Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

People are naive if they think Hollywood is going to collapse because of potential strikes. This isn't even the first SAG strike, it'll get resolved whether it's today, next week or next month. 

I don't think anyone actually thinks it will happen... it's just that with the way the companies act, we wish it would.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Very curious to see what would happen to rest of the year (August-December) and next year movies after the strikes.

This year? Hardly something catastrophic.

July and August movies are already in full marketing campaigns.

Many of the movies for September - October are genre movies which normally does well anyways (horror for example where the hook is the genre and doesn’t necessarily need the actors going on TV or posting things) 

There’s many movies for award season that honestly wouldn’t do well anyway, delay them would probably just bring more losses 

We can see the actually huge movies from later this year moving if the strike lasts that long, but i’m not sure if it’ll be that many like in the pandemic, likely it’ll be the ones that would actually benefit a lot from global tours and actors presence like a Marvel movie or something like Hunger Games. But they’re too far tbh, hard to make any conclusion about 4 months from here based on tweets and PR articles.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

People are naive if they think Hollywood is going to collapse because of potential strikes. This isn't even the first SAG strike, it'll get resolved whether it's today, next week or next month. 

Is easy to get scared when there’s so many news (sometimes contradicting themselves) dropping every hour. 

The article about studios planning to people losing their homes for example is perfect to create fear and the feeling on “oh the world is falling”, it’s happening on twitter even if we know that’s probably just a evil tactic trying to make unions scared because they’re the ones scared. 

I hope the strike did happen and they didn’t find a solution in the final 2 hours, they’re clearly desperate, striking will push Hollywood to the edge, i’m sure it’ll be good for unions in long term.

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This year? Hardly something catastrophic.

July and August movies are already in full marketing campaigns.

Many of the movies for September - October are genre movies which normally does well anyways (horror for example where the hook is the genre and doesn’t necessarily need the actors going on TV or posting things) 

There’s many movies for award season that honestly wouldn’t do well anyway, delay them would probably just bring more losses 

We can see the actually huge movies from later this year moving if the strike lasts that long, but i’m not sure if it’ll be that many like in the pandemic, likely it’ll be the ones that would actually benefit a lot from global tours and actors presence like a Marvel movie or something like Hunger Games. But they’re too far tbh, hard to make any conclusion about 4 months from here based on tweets and PR articles.

I think we'll see a few films shift but not to the same extent as when cinemas were closed a few years back. Anyone who thinks December will have no films is clearly delusional. 

2024 TBH probably need a few things to shift around because certain months are too packed. March would benefit from titles moving forward or back as well as May. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Every movie that was promoted at CinemaCon for this year will be staying put. It's next year that will see the shuffling around.

I could see films that were planned for streaming move to theatrical release like Mean Girls The Musical which Paramount is missing a trick not releasing it for April next year in time for the 20th anniversary. 

A SAG strike will cause disruption but anyone thinking it'll last forever is being stupid.

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I could see films that were planned for streaming move to theatrical release like Mean Girls The Musical which Paramount is missing a trick not releasing it for April next year in time for the 20th anniversary. 

A SAG strike will cause disruption but anyone thinking it'll last forever is being stupid.

If all this chaos had happened earlier I imagine we would've seen this November clear up a bit because right now it's a logjam, with at least five movies (Dune, The Marvels, Hunger Games, Wish, Napoleon) locked for IMAX/PLF screens and unlikely to move now that their marketing campaigns are in full swing. Oh well.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If all this chaos had happened earlier I imagine we would've seen this November clear up a bit because right now it's a logjam, with at least five movies (Dune, The Marvels, Hunger Games, Wish, Napoleon) locked for IMAX/PLF screens and unlikely to move now that their marketing campaigns are in full swing. Oh well.

I just don't get why some of the titles are not going to October, I suspect it's due to post production crunch times. Trolls in mid to late October for example would benefit from the barren family market.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Exactly. Besides keeping their budget down, Studios also have very little to no idea about how to maximize release date spot to earn greater revenue. 5 big movies in November!!!!! What's so special about November?!!!! It's not like summer or Christmas where holidays are in full swings and it also has only one holiday weekend (Thanksgiving). 

I guess they all gunning for that late legs in December. But why not just move it there considering how barren this December with only Wonka and AQ2. Not super big movies which may combined $600M at best... They're leaving money on the table. Missed opportunity by Marvels who shuffled its date last but pick the November spot instead of December.

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I just don't get why some of the titles are not going to October, I suspect it's due to post production crunch times. Trolls in mid to late October for example would benefit from the barren family market.

I could see Dune moving up a week to the last weekend of October (or pull a Mission: Impossible and move up 2 days to Wednesday) to get more time in IMAX/PLF screens before Marvels takes them all (and having no shot at getting them back until early December when nothing is set to come out the first two weekends of the month). But that all depends on if it'll be ready and of course if SAG will still be on strike (if they ultimately do and this isn't miraculously resolved soon).

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Trolls is in late October OS so that is a choice, not a production issue.