Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

5 hours ago, joselowe said:

It’s crazy how many pro AMPTP advocates are in here. At the end of the day as a union employee it’s obvious WGA accepted a bad deal to end the fighting while SAG leadership is actually fighting for actors not just the huge stars.  Many of you are only thinking about release dates being shifted and telling them to just accept anything. The sooner SAG/AFTRA gives in without getting what they demand the worst the deal will be for underpaid actors. 

AMPTP have been playing dirty for too long with actors. 

SAG-AFTRA being on strike from the ridiculous and greedy studios - for good reason! - does not make them immune from criticism and mockery for their badly timed headlines that they caused themselves (and thereby giving AMPTP the satisfaction of seeing that solidarity has evaporated within the guild) this past week following a work stoppage that's now over 3 months in (they had time to put together those Halloween rules...when, exactly? Getting the strike resolved after all these months should be the one and only goal of all parties ever since the WGA strike ended). At the same time, asking where their priorities are is not an endorsement of AMPTP and their shadiness. I know the concept of gray areas have largely evaporated thanks to social media, but not everything boils down to the "us vs. them" mentality.

You can say that AMPTP are a bunch of overpaid, clueless fools and that SAG-AFTRA is having issues bringing the union together to get themselves a fair deal if this much obvious infighting is happening (unless you're a member of a cult, nobody likes to be told what to do with their own time outside of work hours) and would probably be right on both counts. Two things can be true at the same time.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Why have Bad News Friday when you can kick off the week with release date shifts on Monday, I guess? Paramount just announced the following updates:

IF: 5/17/24 (moving up a week)

A Quiet Place Day One: 6/28/24 (originally 3/8)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning 2: 5/23/25 (moving back almost a full year)

A currently untitled animated SpongeBob SquarePants movie: 12/19/25 (originally 5/23)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Well we have at least one movie off the Memorial Day 2024 showdown with IF moving. Now it’s just Furiosa, Planet of the Apes, and Garfield.

Furiosa will probably move up (or back, 5/31 has nothing on it for now) a week too if a Cannes premiere is their plan. Planet of the Apes and Garfield can easily co-exist on Memorial Day weekend. Question now is who will claim the first weekend of May since Deadpool is pretty much gone.

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Well we have at least one movie off the Memorial Day 2024 showdown with IF moving. Now it’s just Furiosa, Planet of the Apes, and Garfield.

And none of those are remotely high hit potential films. All would flop hard if reception is middling. Even if it’s good, something like Apes could still struggle since the lays one was so unconventional that it didn’t pull big numbers despite strong reception. 

This is what Q1 of 2024 looks like now as far as major studio movies go:

1/5: Night Swim

1/12: Mean Girls, The Beekeeper, The Book of Clarence

1/19: Distant

2/2: Argylle, Imaginary, Wise Guys

2/9: Lisa Frankenstein, It Ends With Us (obviously not making this date since filming wasn't finished)

2/14: Bob Marley, Madame Web

2/23: Drive-Away Dolls, Ordinary Angels

3/1: Elio, The Fall Guy

3/8: Kung Fu Panda 4

3/15: Dune 2

3/22: Snow White

3/29: Ghostbusters, Mickey 17

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is what Q1 of 2024 looks like now as far as major studio movies go:

1/5: Night Swim

1/12: Mean Girls, The Beekeeper, The Book of Clarence

1/19: Distant

2/2: Argylle, Imaginary, Wise Guys

2/9: Lisa Frankenstein, It Ends With Us (obviously not making this date since filming wasn't finished)

2/14: Bob Marley, Madame Web

2/23: Drive-Away Dolls, Ordinary Angels

3/1: Elio, The Fall Guy

3/8: Kung Fu Panda 4

3/15: Dune 2

3/22: Snow White

3/29: Ghostbusters, Mickey 17

January and February are...quite weak.

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

January and February are...quite weak.

