Eric Deetz

I Know What You Did Last Summer sequel | July 18, 2025 | Sony | Hewitt and Prinze Jr. will return

https://deadline.com/2023/02/i-know-what-you-did-last-summer-sony-jennifer-kaytin-robinson-jennifer-love-hewitt-freddie-prinze-jr-1235250808/

EXCLUSIVE: Following the successful relaunch of Scream, Sony Pictures is looking to blow new life in to its own slasher franchise as sources tell Deadline that Jennifer Kaytin Robinson has been tapped to direct a I Know What You Did Last Summer sequel, with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Freddie Prinze Jr in talks to reprise their roles. Insiders say the project is still early development and that Neal H. Moritz is in talks to return as producer, with Leah McKendrick on board to write the script.

Sony had no comment on the project.

While McKendrick is penning the pic, the idea for the new film came from Robinson and McKendrick, who blew away studio execs when they pitched this idea for a sequel last fall especially given the recent success of the Scream franchise. That film was recently relaunched with original cast members returning, and the idea of bringing back original castmembers to draw in old-school fans while also adding fresh faces to relaunch the series was too good for the studio to pass up. Another big factor was the recent success of Robinson’s Netflix pic Do Revenge, which was lauded for its throwbacks to late-’90s pics like Cruel Intentions and was something execs knew Robinson could tap into when developing the new story.

Sony also saw it important to not reboot the franchise but do a sort of “passing of the torch”-type sequel where original castmembers are brought back as a new generation cast members are added to the ensemble, similar to films like Scream or Creed. Once the idea was pitched by Robinson and McKendrick, the next step was getting Hewitt and Prinze back on board, which the two were game for after hearing the pitch.

I thought the original movie was terrible when I rewatched it as an adult, but I will always have nostalgia for the times I watched it when I was a kid. It was one of the most iconic movies of my childhood. I'll be there on opening day for this sequel. There is potential for the franchise to be revitalized with a damn good sequel like Scream 5 did, and will be great to see J-Love Hewitt and Prinze Jr on the big screen again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

If Jennifer Lovehugetits is in it then I am there opening day, then again she is in her 40s now so that’s a problem 

It is? 

This is incredible news for me, adore the first film. And I Still Know (there I said it). 

Edited by Krissykins

I was wondering how long it would take for them to give this the rebootquel treatment after the success of Scream lmao. Sure, why not, I'm here for it.

Sounds as if it's coming together quickly so it's likely being fast-tracked for next summer in all likelihood. That or October (for Halloween and also when the original was released).

I actually thought this story leant itself better to a retelling ala Friday the 13th than Scream did. Coastal atmosphere is a bit more eerie, this had a lot less laughs than Scream and was a more serious horror film. 

Also hard to fathom how much the late 90s and early 2000s seem to be "in" right now. They should find a way for 90s teen icon Sarah Michelle Gellar to be in this somehow. Still waiting for an announcement for a new Mummy film.

Edited by excel1

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

They should find a way for 90s teen icon Sarah Michelle Gellar to be in this somehow.

This same director brought her back in the recent Netflix hit Do Revenge in what was essentially a grown-up version of her Cruel Intentions role

Some side trivia: Jennifer Kaytin Robinson made a film inspired by a Taylor Swift song which Taylor watched and in turn got inspired to write another song based on the movie.

Yeah okay I'm sold.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, excel1 said:

I actually thought this story leant itself better to a retelling ala Friday the 13th than Scream did. Coastal atmosphere is a bit more eerie, this had a lot less laughs than Scream and was a more serious horror film. 

Also hard to fathom how much the late 90s and early 2000s seem to be "in" right now. They should find a way for 90s teen icon Sarah Michelle Gellar to be in this somehow. Still waiting for an announcement for a new Mummy film.

Sarah Michelle Gellar died in the first film and we were shown her corpse so there’s no coming back for her unfortunately. 

I hope they don’t retcon I Still Know. They should bring Brandy back too. 

Julie James is lame and was overshadowed by her best friend in both movies.

I still find it bizarre that the first movie, right off the heels of Scream, is exactly what Scream was spoofing. But I'm a simple boy and I like all horror movies set at the coast.

I Still Know is probably a Top 10 most entertaining movie for me. Awful, awful, awful in every way but so much fun. Benson! Rio! Ray in the pawn shop! Absolute comedy. It also unironically has the greatest soundtrack ever.