The Wild Eric

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

I think it's also worth noting that even if a tentative deal is worked out tonight that we can't say that it is in the bag - remember, the DGA deal is going to be a cautionary tale about the dangers of ratifying too soon. Lots has to happen between a joint press statement of a tentative deal and the actual signing of a full deal with terms that ends the strike. And that's just the WGA.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think it's also worth noting that even if a tentative deal is worked out tonight that we can't say that it is in the bag - remember, the DGA deal is going to be a cautionary tale about the dangers of ratifying too soon. Lots has to happen between a joint press statement of a tentative deal and the actual signing of a full deal with terms that ends the strike. And that's just the WGA.

Or indeed the IATSE fiasco where it almost blew up (and perhaps should have, though it's not really not my place to say I know very well how unhappy a lot of rank-and-file were with the deal)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I gotta say I've yet to see /that/ many DGA members unhappy with the deal they got on their own merits. It's mostly WGA-DGA members that were unhappy with it because they wanted the DGA to strike in solidarity. But even Nolan, who supported the WGA strike from day one and supports the SAG AFTRA strike, says he thinks the DGA deal was a good one.

Edited by 21C

26 minutes ago, 21C said:

I still do not know why you think the idea that a dude that has gone to Cinemacon every year, sees movies even before the press watches them, and is extremely likely either a theater owner or someone somewhere in management (made pretty obvious by how he doesn't sympathize with working class at all) might have some contacts within the studio system. There is quite literally nothing insane about someone like him being able to have pals over there. 

Because these are closed negotiations! Do you think Bob Iger sends out memos daily to everyone in his studio empire? 

What gets leaked to the press is all *anyone* knows unless they’re literally within the absolute inner circle of Iger, Serandos, etc or on the WGA negotiating committee. And even with that, ultimately it comes down to whether the WGA agrees, and even beyond that, whether their membership ratifies. 

I know various showrunners within the WGA… that doesn’t mean I have some secret source to insider info anymore than he does. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Because these are closed negotiations! Do you think Bob Iger sends out memos daily to everyone in his studio empire? 

What gets leaked to the press is all *anyone* knows unless they’re literally within the absolute inner circle of Iger, Serandos, etc or on the WGA negotiating committee. And even with that, ultimately it comes down to whether the WGA agrees, and even beyond that, whether their membership ratifies. 

I know various showrunners within the WGA… that doesn’t mean I have some secret source to insider info anymore than he does. 

Oh come on lmao. You and I have both seen how over the last couple months there's been leaks all over the place, mostly coming from the studio side, around negotiations. The idea that some exec schmuck would gossip about them to his pals and then his pals proceed to gossip them to other people does not seem far fetched with me at all, in fact it seems perfectly in character for them and the way they've been handling things. 

Edited by 21C

4 minutes ago, 21C said:

I gotta say I've yet to see /that/ many DGA members unhappy with the deal they got on their own merits. It's mostly WGA-DGA members that were unhappy with it because they wanted the DGA to strike in solidarity. But even Nolan, who supported the WGA strike from day one and supports the SAG AFTRA strike, says he thinks the DGA deal was a good one.

I think the DGA deal is probably fine for them. But there basically wasn’t any rush to make it, and they lost some leverage in quickly ratifying… all to do nothing for the next 3+ months. It’s kind of a waste even though it didn’t hurt them much — they could’ve gained more. But they didn’t think SAG would strike and they didn’t realize how obstinate the AMPTP would be about not even talking to the WGA for 100 days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

Oh come on lmao. You and I have both seen how over the last couple months there's been leaks all over the place, mostly coming from the studio side, around negotiations. The idea that some exec schmuck would gossip about them to his pals and then his pals proceed to gossip them to other people does not seem far fetched with me at all, in fact it seems perfectly in character for them and the way they've been handling things. 

How would the exec schmuck know? These “leaks” have all been designed to fracture the WGA membership just like what happened in all the other strikes. It’s not literally the AMPTP crew babbling at large to all their friends and buddies. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

How would the exec schmuck know? These “leaks” have all been designed to fracture the WGA membership just like what happened in all the other strikes. It’s not literally the AMPTP crew babbling at large to all their friends and buddies. 

There are often dozens of corporate lawyers, staffers and all types of people in these types of negotiations, it's ridiculously easy for something to leak out especially within studio people who have been leaking stuff all over the place for the last few months.  It isn't literally just the CEO's, Carol and the WGA leaders sitting in a dark room. And even from them it can literally be as simple as someone like idk, Zaslav texting his CFO, and then his CFO texting the heads of the divisions, and then the heads of the divisions gossiping, etc. 

Edited by 21C

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

Okay, I give up. Clearly EC has an incredible group of friends connected with corporate lawyers, execs, junior paralegals, and PF Chang’s delivery people. 

Believe what you wish. 

It's not really far fetched to me at all to think he'd be friends with a couple of assholes that he could've met at a party in Las Vegas at one of the thousand Cinemacon's he's probably attended, yes. I genuinely don't think that getting to be friends with some of these people is as big as deal as it seems or that special when  running in the circles EC seems to run into. 

Admitting that Nobody Knows Anything, this does seem good:

While no deal is at hand at present, the parties have had significant and detailed talks this week, we hear. They are drilling down into the fine print in the hopes of reaching a new three-year contract within hours or days.

However, with the situation fluid and chatter around town of a deal, it is unclear at the moment if the scribes and studios will be meeting again. A new get-together could come tomorrow or on Tuesday, after the Yom Kippur holiday — we will update with more information as we get it. As it stands, a new meeting has not been set as the parties go over details and data coming out of the recent negotiations.

Meeting at the AMPTP’s Sherman Oaks offices, the nitty-gritty discussions Thursday centered primarily on the proposals put forth by the studios Wednesday and the guild’s response. With the issue of writer rooms staffing mandates among the sticking points, the CEO Gang of Four sat across the table from the union’s negotiating committee led by Ellen Stutzman, David Goodman and Chris Keyser.

Additionally, to move matters along in what generally were cordial exchanges, there were sidebars between the individual CEOs and WGA brass throughout Thursday, as was the case on September 20.

“These are complex negotiations,” a source close to this latest round of talks said of a potential deal. “You want to move with determination, make sure everything’s buttoned up. That takes time.”

Citing how hard both sides are “working” on breaking the impasse that has gripped Hollywood labor relations since the WGA went out on strike on May 2 and the first round of new talks last month went nowhere, another well-positioned source said that where the players are right now “does sound like progress.”

Whenever a deal is reached, writers’ reps are expecting roughly another two weeks before the agreement would be ratified by the guild. As AMPTP then would move to nail down a new contract with SAG-AFTRA thereafter, questions remain on how quickly television writers rooms could return, and how soon producers could submit specs.

Does seem similar to Late Jan/Early Feb in the '07/'08 WGA strike.

Put me down as "cautiously optimistic"

(as in "could be done within a week or two if things don't blow up thanks to folks acting badly")

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1