cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually suzume is getting more traction than I expected among critics circuit. Still, I don’t think the momentum is strong enough. They have to campaign harder to get that fifth slot, which Nimona is looking to take that slot.

Suzume just got a golden globe nomination and Nimona didn't so there's def still life in it.

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Suzume just got a golden globe nomination and Nimona didn't so there's def still life in it.

Omg, unexpected nomination for suzume. 

And heron got in score is the first sign the movie is gaining momentum outside of best animated feature. 

The thing is the Golden Globes are usually less friendly to foreign animations and are more likely to nominate big studio stuff, this is actually Miyazaki's first nomination there too. So take out Mario and Wish and put in like Robot Dreams or Nimona or something and that might be the line-up.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

I told yall Mario is unlikely to get ignored by the shows like Globes and Oscars. Too many in both orgs don’t watch most of these movies and Mario was simply way too huge for them to ignore. It’s likely the “kid’s choice” among a lot of the voter’s children, so movies like that always have an edge with the Academy. 

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I told yall Mario is unlikely to get ignored by the shows like Globes and Oscars. Too many in both orgs don’t watch most of these movies and Mario was simply way too huge for them to ignore. It’s likely the “kid’s choice” among a lot of the voter’s children, so movies like that always have an edge with the Academy. 

The golden globes have usually nominated trashy big studio animated movies that the Oscars ended up ignoring. I am not surprised at all they nominated Mario, still don't think it'll get an Oscar nod.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The golden globes have usually nominated trashy big studio animated movies that the Oscars ended up ignoring. I am not surprised at all they nominated Mario, still don't think it'll get an Oscar nod.

Do they? Seems like both go for the stuff that was a huge grosser. We have it on record that many in the Academy view the category as “for kids” and don’t bother watching a lot of them. So this is how it happens the popular stuff usually gets in. Unless it’s something with dreadful rep among adults, such as Minions. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Do they? Seems like both go for the stuff that was a huge grosser. We have it on record that many in the Academy view the category as “for kids” and don’t bother watching a lot of them. So this is how it happens the popular stuff usually gets in. Unless it’s something with dreadful rep among adults, such as Minions. 

I dunno stuff that got nominated at the Globes that missed at the Oscars are like; Frozen 2, Sing, the first Despicable Me, Hotel Transylvania, Cars 2, The Simpsons Movie, The Good Dinosaur, Lion King 2019. Mario makes sense to join that group to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

I dunno stuff that got nominated at the Globes that missed at the Oscars are like; Frozen 2, Sing, the first Despicable Me, Hotel Transylvania, Cars 2, The Simpsons Movie, The Good Dinosaur, Lion King 2019. Mario makes sense to join that group to me.

None of those are remotely comparable in success except Frozen 2 though (not sure TLK 19 even qualified, I hope not). Some of them were outright flops. I’d say you can chalk Frozen 2 missing only because the Academy is very sequel resistant in general.