Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

• Community Manager
18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm gonna get hell for this, but actors in HW are freakin overpaid. To see them strike is crazy and people on twitter crying for these actors is even more insane. Yes, i'm talking about medium and big actors, not some cameos or small actors who appear on an episode on a show.

And these overpaid actors want more, i'm pretty sure these big and medium actors are fighting for their interest, they don't care about a small time actor who got their SAG card because he appeared sometime ago on a show. That's not what they're fighting for

The vast majority of actors striking are the cameo/small actors/background actors. And yes the strike is largely about them: that's why they will be striking. 'Cause the compensation increase the strike is asking for is about them, and won't impact how much actors like Tom Cruise can ask for.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

How many executives are there in HW that get paid millions? Like 10-15 probably, the rest are not making A/B list actors money

Execs names are not worth at the box office what a A or B list actoris.

It's like sports; you don;t expect the assisitant coaches to get paid what the big name players make though they might be just as important to the team when it comes to winning games.. Nobody pays to see the coaches.

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The vast majority of actors striking are the cameo/small actors/background actors. And yes the strike is largely about them: that's why they will be striking. 'Cause the compensation increase the strike is asking for is about them, and won't impact how much actors like Tom Cruise can ask for.

Really? The whole industry is shutting down because of background.small actors?   I find that hard to believe. It's about the medium/big name actors imo feeling they're not getting enough of the pie with the new reality like Netflix and all the streaming.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Really? The whole industry is shutting down because of background.small actors?   I find that hard to believe. It's about the medium/big name actors imo feeling they're not getting enough of the pie with the new reality like Netflix and all the streaming.

Uh, the writers feel the same way.

And nice how you hold the AMPTP blameless for this mess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Again, the SAG strike isn’t about the Tom Cruise’s, but if said people are thinking this through at all, they should be in favor of the strike and writers as well… 

You are going to have people who are angry that their favorite TV shows and or Movies are going to be delayed, and they are striking out blindly.

I remember this exact same discussion during the Baseball strike of 1994 where the season was cancelled in August.. A lot of angry people blamed the 'Overpaid Players" while letting the team owners off the hook.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yes. They voted to strike. And if only the medium (who aren't paid as well as you think) and big actors had voted to strike, they wouldn't be able to strike. Cause they wouldn't have the majority vote without the small/background actors.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

you have no clue who the actual sag aftra members are

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In the words of my very Southern mama; bless your heart.

• Like 4

Just now, XXR Electric Touch said:

In the words of my very Southern mama; bless your heart.

It's exacly the same as you see when there is a strike in sports; People blame the players rather then the owners because the players are more visible.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

This argument doesn’t even make sense to me, since again I would like to know why people just assume the mega stars are ok with all this lack of AI protection? I doubt there was huge opposition among the A listers anyways. 

60% of SAG members are smaller actors

38 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, giving one streaming service a monopoly is such a great idea.

Yes, the back catalogue of all movies should be accessible on one streaming service, instead of half a dozen that all cost the same amount.