Eric the Ape

Magazine Dreams | Delayed | Searchlight Pictures | Jonathan Majors

https://deadline.com/2023/02/jonathan-majors-magazine-dreams-searchlight-pictures-acquisition-sundance-film-festival-elijah-bynum-1235259129/

EXCLUSIVE: Searchlight Pictures is closing a deal for Magazine Dreams, the Elijah Bynum scripted and directed drama that stars Jonathan Majors as a troubled amateur bodybuilder willing to go to any lengths to be noticed. Sources said that Neon, Sony Pictures Classics and HBO were also in the mix. Will apprise of release plans when deal becomes official.

Majors is about to get a major star escalation playing Kang the Conqueror in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania that leads into the next Avengers, and squares off against Michael B. Jordan in Creed III.

His performance as Killian Maddox in Magazine Dreams really shows his full range and the acting chops honed at Yale and in turns that have included Lovecraft Country, The Last Black Man in San Franciso, The Harder They Fall, and most recently Devotion. His commitment in Magazine Dreams goes well beyond the 6000+ daily calories and endless workouts that got his bench press up to 340 pounds, to convincingly play an amateur bodybuilder. What is most impressive is how Majors inhabited the soul of a troubled and socially awkward young man who is so hellbent on coming out of his hell and succeeding that he has ravaged his liver with steroids and created combustible anger issues for himself. As things continue to go wrong for him, Maddox progressively heads into the darkest places during his trip down the rabbit hole, but almost never loses the audience’s hope that he will somehow pull out of the nosedive.

Okay I'm very against the idea of writing movies off for tax purposes but I legitimately have no idea what they're gonna do now. It's basically Birth of a Nation all over again: a legitimate best picture contender who's chances have been obliterated.

Though I guess Searchlight did eventually release Birth of a Nation so I guess thats the bar here.

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I am so confused. I doo not know the details of this but he is obviously not the first person in recent memory to have assault charges, am I missing something here?

Charges versus actual conviction by a court to be found guilty. Just charges can be made to go away, convictions remain.

aHtDMsa.png

Majors ruined his career to look like the bigger balloon animal compared to Michael B Jordan

Unrelated, but name a better duo than Hollywood and setting unrealistic standards for men and woman alike. 

It wouldn’t surprise me. Granted I know some guys really can get huge thanks to genetics, but his physique was on a pretty insane level in that movie. And certain roids will absolutely cause major aggressive tendencies. You’d think people would learn after all the knowledge we have about roids at this point. 

Also the irony of this convo in a thread about a bodybuilding movie… 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me. Granted I know some guys really can get huge thanks to genetics, but his physique was on a pretty insane level in that movie. And certain roids will absolutely cause major aggressive tendencies. You’d think people would learn after all the knowledge we have about roids at this point. 

Yea, Majors was looking extra lean and huge. People on Twitter like to shame women for doing plastic surgery, but Lot of men, in Hollywood, particularly action stars juice up, with some sort of steroids, for certain roles. Most obvious being the Rock and Hemsworth. Jason Statham has to be the one of the only natural one. 

• Like 2

LMAO these days almost everyone in hollywood is juiced up, "good genetics" and "chicken and broccoli" is derision at this point.

Do you really think a 50 plus guy like the Rock is having all that beef without hormones and steroids?