kayumanggi

THE LITTLE MERMAID | 271.5M overseas | 569.6M worldwide

On 5/27/2023 at 11:37 AM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Yes but that had 2 days of previews already, while I guess the front loaded effect will affect friday here since it is the opening day. We shall see but I don't see it surpassing Aladdin. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Oh ok I guess the anglo world really is the saving grace for this movie. USA+ UK + AUS should be higher than Aladdin, while elsewhere it flops. France might be an exception but Aladdin's opening was dismal there so it's not really a good ground to work on.

EDIT:

https://www.screendaily.com/news/aladdin-wins-uk-box-office-battle-with-57m-weekend/5139938.article

I've found this article.

Aladdin's 3 day fri-sun gross was £5.7m. How big of a Jump is expected for TLM Sat-Sun? if it stays flat and does Friday X 3 it ends up at £4.7m.

Stayed flat in the UK with a £1.7M satturday. Won't match Aladdin, just as I expected. 

8 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Germany

1st Trend → 2nd Trend → 3rd Trend

275K → 250K → 215K ~ admits

Won't reach Aladdin here too 

Probably not. But to be fair, the weather here is great. All films suffered.
Where I live it was grey for months (!) and of course now people go crazy. I think even Mark_G from insidekino.de underestimated the weather impact. Maybe therefor the legs are better. Problem is, the next two weeks are predicted to become pretty sunny.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

France

Aladdin OW - 470K / 1st Week - 564K

TLM will do - 450K OW / 600K Week 1 per Charlie 

So this is outpacing Aladdin in France, indeed. I guess inflaction made ticket prices way higher so we are going to see quite a bit of increase in the money total. Weird that it's flopping everyhwere in EU but not in France.

Yeh I didn’t expect it to only increase 10% here on Saturday. The weather is playing a part, look at the other films, muted Saturdays across the board. 

I’d say maybe it could stay flat on Sunday, but it’s even sunnier today. ☀️ I’ve actually delayed my showing until tomorrow as well. 

Maybe £4.8m 3 day, £6m 4 day. 

13 hours ago, Jiffy said:

It's interesting we keep seeing this when the only foreign-language films to really break through the zeitgeist here (give or take Pan's Labyrinth) in the U.S. in the past 25 years have been Asian films.

So like two cases in those past 25 years? The crouching hidden dragon or whatever was the name and Parasite which despite being the best film of the year and winning several oscaes grossed just 53M

Just now, Issac Newton said:

I think @Prince Eric already warned not to bring topics back on racism/colorism/white supremacy.. We shouldn't do discuss things deeper in ethics and race that could derail the thread.

Had no idea. With that said, my understanding is that this adds context of why it would perform like that in South America. I’m very confident that it will perform well in Brazil because while racism is a thing here as much as in the US, we are a lot more politicized about it. Maybe not as much as in the US, but still.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't think we really needed this . It's just gonna derail the thread. 

I think that context matters. Situation in South America, especially outside Brazil is different than let’s say Asia. If @Prince Eric@Cap or any of the mods think I’m out of hand, I will remove the post. But I think it’s kinda unfair to analyze data without context. We talk about how the African-American community rallied behind Black Panther, Woman King and now The Little Mermaid, but when it comes to international box office we ignore context and trash the film’s performance without context because ~reasons~? Yeah I don’t follow.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think that context matters. Situation in South America, especially outside Brazil is different than let’s say Asia. If @Prince Eric@Cap or any of the mods think I’m out of hand, I will remove the post. But I think it’s kinda unfair to analyze data without context. We talk about how the African-American community rallied behind Black Panther, Woman King and now The Little Mermaid, but when it comes to international box office we ignore context and trash the film’s performance without context because ~reasons~? Yeah I don’t follow.

Because it will start petty fights and flame wars that we don’t need. We have already discussed how racism has impacted the movie’s performance already and have had to lock this thread once yesterday. We don’t need to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, Prince Eric said:

Because it will start petty fights and flame wars that we don’t need. We have already discussed how racism has impacted the movie’s performance already and have had to lock this thread once yesterday. We don’t need to do it again.

The particularity here is that I’m actually surprised by how well it’s doing in the US. It had a lot against it and it’s doing well. I just don’t think that laughing at the film’s performance in South America outside Brazil is fair without understanding context. We all know that racism exists, but there is a lot of disinformation being spread around on several posts about how "failing in South America proves that this isn’t about racism", when that post proves that Argentina is the whitest of the South American countries and that was achieved by little known ethnic cleansing.

While TLM is rallying behind Aladdin, TLK and BatB, one can’t deny that TLM was always the less popular of those. Going with an African-American actress to play Ariel that is talented af and has proven herself to own the role was a bold decision and my understanding is that it’s paying off. Some countries won’t be showing up, and I think that adding context on why it’s incredibly important to avoid people piling on and doing victory laps over the supposed film’s failings, but to each their own. 

• Knock It Off 1