Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Hoping it’s a Deadline mistake, because I can’t see why Scream 6 would have a Friday bump under 100%, and Creed 3 would increase 125%+. 

Is there another spring break soon? 

Yes - for K-12, the next 2 weeks (no colleges).  A certain percent are this coming week, and a certain percent are the following week...that will take care of all K-college spring breaks except a very few stragglers...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes - for K-12, the next 2 weeks (no colleges).  A certain percent are this coming week, and a certain percent are the following week...that will take care of all K-college spring breaks except a very few stragglers...

Thanks! So stronger weekdays and weaker Fri/Sat bumps. 

• Like 1

Looking at some of the international threads, I think D&D could perform more like Ghostbusters Afterlife.

GBA opened to $44M domestic - $129M total (had the holidays to help)

It made $75M international and it's biggest overseas market was the UK - $15.5M.

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Looking at some of the international threads, I think D&D could perform more like Ghostbusters Afterlife.

GBA opened to $44M domestic - $129M total (had the holidays to help)

It made $75M international and it's biggest overseas market was the UK - $15.5M.

This actually sounds probable. I never got why Ghostbusters didn't make much outside US.

17 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

This actually sounds probable. I never got why Ghostbusters didn't make much outside US.

Because Ghostbusters: Afterlife was as much if not much more of, a sequel to the cultural elements that rose following the Ghostbusters film (cartoon, toys, magazines) that were US-specific than it was a sequel to the movie itself.

- The Ghostbusters of Ghostbusters are a schlubby bunch of chancing opportunists and hack scientists who are pretty terrible human beings who happen to fall backwards into saving the world.

- The Ghostbusters of the cartoons, toys, magazines and Saturday morning kid culture were a bunch of adventurous heroes who fought ghosts while quipping happily and having a lovely time.

The latter only ever existed in the US and, to a lesser degree, in the areas that got some splash from US culture back in the 80s (ie UK, Australia, Canada). The former is what everyone else always saw and Ghostbusters: Afterlife is a completely atonal sequel to that. 

(Added to which that like all comedies, the overall cultural imprint of Ghostbusters is not quite as international in the first place as action films and blockbusters since comedy is inherently more culturally specific.)

I think D&D WILL struggle internationally. But not because of those factors, but just because it straight-up doesn't have the cultural imprint outside of North America; and because Asian markets that would otherwise be the most open to American fantasy are for various reasons all currently looking inwards.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Hoping it’s a Deadline mistake, because I can’t see why Scream 6 would have a Friday bump under 100%, and Creed 3 would increase 125%+. 

Is there another spring break soon? 

Yeh, I did think the Friday jump looked off with $1.4m. This makes more sense. 

Passing M3GAN today. 

• Like 1

I never even heard this movie was releasing, but it seems it will have a Top 5 spot?  From Deadline...

"Elsewhere, Angel Studios had the faith-based His Only Son opening at 926 theaters with an estimated $2.1M Friday and an estimated $5.5M opening. No Rotten Tomatoes critics score, but the audience loved it at 95%. PostTrak clocked great exits as well, which is typical for these films, at 93% positive, 83% recommend. 65% female leaning, 66% over 45 — again, which is standard. Largest want-to-see was those over 55 who repped 46% of the crowd. Diversity demos were 56% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 7% Black and 8% Asian/other."

Edited by TwoMisfits