cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

Big setback for anyone who is expecting a Heron upset against ATSV. Heron isn't even nominated here. In the past 14 years, every eventual Oscar Best animated feature won here, except the only time a movie that didn't get to win an Oscar while it won ACE was The Lego movie.

Best Edited Animated Feature Film

• Elemental — Stephen Schaffer, ACE
  • Nimona — Randy Trager, ACE; Erin Crackel
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — Michael Andrews, ACE
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie — Eric Osmond
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem — Greg Levitan, ACE

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Big setback for anyone who is expecting a Heron upset against ATSV. Heron isn't even nominated here. In the past 14 years, every eventual Oscar Best animated feature won here, except the only time a movie that didn't get to win an Oscar while it won ACE was The Lego movie.

Best Edited Animated Feature Film

• Elemental — Stephen Schaffer, ACE
  • Nimona — Randy Trager, ACE; Erin Crackel
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — Michael Andrews, ACE
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie — Eric Osmond
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem — Greg Levitan, ACE

something tells me this is biased to American movies.

Just now, cannastop said:

something tells me this is biased to American movies.

Going through their list they never nominated an anime film and only once Non-english animation. There is genre bias for sure but statistically this is still a big setback for Heron. 

ATSV is the biggest winner at Annie, wining 7 awards including Best Animated Feature and Direction. Heron takes 2 win in the category where ATSV isn't nominated. The favour again skewing ATSV heavily now.

Heron takes GG but do remember GG failed to recognize Miyazaki in the past, thus making Heron win looked like a "compensation" prize. Whereas critics choice and Annie which did pick Spirited Away as winner back in 2002, both of them choose ATSV in the showdown. 

The surprise upset is still possible at the Oscar but I must say at this juncture it does look like ATSV is taking this one unless BAFTA and PGA mess up the race. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking for a minute it’s just gonna be Spider verse winning everything from now. Spirited Away just got lucky there wasn’t really an acclaimed American animation that year.

Still could have easily gone to Lilo & Stitch, but I mostly agree.

I'm surprised they didn't give it to Nimona simply because of it's narrative (from humble beginnings on tumblr, to a graphic novel, to being shoved around, cancelled, rebought, finished, etc).

Well I can rest easy know Robot Dreams got at least best Independent. I still think Across was too cluttered in an attempt to be ~complete and not get people too mad about a sequel hook.

It is quite obvious now the international bloc are voting in favour of Heron whereas US-based voters are favouring ATSV. I suppose PGA would go with ATSV.  This is some good come back after Annie awards but like I said, I am not sure if BAFTA voters are taking this opportunity to correct their snub of Spirited Away 20 years ago, or they genuinely think Heron is a better film. This is a factor to consider because Oscar voters wouldn't have that overdue pressure for Miyazaki. 

ATSV will be a worthy winner for the animation and realization of Spider-Punk and Gwen's world alone.

12 hours ago, cannastop said:

Still could have easily gone to Lilo & Stitch, but I mostly agree.

TBF Spirited Away was the biggest Japanese film at the time (and for almost 20 years afterwards) which I guess made it impossible to ignore. BatH is not at the same cultural level and Miyazaki has shown interest in making another film which takes away the 'Miyazaki's last film' card.

Edited by Spidey Freak