Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

11 minutes ago, 21C said:

I mean, to be fair, "best and final offer" is only adversarial if it's not an actual good offer.

It's adversarial in that the WGA could be 95 percent of the way there and thinks one or two days more of negotiation will get them over the finish line but the AMPTP says "take it or leave it" in the public press.  Like, not the tone you want to be setting here when a long sought goal is allegedly very close.

(also runs contra to the whole "just working on the details" rumors going round the last few hours)

((then again, "the devil is in the details" is a truism for a reason))

(((also also also the WGA rank and file is very suspicious of the AMPTP — with good reason — and this is the exactly sort of language that is likely to raise hackles when Social Trust is Very Low)))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's adversarial in that the WGA could be 95 percent of the way there and thinks one or two days more of negotiation will get them over the finish line but the AMPTP says "take it or leave it" in the public press.  Like, not the tone you want to be setting here when a long sought goal is allegedly very close.

(also runs contra to the whole "just working on the details" rumors going round the last few hours)

((then again, "the devil is in the details" is a truism for a reason))

(((also also also the WGA rank and file is very suspicious of the AMPTP — with good reason — and this is the exactly sort of language that is likely to raise hackles when Social Trust is Very Low)))

While I don't expect it'd be an actual final, final offer I do think they at the very least mean that if this is not accepted they'll spend another 1 or 2 months doing absolutely nothing and arguing between themselves so I do think that they'll have to decide if that 5% is really worth 1 or 2 months of more writers going broke and more jobs disappearing. 

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

While I don't expect it'd be an actual final, final offer I do think they at the very least mean that if this is not accepted they'll spend another 1 or 2 months doing absolutely nothing and arguing between themselves so I do think that they'll have to decide if that 5% is really worth 1 or 2 months of more writers going broke and more jobs disappearing. 

But that's exactly why it's adversarial! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But that's exactly why it's adversarial! 

I mean yeah you're right on that but I was making a separe point there. My initial point was more about... what if there isn't even that 5%? Like if the deal is actually a great deal on all fronts all things considered then it doesn't become adversarial anymore. We'll see.

I mean, would you prefer "hardball", @21C since that has a slightly less implied value judgement attached to it?

Either way, and I think this the point most of us are making, it's not the sort of language one uses (or at least should use) when negotiations are on the cusp of succeeding and everyone involved is feeling great about everthing.

ETA:::  Consider the para directly above to also address the post you just made. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, 21C said:

I mean, to be fair, "best and final offer" is only adversarial if it's not an actual good offer.

And who’s to say it really is a good offer yet. I maintain the studios can have this go on for months yet without really feeling effects, so who’s to say they’re not banking on desperate measures from WGA to take a crappy deal. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

And who’s to say it really is a good offer yet. I maintain the studios can have this go on for months yet without really feeling effects, so who’s to say they’re not banking on desperate measures from WGA to take a crappy deal. 

I mean we'll see if it's a crappy deal or not soon enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Well, the Wrap seems to say something about David Young involved in WGA negotiations:

https://www.thewrap.com/david-young-wga-negotiations/

The text alleges that Young did not actually step down due to a medical issue, but TheWrap has been unable to verify the reason given and has blacked it out of the text below. The text also says The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters has the story, but Masters said on X she hasn’t “made a single call” about the story.

• Like 1