cookie

Best Animated Feature 2023

I don't buy that it's always "whichever movie the academy members' children liked the most"

Otherwise how would Spirited Away have won 20 years ago? Would have gone to Lilo & Stitch. I actually do believe The Boy and the Heron has a great shot at winning this time around.

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't buy that it's always "whichever movie the academy members' children liked the most"

Otherwise how would Spirited Away have won 20 years ago? Would have gone to Lilo & Stitch. I actually do believe The Boy and the Heron has a great shot at winning this time around.

That was a fluke. Spirited Away was actually the highest grossing of the nominees. And Disney distributed it DOM which is why it won.

The last 10 years of winners prove academy members just ask their children. 

See how Frozen won over TWR. Or how Big Hero 6 won over Princess Kaguya.

I'm looking at the current Gold Derby odds and it's

1. Spider-Verse 2 (10/3)
  2. The Boy and the Heron (9/2)
  3. Elemental (5/1)
  4. Wish (15/2)
  5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (19/2)

I guess I'm a little surprised how secure Elemental is with the odds, seeing as it had mediocre reviews. But it did catch on with audiences so it's alright.

Wish appears to be locked for a nom here based on early reactions. I think given the 100 years narrative and Elemental's more lukewarm critical reception Disney's probably going to throw all their campaign weight on Wish, which opens the door for Nimona and TMNT to fill out the slate. Migration is still a dark horse though imo.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Wish appears to be locked for a nom here based on early reactions. I think given the 100 years narrative and Elemental's more lukewarm critical reception Disney's probably going to throw all their campaign weight on Wish, which opens the door for Nimona and TMNT to fill out the slate. Migration is still a dark horse though imo.

I dunno, the people at Gold Derby seem to think that Elemental will get a nod.

yeah wish isn't happening

1. Boy and Heron

2. Spiderverse

3. Elemental

4. TMNT

5. Chicken Run 2

Or maybe Nimona. Still have slight hope for Suzume too. still the best animated movie i've seen this year.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

1. Boy and Heron

2. Spiderverse

3. Elemental

4. TMNT

5. Chicken Run 2

Or maybe Nimona. Still have slight hope for Suzume too. still the best animated movie i've seen this year.

Suzume can get in.

https://www.sonypictures-awards.com/suzume/screenings/

Shinkai is campaigning for it. 2 Q&A sessions scheduled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

1. Boy and Heron

2. Spiderverse

3. Elemental

4. TMNT

5. Chicken Run 2

I wouldn’t write off wish just yet until I see how general public react and BO performance in general. Disney is essentially meryl Streep of best animated feature. I think it will get a lot of votes especially from members-at-large basically as filler in their nomination ballot. See how Ferdinand and boss baby got their nomination slot. 

But with wish got such underwhelming reaction, suzume indeed look like it is getting some sign of potential come back. The movie has been on re-release in the past few weeks and I suppose they are serious about the campaign. 

On 11/9/2023 at 1:39 AM, AniNate said:

#freezingcoldtakes

Elemental is looking like their best hope now, though now the field of the last three is wide open. Remembered Neon also has Robot Dreams this year which got a pretty great reception.

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

#freezingcoldtakes

Elemental is looking like their best hope now, though now the field of the last three is wide open. Remembered Neon also has Robot Dreams this year which got a pretty great reception.

Is robot dreams even a 2023 release?

Also, hoping we can keep Netflix out of race. They have been on the rise in this category in recent years. At some years like 2020,2021 and 2023, they even got 2 nominees.