Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

13 minutes ago, Cap said:

And every punch is self inflicted. Canceling Batgirl. 250m salary. Fucking with TCM. The Flash. HBO Max to Max branding fiasco. There is a lot of reasons why people are tired with WB. 

From a business perspective, cancelling batgirl was the correct decision. From an artistic perspective? Maybe not. The mistake he made was not cancelling the Flash also and sending Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle to MAX. All the Keaton nostalgia bait movies should have been cancelled.

No marketing campaign in the world could have saved Flash, It got a B CS, it was universally hated by audiences. Maybe it would have done Shazam 2 numbers without the astroturf campaign they ran.

All of these rich CEOs are overpaid by a ridiculous degree. Yet until now no one cared how overpaid Iger was. The fact Deadline used Iger as their anti-union spin agent proved that people are just biased to him despite being a major asshole.

I don’t think the Max transition has really hurt the service, the anger seems to mostly be on niche online circles. and not transcend to reality

13 minutes ago, Cap said:

Not really. Someone hasn’t been in a Star Wars or Marvel thread lately cause the tune sure as changed. 

Iger‘s greatest strength is his ability to project confidence and calmness. He’s basically the dog in the fire saying everything is fine. His whole image tends to be that he’s a little more accessible and suave. But we all know that’s full of shit, because he showed his ass today with the CNBC interview. And we know that he made a lot of the decisions regarding Disney+ that are all coming back to haunt Disney right now. He certainly is getting a lot of shit. 

So there’s no, like one studio is better than the other studio in this scenario. All of them are garbage. All of the large corporations here are in the wrong.

Fair enough, all these guys are garbage, I know that, but I don’t know why people are so happy that Iger has returned to Disney. it’s not like he has done much improve Disney. He seems to be making a lot of vague promises he has been making but not following up on them. For example, saying that less Star Wars content is needed right after dating 3 Star Wars movies in a 2 year span. 

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Cancelling Batgirl was a good decision, probably should have chucked out everything else that wasn't Aquaman in retrospec. 

WB thought audiences would love Flash due to test screenings. If test screenings for Flash supposedly went well, we can only imagine how bad Batgirl’s screenings must have went for them to justify canning it. It was probably Catwoman tier.

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

WB thought audiences would love Flash due to test screenings. If test screenings for Flash supposedly went well, we can only imagine how bad Batgirl’s screenings must have went for them to justify canning it. It was probably Catwoman tier.

Batgirl was a Max release ,  i don't see it being worse than cw type show, it tells me its bad like when they did wonder woman pilot not so long ago , but still many people would check out a one time event as its a easy commitment

15 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

From a business perspective, cancelling batgirl was the correct decision. From an artistic perspective? Maybe not. The mistake he made was not cancelling the Flash also and sending Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle to MAX. All the Keaton nostalgia bait movies should have been cancelled.

No marketing campaign in the world could have saved Flash, It got a B CS, it was universally hated by audiences. Maybe it would have done Shazam 2 numbers without the astroturf campaign they ran.

All of these rich CEOs are overpaid by a ridiculous degree. Yet until now no one cared how overpaid Iger was. The fact Deadline used Iger as their anti-union spin agent proved that people are just biased to him despite being a major asshole.

I don’t think the Max transition has really hurt the service, the anger seems to mostly be on niche online circles. and not transcend to reality

Fair enough, all these guys are garbage, I know that, but I don’t know why people are so happy that Iger has returned to Disney. it’s not like he has done much improve Disney. He seems to be making a lot of vague promises he has been making but not following up on them. For example, saying that less Star Wars content is needed right after dating 3 Star Wars movies in a 2 year span. 

On iger's return: imagine how much worse the CNBC interview would have been if Bob Chapek would have done it

1 hour ago, 21C said:

It won't single-handedly fix the problem but it'd go a long, and I mean a long way for a lot of workers if those salaries were instead distributed among them in those productions. 

You know whose salary could be redistributed...

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, 21C said:

It is not a strawman dude. Where the hell do you think their salaries come from? It comes from the budget of these films and TV shows. It's an objective fact that if the 10 million an actor gets paid for a project instead got distributed amongst cast and crew, said cast and crew would have significantly better pays on those productions. 

Except the studio won't distribute that 10 million. It'll just keep it. It's part of the budget to entice the big star to sign into the movie. No big star or big star is cheap, no need to put that as part of the budget.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

For argument’s sake, let’s say it was released and got a Catwoman-esque reception and run. With its budget, it probably loses 20m or so theatrically and ends up grinding into profitability after awhile with ancillary revenue. Not ideal, of course, but hardly some giant disaster. Even stuff that’s widely regarded as campy trash often finds an audience on video. And let’s face it, WB has had no problem giving huge releases to lousy DC movies before. 

• Like 3

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

For argument’s sake, let’s say it was released and got a Catwoman-esque reception and run. With its budget, it probably loses 20m or so theatrically and ends up grinding into profitability after awhile with ancillary revenue. Not ideal, of course, but hardly some giant disaster. Even stuff that’s widely regarded as campy trash often finds an audience on video. And let’s face it, WB has had no problem giving huge releases to lousy DC movies before. 

Or since then either.

• Haha 2

• Community Manager

Look I just saw a shitty movie called Supernova. It's from 2000 and was a massive as hell bomb. c. $14 million box office on a $60-90 million budget. Very troubled production with multiple directors. It only came out cause for some reason Francis Ford Coppola swept in and finished editing it. 10% on rotten tomatoes. Nobody was under any illusion it was any good. 

Did MGM ever make it's budget back? Between whatever it's home video sales were, syndication, and now letting it be on Prime...who knows?

But hey. It's there. on Amazon Prime, not tucked away as a tax deductible.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Look I just saw a shitty movie called Supernova. It's from 2000 and was a massive as hell bomb. c. $14 million box office on a $60-90 million budget. Very troubled production with multiple directors. It only came out cause for some reason Francis Ford Coppola swept in and finished editing it. 10% on rotten tomatoes. Nobody was under any illusion it was any good. 

Did MGM ever make it's budget back? Between whatever it's home video sales were, syndication, and now letting it be on Prime...who knows?

But hey. It's there. on Amazon Prime, not tucked away as a tax deductible.

Yep. Once a movie’s released, it’s a license to print money until the end of time. Not always a lot of money… it might just be a little trickle, but it will never go away and you can always license it out, forever. And any payments you need to make (residuals, whatever) come out of those license fees, so you're not paying anything unless you're making money with it. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

what is the context ? is that per quarter ? , 1k+ a year for doing nothing seems ok for a non hit show?

.  There is a reason why streaming services don’t reveal their viewership, and it’s not because their shows are bombing or people don’t watch it. What you are doing here only serves to reinforce a narrative about shows you don’t like ‘bombing’ while Disney is happily making money out of them and paying their creators shit.

And if you can’t tell this is systemic and far beyond just Disney, I don’t know what to tell you. We can’t really have a decent conversation here without silly flame wars shit? I’m glad that Cody was brave enough to share this, but it’s clearly an widespread issue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Anyone know what the show was? I quit Twitter and can't see anything beyond this single Tweet.

EDIT: From Google - The Disney+ adaptation of The Mysterious Benedict Society won an award at the first-ever Children's & Family Emmy Awards. The show won Outstanding Directing for a Single Camera Program and Outstanding Costume Design/Styling. It also led the pack with 11 nominations.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul