Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

It’s fun that the studios are willing to kill the theatrical industry as well as fuck over actors and writers by being unwilling to sacrifice a few millions and accept the loss on streaming (which the shareholders seem more or less aware of). due to personal greed. Fuck all the executives. I wish them a shitty Q3 and Q4.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, JWR said:

Posted this in the Disney thread, but I think it applies here, too. Why would he think this is a good idea to do now?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Trying to keep the stockholders from panicking.

Well that and "we're not screwed, honest!"

As mentioned there is content finished/in the process of being finished, or at least "finished" as the dual strikes are absolutely impacting post-production, that will see the light of day between now and early next year.  It's things down the road which are directly impacted.  So having teasers and trailers for stuff between now and, say, March/April next year does make sense from their point of view even if they end up moving them.

I do agree that "new announcements" is deeply silly given nothing can shoot right now. If I squint I can see announcing of things that were agreed to prior to the strikes.  The update on the Lando series a couple of weeks ago, for instance, is the type of thing which might be announced.

Of course with no resolution to the strikes in the immediate near term any sort of announcement would have to be given even more of a grain of salt than they are normally (or at least should be).

But, when it comes right down to it, getting any sort of positive press in the Trades or in the entertainment ecosystem is probably worth the attempt, even with the justly deserved mocking that will likely come with it from social media commentariat. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well that and "we're not screwed, honest!"

As mentioned there is content finished/in the process of being finished, or at least "finished" as the dual strikes are absolutely impacting post-production, that will see the light of day between now and early next year.  It's things down the road which are directly impacted.  So having teasers and trailers for stuff between now and, say, March/April next year does make sense from their point of view even if they end up moving them.

I do agree that "new announcements" is deeply silly given nothing can shoot right now. If I squint I can see announcing of things that were agreed to prior to the strikes.  The update on the Lando series a couple of weeks ago, for instance, is the type of thing which might be announced.

Of course with no resolution to the strikes in the immediate near term any sort of announcement would have to be given even more of a grain of salt than they are normally (or at least should be).

But, when it comes right down to it, getting any sort of positive press in the Trades or in the entertainment ecosystem is probably worth the attempt, even with the justly deserved mocking that will likely come with it from social media commentariat. 

I can see a few animation projects getting announced as those could theoretically make it on time if the strike ends by the holiday. Something like Zootopia 2 for 2024, TS5 and Frozen 3 for 2025.

Or confirmation of an Avenger or Legacy Marvel in one of the 2024 MCU projects. Not big but enough for eyeballs.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I genuinely do not understand the logic these sociopathic executives are running on. They’re willing to screw over the companies they’re in charge of just so they can hold on to their excessive bonuses? 

It's also a matter of ego. Giving the writers and actors what they want would hurt their image of being tough, serious business people. In their minds, it would make them look weak.

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

For films, they may think that, but there’s gonna be a big-ass hole once they finish releasing what they’ve already finished… and that hole gets bigger and deeper with every passing day. 

The more they drag their feet now, the emptier the next year will be. 

I dunno, this year we've seen a lot of movies suffer because there has been little breathing space and probably a delay here and there isn't going to have a huge impact. 

WB for example shot the majority of their 2024 films in 2022 and the first half of 2023, the only thing they have that was shutdown is Beetlejuice 2 which could make its release date since it's not until next September, Juror Number 2 which being a Clint Eastwood film probably was close to wrapping and Twisters which is only half their film. 

44 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Honestly im surprised they are only negotiating with only the WGA and not both at the same time. I think you can easily break solidarity that way.

Not at this point, I think. Both SAG and the WGA seem pretty strongly in each other’s corners, they’ve been doing lots of joint rallies and such. Maybe at the very beginning, but then again, that would’ve meant the AMPTP were sharp and clever negotiators in a social media world and not a bunch of dick-trippers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reddroast said:

If anything the video game industry is more likely to collapse then the movies

The video game industry is in a much better position than in the 1980s mostly due to the fact the big players are Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft as well as the likes of Activision Blizzard and EA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I dunno, this year we've seen a lot of movies suffer because there has been little breathing space and probably a delay here and there isn't going to have a huge impact. 

WB for example shot the majority of their 2024 films in 2022 and the first half of 2023, the only thing they have that was shutdown is Beetlejuice 2 which could make its release date since it's not until next September, Juror Number 2 which being a Clint Eastwood film probably was close to wrapping and Twisters which is only half their film. 

Some of those will need finessing that requires a writer and actors, some won’t. But their slates aren’t very broad even in the best of times, how are you going to put out a year of solid releases (and market them to the point of getting people to see them) with what they’ve got?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I genuinely do not understand the logic these sociopathic executives are running on. They’re willing to screw over the companies they’re in charge of just so they can hold on to their excessive bonuses? 

I mean, even if they end strike they would still keep excessive bonuses. It's about pride.

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Some of those will need finessing that requires a writer and actors, some won’t. But their slates aren’t very broad even in the best of times, how are you going to put out a year of solid releases (and market them to the point of getting people to see them) with what they’ve got?

Speaking of how do you get your Q3 2024-Q1 2025 stuff ready if it bleeds. Most of the tentpoles thrive on reshoots and I doubt most of the live action stuff in that timeframe is ready to film. Shit I think even stuff like DP3 moves because Marvel can’t risk it being bad

1 hour ago, YM! said:

I can see a few animation projects getting announced as those could theoretically make it on time if the strike ends by the holiday. Something like Zootopia 2 for 2024, TS5 and Frozen 3 for 2025.

Or confirmation of an Avenger or Legacy Marvel in one of the 2024 MCU projects. Not big but enough for eyeballs.

Hmm, voice actors for those movies are part of SAG-AFTRA though

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Speaking of how do you get your Q3 2024-Q1 2025 stuff ready if it bleeds. Most of the tentpoles thrive on reshoots and I doubt most of the live action stuff in that timeframe is ready to film. Shit I think even stuff like DP3 moves because Marvel can’t risk it being bad

I would imagine things will go into hyperdrive once the strikes are over. The idea that they'll be nothing in those quarters is daft because that won't happen like at all. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Hmm, voice actors for those movies are part of SAG-AFTRA though

True but they’ll likely be the most ready things to be announced and a way to get investors of their back.