Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Avatar 19.7, Puss 11.5, M3GAN 9.8, Missing 9.3, Otto 9

58 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

1. Sing $270,395,425

2. My Big Fat Greek Wedding $241,438,208

3. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel $219,614,612

4. Alvin and the Chipmunks $217,326,974

5. A Star Is Born $215,288,866

6. Sherlock Holmes $209,028,679

7. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me $206,040,086

8. World War Z $202,359,711

8 of them already above $200m, if that’s where PIB2 is headed. 

Sometimes I foget just how big a hit A Star Is Born was. Wow. Love that film. I actually contributed to that US gross because I went to see it on holiday in Miami. 

Those CHIPMUNKS movies, whoa.

First Numbers rolling in:

Whale = $1.281M (-15%)

More importantly, a +50% Sat vs +39% last week; probably skewed since the previews at the ~700 expanding locations were rolled into last Friday, but still suggests we'll see bigger Saturday increases than last week for the rest of the slate. They also project a -30% Sun, which seems optimistic to me

38 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

How tf are there films that made that much without ever making top10

A lot of IMAX documentaries that play in museums forever. The first movie on the "Never Top 10" list that's not propped up by IMAX seems to be The Artist, which was boosted by awards season back when that still helped. But even the early 2010s awards boost could only do so much for a silent movie in black and white. Interestingly The Artist covers a lot of the same territory as Babylon, while being much shorter and having a much smaller budget ($15m vs $80-110m).

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Those CHIPMUNKS movies, whoa.

Opened vs I am Legend and Avatar respectively, but incredibly popular and why we got 4 of them in just 8 years

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

How tf are there films that made that much without ever making top10

Most of these are actually just IMAX science documentaries that play at museums for years and years and years. Like Space Station 3D for example premiered in 2002 and has been playing at random science museums since 2020. I'm sure some random museum is still playing it today, but BOM just doesn't track it post-COVID anymroe. Very easy to rack up coin when your movie plays on a loop for years and years and years.

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

73mil after a 9.8mil weekend. It wont be easy but i think it can.

Smile did almost $13 million on its third weekend(against Halloween Ends) bringing its total to $71 mil. Megan is dropping a lot harder than Smile (even though it has no competition). Using that I just don’t see Megan hitting $100 million.

• Like 1