Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I'm curious what the endgame is for the streaming viewership/revenue part of this battle. How will they quantify what drives subscriptions to a streaming service VS what people are watching because they already paid for the service? I also both of these will need to be answered when it comes to determining what a "fair share" of revenue or "fair pay" is for a particular level of viewership.

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

As someone literally packing to go to San Diego next week, this is such a non-issue, even to the folks going. 

Everyone knows it’s going to be a quiet year. When literally NONE of the TV panels listed ANY of the actors as attending, you could read between the lines. 

There is nothing scheduled for Hall H, so the idea of them even calling it a “surprise panel” is a stretch. It’s not like there was the big gap in the schedule, and everyone was playing a guessing game. 

And Lionsgate is a studio. So if they cancelled, it’s on them. They are to blame, not SAG. They could have just brought the footage with a producer to intro it and fill the rest of the time with hellish Q&A. But they did not.

Anyway, for what it’s worth from a Mod/Admin, I think, well it is definitely nice to see passionate posting about this issue, at times today I think we might’ve headed a little bit off track as we all went back-and-forth and around and round on things. So let’s just make sure that we’re keeping this thread really tight, and focused on updates, and not necessarily Monday morning quarterbacking. 

I love the comment I  read about "Gee, Comic Con might actually be all about the actual comics this year"

2 minutes ago, DInky said:

Based on how Astin describes the various execs it sounds like the current crop really don't understand the business of filmmaking.

I wonder if Astin was reminded of Sam's discussions with Gollum.

I guess you could say that studios want streaming numbers hidden to avoid the trades and whatnot making a field day with “huge bomb!” right out of the gate since streaming success likely works way different than box office. But, the main reasons for hiding it probably are the more dubious ones suspected. 

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I love the comment I  read about "Gee, Comic Con might actually be all about the actual comics this year"

Spoiler alert, you figured out my title for the SDCC thread we are posting next Wednesday 😂 “2023: Putting the Comic Back in COMIC Con”

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess you could say that studios want streaming numbers hidden to avoid the trades and whatnot making a field day with “huge bomb!” right out of the gate since streaming success likely works way different than box office. But, the main reasons for hiding it probably are the more dubious ones suspected. 

The CEOs also don't want the shareholders to know when they fail because then they might be held accountable.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly 95% of Netflix shows probably have abysmal streaming numbers. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Honestly 95% of Netflix shows probably have abysmal streaming numbers. 

This possibility is interesting, because it would mean revealing the real numbers wouldn't help most writers or actors to get better residuals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Wait was this show removed, I thought you could watch it on Disney Plus still? Didn't it have like 4 seasons?

Can we stop saying that they're removing shows for a "tax write-off"? You can't do that for something you've released. They're removing them to avoid paying residuals.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Wait was this show removed, I thought you could watch it on Disney Plus still? Didn't it have like 4 seasons?

Damn, I only made it through 3 seasons last winter break - does this mean I can't find the 4th now (I was planning that for summer viewing to just finish it, after finishing some other series out)...

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Damn, I only made it through 3 seasons last winter break - does this mean I can't find the 4th now (I was planning that for summer viewing to just finish it, after finishing some other series out)...

There are only 3 seasons ^^

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

There are only 3 seasons ^^

See, the previous post scared me, saying 4 - I know they changed some of the cast for the 3rd season, and wasn't sure if they did it again and filmed a 4th:)...

It was a good show - and I couldn't believe that one of the leads passed so young.  She passed while I was watching the show, and it was so hard to finish watching that season with her...

Edited by TwoMisfits