kayumanggi

SPEAK NO EVIL | 09.13.2024 | Universal | remake of Danish thriller | James McAvoy & Mackenzie Davis star | James Watkins writes & directs

Deadline

After working together on the combined half billion-plus grossing hits, Split and Glass, James McAvoy and Blumhouse are reteaming for a remake of Danish thriller, Speak No Evil. James Watkins (The Woman in Black) will direct from his script. Universal has set a theatrical release of Aug. 9, 2024.

In the original 2022 movie, a Danish family visits a Dutch family they met on a holiday. What was supposed to be an idyllic weekend slowly starts unraveling as the Danes try to stay polite in the face of unpleasantness. Pic is based on the screenplay by Christian Tafdrup and Mads Tafdrup.

DEADLINE:

More tweaking to this year’s film schedule continues with Blumhouse/Universal‘s James McAvoy thriller, Speak No Evil, going from Aug. 9 to Sept. 13, where an untitled Blumhouse movie already has dibs.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:44 AM, Krissykins said:

Haven’t seen the original, so I just flicked through the trailer. Get the feeling that it’s best watched not knowing much. 

The original is from my country. Its so evil and sadistic you would not belive your own eyes….

But as a horror fan you shoul look forward to Longlegs in July. Its SO good. You must not miss it

• Astonished 1

18 hours ago, fmpro said:

The original is from my country. Its so evil and sadistic you would not belive your own eyes….

But as a horror fan you shoul look forward to Longlegs in July. Its SO good. You must not miss it

I can’t wait for Longlegs, unfortunately no UK release date for it yet though. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, Krissykins said:

Haven’t seen the original, so I just flicked through the trailer. Get the feeling that it’s best watched not knowing much. 

Well, the trailer already revealed major twists, terrible marketing. And it looks like they will ruin the ending because Hollywood .

Also the original was a wild  mix of  satirical social commentary and very uncomfortable thriller and here it's....just another running-around-from-psychos horror

Edited by cinema pal

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is screening at Comic-Con on Friday, FYI.

Oh wow. Hope it's good. Need a hit for my boy James McAvoy.

I lowkey think he has some draw power, or certainly has led some big hits. I don't really understand how his career kinda stagnated over the last 15 years

Edited by Pinacolada

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Oh wow. Hope it's good. Need a hit for my boy James McAvoy.

I lowkey think he has some draw power, or certainly has led some big hits. I don't really understand how his career kinda stagnated over the last 15 years

Eh, becoming a king of genre fare is a pretty respectable career path. Not exactly getting nominated for awards but also much better than appearing in DTV schlock.

• Like 1