January definitely appears to be on the bleak side with the exception of Mean Girls (has potential to be a breakout at a dead time of year). February also doesn't look that great either, but Argylle and the Bob Marley movie (unlikely to be a Bohemian Rhapsody or Elvis style sensation but will hopefully avoid ending up a total nonevent ala Respect/I Wanna Dance with Somebody) could find audiences if they play their cards right. I would definitely bet we haven't seen the last of movies leaving for a more open spot from a crazy packed March now that A Quiet Place has blinked away.

Edited by filmlover

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Furiosa will probably move up (or back, 5/31 has nothing on it for now) a week too if a Cannes premiere is their plan. Planet of the Apes and Garfield can easily co-exist on Memorial Day weekend. Question now is who will claim the first weekend of May since Deadpool is pretty much gone.

Captain America’s likely taking the May date. Either that or they move Planet Of The Apes up to it. 

Only movies I’m expecting to stay in March are Dune, Elio and maybe Ghostbusters. The former should look at moving up a week since now Imax is void with Quiet Place gone.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

50 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Captain America’s likely taking the May date. Either that or they move Planet Of The Apes up to it. 

Only movies I’m expecting to stay in March are Dune, Elio and maybe Ghostbusters. The former should look at moving up a week since now Imax is void with Quiet Place gone.

I think Ghostbusters is likely moving to the summer too. Bad Boys sequel was able to finish filming but Venom 3 got stopped in the middle of filming due to the strike. Sony is definitely gonna have to move more things around.

Also I think Universal will bite the bullet and push either Kung Fu Panda 4  or Fall Guy. Because Twisters isnt finished filming either. 

WB is looking like a genius for moving Dune to March now, even though I think it would have done well in November anyways without actors promo.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

Ghostbusters was originally supposed to be out this Christmas before the strikes happened so if Sony's fall schedule is going to end up light they might as well just push this one to Holiday 2024, especially if it takes place during winter like the teaser poster indicates.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

January definitely appears to be on the bleak side with the exception of Mean Girls (has potential to be a breakout at a dead time of year). February also doesn't look that great either, but Argylle and the Bob Marley movie (unlikely to be a Bohemian Rhapsody or Elvis style sensation but will hopefully avoid ending up a total nonevent ala Respect/I Wanna Dance with Somebody) could find audiences if they play their cards right. I would definitely bet we haven't seen the last of movies leaving for a more open spot from a crazy packed March now that A Quiet Place has blinked away.

Yep still think Argyle can break out if Vaughn is on his game. Not talking 200 million but certainly Kingsman 1 numbers or more if it is PG-13 which it look like it will be. They will push it hard in Jan during NFL playoff games. 

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters was originally supposed to be out this Christmas before the strikes happened so if Sony's fall schedule is going to end up light they might as well just push this one to Holiday 2024, especially if it takes place during winter like the teaser poster indicates.

Ghostbusters was never going to make 2023 TBH, the move to 2024 was inevitable.

14 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep still think Argyle can break out if Vaughn is on his game. Not talking 200 million but certainly Kingsman 1 numbers or more if it is PG-13 which it look like it will be. They will push it hard in Jan during NFL playoff games. 

Argyle does look like fun, even if  the basic plot is a variation on "Romancing The Stone".

What is interesting is how the strike has been pushed off the front pages over the past couple of weeks.

I'd move Furiosa back one week and Captain America up to open May, and Mufasa to the July 26th date. Move Venom 3 to open November which has a Marvel/Sony project hold anyway. Move Deadpool to the Thunderbolts date. Move Mickey 17 to fall. Move at least one other big movie to June or July - maybe Snow White or something?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'd move Furiosa back one week and Captain America up to open May, and Mufasa to the July 26th date. Move Venom 3 to open November which has a Marvel/Sony project hold anyway. Move Deadpool to the Thunderbolts date. Move Mickey 17 to fall. Move at least one other big movie to June or July - maybe Snow White or something?

Think Kung Fu Panda 4 for July and Despicable Me 4 for the holidays.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This next few weeks and month or so is going to be fun for anybody that loves release date change news. The Mission Impossible delay irks the hell out of me but at least it will get the IMAX lockdown this time.