Eric is Anxious

The Watchers | June 7, 2024 | Ishana Night Shyamalan directs | New Line Cinema

36 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

They should've just stayed put in the first place instead of allowing the ill-fated-looking The Crow remake to twist their arm into pushing it back a week.

21 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

GNeTKl7aYAAIukm?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Interesting to read in the BOT email report that this is having much better social awareness than any other horror so far this year. Genre needs a hit in 2024.

Posted (edited)

This will make a profit for the studio. The Daughter will get into the same niche as the father.

Still the fall of M Night with just one film is like something I have never seen . Yes, he did recover enough to have a sucessful career with modestly budgeted films, but it is along way from the days when he was being widely hailed as the next Speilberg.

WHy Lady In the Water so damaged his career is a bit of a puzzle, let's leave out if it was a good film or not. IOther directors have had just a big a  bomb but still kept their A status,M Night has never really gotten his back. He did get a couple of big budget projects, but both his version 'Of The Last Airbender" and "After Earth" failed to life him out of his niche. AIr bend made a profit but was reallaay badly reseived,..fans of the TV sereis really hated it..and After Earth was an out and out bomb.

I think he is a situation where he can get funding for his modest bueget niche horror projects, but no one will trust him with a really big budget. I don't see that changing.

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)

Reviews on previews day 

Not that is necessarily means it’s awful these days. Both The Watchers and The First Omen get reviews on previews day, one get 10% and the other +80%

But not super promising, let’s see

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 12:48 PM, ThomasNicole said:

Reviews on previews day 

Not that is necessarily means it’s awful these days. Both The Watchers and The First Omen get reviews on previews day, one get 10% and the other +80%

But not super promising, let’s see

Went to the premiere Sunday. The movie's actually pretty good. Definitely takes a surprising turn in the 3rd act that definitely won't be as intriguing/compelling as the first 2. Will probably be the most talked about part. Would not be surprised about a B cinemascore. Could go + or -  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Jeez, Ishana also is the writer here. I just hope the dialogue is not as loughable, as in most of her father's scripts 

The dialogue is mostly good, but I do remember some moments that felt very much like the awkward and stilted lines from M Night. 

Guess this is going to be another sub $10 million horror opener.

Man the horror genre has just imploded. I chalk it up to the habits of the main audience for horror (teens to early 20's) changing. It used to be that teens would get together with their boyfriends and girlfriends or a group of friends and go see pretty much whatever horror movie was out. The floor for these horror movies was pretty high. Now they don't do that anymore for any movies but horror was the genre that most relied on that habit and that genre I think.

The wealth of entertainment options and massive inflation play huge roles in this, but a more specific factor I suspect is at play here is that horror these days seems to be really reliant on and based around body horror and slashers. Slashers have always been a thing but it seems like most horror movies are getting pretty brutal in this regard and I think less and less people have an appetite for that. Spooky horror is what really sold well almost every time. It's my preferred brand of horror anyway.

That's my essay on the horror genre conundrum lol.

12 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Guess this is going to be another sub $10 million horror opener.

Man the horror genre has just imploded. I chalk it up to the habits of the main audience for horror (teens to early 20's) changing. It used to be that teens would get together with their boyfriends and girlfriends or a group of friends and go see pretty much whatever horror movie was out. The floor for these horror movies was pretty high. Now they don't do that anymore for any movies but horror was the genre that most relied on that habit and that genre I think.

The wealth of entertainment options and massive inflation play huge roles in this, but a more specific factor I suspect is at play here is that horror these days seems to be really reliant on and based around body horror and slashers. Slashers have always been a thing but it seems like most horror movies are getting pretty brutal in this regard and I think less and less people have an appetite for that. Spooky horror is what really sold well almost every time. It's my preferred brand of horror anyway.

That's my essay on the horror genre conundrum lol.

Don´t think so, horror is strong every year even after pandemic. This year has been an exceptional but truth being told, most movies just sucked hard. And still they´re not huge flops because of low budgets.

There´s a lot of horror movies in the next months, some expected to be very good, let´s see how it goes.

• Like 1