cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

Even though I ended up loving Wish I still kinda hope it's not nominated at this point. Just would tick people off and there are probably much more obscure animated movies in bigger need of the extra exposure.

Seeing as I'm considering Migration a contender, I'd be remiss if I didn't also call attention to the Ernest and Celestine sequel that was released stateside this year. Being GKIDS though I'd guess they're gonna put all their weight behind Boy and the Heron

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ernest_and_celestine_a_trip_to_gibberitia

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, cannastop said:
  1. The Boy and the Heron (winner)
  2. Spider-Verse 2
  3. Elemental
  4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem
  5. Nimona
  6. Suzume

Sadly I don't think Nimona will get nominated and Leo has a higher chance of sneaking in. 

Nimona got overlooked since Netflix released it on the same month than Spiderverse, Elemental and Ruby.

Had it been released on October, I would have been more confident on it

• Like 1

Best Animated Film

Elemental (Pixar/Walt Disney Studios)

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Dreamworks/Universal)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sony Pictures/Marvel)

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Universal Pictures)

Suzume (Crunchyroll)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (Paramount Pictures)

Las Vegas Film Critics Society

Best Animated Film:

The Boy and the Heron

Elemental

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

So far, The Boy and the Heron, and Spider-Verse have been dominating, TMNT hasn't missed a single nomination and the power of Pixar will push through Elemental even with milding reviews. Even though it's a bit too early, i think those 4 are pretty much ahead of everything else. The fifth place is up for grabs with Wish being a disastrous commercial and critical bomb.

15 minutes ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Las Vegas Film Critics Society

Best Animated Film:

The Boy and the Heron

Elemental

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

So far, The Boy and the Heron, and Spider-Verse have been dominating, TMNT hasn't missed a single nomination and the power of Pixar will push through Elemental even with milding reviews. Even though it's a bit too early, i think those 4 are pretty much ahead of everything else. The fifth place is up for grabs with Wish being a disastrous commercial and critical bomb.

Netflix is pretty good at getting at least one of their films through, so I bet that will be #5. The academy's Disney bias will also allow for Elemental to get a nod.

• Like 1

Washington Film Critics Association 

Best Animated Film:

The Boy and the Heron

Elemental

Nimona

Top 4 as usual, with Nimona as the fifth. It would be a great line-up ignoring Elemental/Pixar's guaranteed spot no matter what they dish out.

• Like 2

What a great category, if only Elemental wasn't a shoe-in due to Pixar's reputation and strength.

The Boy and the Heron, Spider-Verse, TMNT, Robot Dreams, Nimona, Suzume... Pixar has no business being in contention this year.

My only solace is that it won't be blocking a TMNT nomination which could have been the case if Wish and Chicken Run 2 had a lot better reception that they were/are getting. I'm really glad the critics have judged the film on it's merits and didn't thumb their noses because the franchise has been a critical disaster historically. Seeing a TMNT film nominated by the Chicago film critics and a runner-up by the Boston film critics is incredibly satisfying. 

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 1