunks $217,326,974

5. A Star Is Born $215,288,866

6. Sherlock Holmes $209,028,679

7. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me $206,040,086

8. World War Z $202,359,711

8 of them already above $200m, if that’s where PIB2 is headed. 

Sometimes I foget just how big a hit A Star Is Born was. Wow. Love that film. I actually contributed to that US gross because I went to see it on holiday in Miami. 

Austin shouldn’t be in there, seems to be an error, they have it opening to $17 million when it actually opened over $50 million and it definitely was #1 for a week.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

How tf are there films that made that much without ever making top10

Just open in the penumbra of a larger movie (Rogue One, Avatar (2x), I am Legend, Monsters University, Transformers, Venom, BH6)

Or pull a mbfgw and go absolutely loonie for like a full year or whatever.

42 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

A fun stat. Wonder about after falling out of top 5.

It would depend on how you define falling out of top 5, because rankings can bounce around for daily numbers, but Incredibles 2 fell to 7th on Fri 7/27, never got back higher than 6th, and made another $43M. And $22.2M after dropping out of top 10 - that was just an incredibly packed summer

TFA was ~$31M below T5, BhoRap ~$40M, Elvis - $36M, Despicable Me ~$36M, Aladdin $30M, Showman ~$28M, Avatar $26M, Titanic $39M. If something was higher it was likely a leggy family (or senior?) movie that came out in Summer or Holidays when more releases opened pushing it down the rankings, but continued to hold as they dropped off

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

Just now, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Just open in the penumbra of a larger movie (Rogue One, Avatar (2x), I am Legend, Monsters University, Transformers, Venom, BH6)

Or pull a mbfgw and go absolutely loonie for like a full year or whatever.

I mean, yeah, that works, pretty obvious for never hitting #1. But never even making top 10?!

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean, yeah, that works, pretty obvious for never hitting #1. But never even making top 10?!

Oh, I misread. Some of those are basically museum movies — never very wide in a traditional release sense but can continue being shown for years or even decades. And some are just platform releases that never went quite wide enough during a time with healthy competition.  

Wonder what the 1/5/10 lists look like for post pandemic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

How tf are there films that made that much without ever making top10

Most of those are IMAX specialties that used to be played when there was a gap between releases (or at non-movie theater IMAX locations). Space Station 3D had 933 week run that only ended with the pandemic

• Like 1