Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

From the trades so taking it with a grain of salt, but if they're really discussing what work can be done until ratification then the major points would be pretty much resolved. It would be unconventional for a strike to end pre-ratification, though.

Not really. The previous writers strike ended before the ratification.

The most likely situation is that writers will return to work within a few days of reaching a deal.

The ratifaction is to know if the members approve the new deal. In the (unlikely) event that the vote comes, they could return to the strike. 

1 minute ago, Kon said:

The most likely situation is that writers will return to work within a few days of reaching a deal.

The ratifaction is to know if the members approve the new deal. In the (unlikely) event that the vote comes, they could return to the strike. 

Interesting, I didn't realize that about the last strike. I'm more used to public sector unions.

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Interesting, I didn't realize that about the last strike. I'm more used to public sector unions.

Sort of:

Negotiators for the striking writers reached a tentative agreement on February 8, 2008, and the boards of both guilds unanimously approved the deal on February 10, 2008.[6] Striking writers voted on February 12, 2008, on whether to lift the restraining order, with 92.5% voting to end the strike.[7] On February 26, the WGA announced that the contract had been ratified with a 93.6% approval among WGA members.[8] The Writers Guild later requested a court order seeking that the agreement be honored and implemented.

WGA '07/'08 Timeline

Feb 8: Tentative Agreement

Feb 10: Board Vote

Feb 12: Membership Vote to lift strike

Feb 26: Ratification of new deal.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

I bet we get the announcement Tuesday, FWIW. Not a hugely tangible difference except it does delay start of SAG likely till next Monday.

The fact that they decided to meet and seem to have gotten over bad feelings from yesterday is a bigger deal when I thought it might blow up.

• Like 1