cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

The old HFPA wouldn't have been choosing Heron over Spider-Verse for sure. I feel like the Academy voters are closer to HFPA than the new Golden Globes voting body especially when it comes to Animated Feature, so I wouldn't count AtSV out yet.

30 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The old HFPA wouldn't have been choosing Heron over Spider-Verse for sure. I feel like the Academy voters are closer to HFPA than the new Golden Globes voting body especially when it comes to Animated Feature, so I wouldn't count AtSV out yet.

Well,  They did have their first non-English and international animation winner 17 years before Parasite took Oscar by the storm. Also, Academy selection of nominees have been always regarded a better bunch by critics and industry. Yes they have bias when come to winner but their nominees have been cool. They managed to pick some niche international works like princess kaguya , I lost My body, Boy n the Hood, Persepolis, Chico & Rita. From here I don't see the Academy has preference closer to old HFPA. 

ATSV is still very much frontrunner but Heron is obviously challenging its dominance. I still have ATSV as predicted winner because Miyazaki's refusal to campaign and he didn't bother showing up at GG. Also, Sony has realised the favour for ATSV is slipping away and they are stepping up their campaign too. That should allow ATSV to recover a bit. 

I think the changed voting body with the golden globes is something worth taking note of. They went from like 90 members to 300 members in one year which is a pretty big change. And they added a lot more critics to their association. Their winners this year did have more of a "critics group" vibe than usual (I don't think the old school globes would've given Anatomy of a Fall best screenplay over the bigger names there). Just something to flag that yeah I don't think Spider-Verse is out of the running it could totally still win all the industry awards.

Edited by CoolioD1

Annie awards nominations

Best Feature:
Nimona
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Suzume
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
The Boy and the Heron

Best Feature- Independent
Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia
Four Souls of Coyote
Robot Dreams
The Inventor
White Plastic Sky

No Elemental.

A little surprised The Boy and the Heron isn’t independent but I guess that makes sense.

Edited by cannastop

So surprised that Nimoma got this many nomination. Netflix is really turning itself into an animation powerhouse streamer. I believe this is the first time both Pixar and Disney are shut out from the best feature category. Suzume also overperforms. Now the fifth slot at the Oscar is really up for grab in between Nimona.

Elemental really take a hit here. Even finding dory, cars 3 or monster university and good dinosaur make it to best feature list. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

So surprised that Nimoma got this many nomination. Netflix is really turning itself into an animation powerhouse streamer. I believe this is the first time both Pixar and Disney are shut out from the best feature category. Suzume also overperforms. Now the fifth slot at the Oscar is really up for grab in between Nimona.

Elemental really take a hit here. Even finding dory, cars 3 or monster university and good dinosaur make it to best feature list. 

I mean...Finding Dory made over $1b WW and has a 94% RT score...Not exactly surprising it was nominated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I mean...Finding Dory made over $1b WW and has a 94% RT score...Not exactly surprising it was nominated.

Getting OT, but I’ve always thought Dory is the strongest of the non-TS sequels by a mile. And much stronger than TS4 too. 

Producers Guild of America Awards Nominations

Award for Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures

• “The Boy and the Heron” (GKids)
  • “Elemental” (Pixar)
  • “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” (Sony Pictures)
  • “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” (Illumination/Universal Pictures)
  • “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” (Paramount Pictures)
  • Like 2

Boy and the Heron getting in PGA animation is a big news. This is the first time foreign language animation got in PGA. The first for Miyazaki and Ghibli (They snubbed SA back then), and the second GKIDS nomination in PGA! 

If even PGA can be this open to a non-english foreign animation from GKIDS, they snubbed 11 out of 12 GKIDS eventual Oscar nominees after all, I would expect Oscar to be even receptive. Heron really stand a chance to beat ATSV now.

All those Mario detractors: have yall just been outright ignoring how many high profile places it’s gotten into the 5 cat now?

As I’ve been saying, it has a good chance to get in at the Oscars. It may even have the third best chance after the obvious two. I’m not calling any of spots 3-5 a lock though given there’s literally like 6 movies vying for them. 

The awards season so far:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - 115 points

28 wins - Atlanta, Michigan, NBR, DC, Vegas, NY Online, Phoenix (PCC), Indiana, Boston Online, St. Louis, Phoenix (PFCS), North Texas, Southeastern, Black, Online Female, Oklahoma, Central Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, DiscussingFilm, Utah, HCA, Capri; Hollywood Film Fest, Austin, Denver, Hawaii, North American
5 RUs - Boston, Toronto, Dallas, San Diego, New Mexico
21 noms - Chicago, GG, CC, Florida, Utah, Satellite, London, Greater Western NY, Columbus, San Francisco, Portland, Chicago Indie, North Dakota, Music City, ADG, CAS, Houston, Paris, Annie, PGA, CSA’s Artios

The Boy and the Heron - 73 points

12 wins - NYFCC, LAFCA, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Diego, Florida, New Mexico, Great Western NY, GG, San Francisco
4 RUs - Toronto, St. Louis, Georgia, DiscussingFilm
29 noms - Michigan, HCA, Vegas, DC, North Texas, Indiana, Phoenix (PCC), CC, Utah, Satellite, Online Female, London, North Carolina, Columbus, Austin, Seattle, Denver, Hawaii, Portland, Chicago Indie, North Dakota, Music City, ADG, CAS, Houston, Paris, Annie, PGA, North American

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - 36 points

2 RU - Boston, Central Florida
32 noms - Michigan, HCA, Chicago, Vegas, DC, St. Louis, North Texas, Phoenix (PCC), CC, Florida, Utah, Satellite, Online Female, London, North Carolina, Greater Western NY, Georgia, Columbus, Austin, Seattle, Denver, Hawaii, Portland, Chicago Indie, Music City, ADG, CAS, Houston, Annie, PGA, CSA’s Artios, North American

Robot Dreams - 33 points

3 wins - EFA, Toronto, Nevada
5 RUs - LAFCA, Boston, Indiana, Philadelphia, Utah
14 noms - Chicago, St. Louis, Florida, San Diego, Satellite, London, Georgia, San Francisco, Hawaii, North Dakota, Music City, Houston, Paris, Annie (Indie)

Elemental - 27 points

27 noms - HCA, Vegas, DC, St. Louis, GG, North Texas, Phoenix (PCC), CC, Satellite, Online Female, North Carolina, Greater Western NY, Georgia, Columbus, Austin, San Francisco, Denver, Hawaii, Portland, Chicago Indie, North Dakota, Music City, ADG, CAS, PGA, CSA’s Artios, North American

Nimona - 19 points

1 Win - Columbus
16 noms - Michigan, HCA, DC, Indiana, CC, San Diego, Utah, Online Female, North Carolina, Greater Western NY, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago Indie, North Dakota, Houston, Annie

The Super Mario Bros. Movie - 10 points

10 noms - Michigan, Vegas, GG, North Texas, Indiana, Denver, ADG, CAS, PGA, North American

Suzume - 10 points

10 noms - HCA, GG, Indiana, Florida, Satellite, London, Austin, Seattle, Paris, Annie

No other film has  more than 5 points.

• Like 2