Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Anyway, great that they decided to strike 

They’ll win, you can have the capital and own the entire system but you can’t profit without the proletariat 

And like i said, in the accelerated world we’re living and with a scale of production bigger than ever, i think the impact on the rich pockets will be gigantic out of the gate, they‘ll get desperate very soon

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

No doubt certain people will be proclaiming that this will be going on until sometime next year which seems unlikely. 

As hyperbolic as some people are on here, the 2024 film slate likely will be tweaked rather than pulled entirely. There's a lot of films which are already in the can and frankly given the crowded nature of some months next year, a few films probably would benefit from being moved. 

I agree with the bold. I feel like Deadpool 3 and Captain America: Brave New World are unlikely moving. The one film I could definitely see it being affected by this is Thunderbolts, but these two I’d argue that are mostly fine. Since DGA are a bunch of a-holes, there is no stopping directors to keep working on the films. The whole 2025 onwards line up could suffer some major delays tho. When Superman: Legacy was supposed to start filming again? Next year?

Can actors work out and prep for a major blockbuster during a strike or is that also considered work? Genuine question, because if so, damn. That could have some insane ripple effects with a lot of schedules.

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Excited to see something like Thunderbolts costing 400M and looking like shit

That hasn’t even started filming yet so I doubt it. It’s the films that are currently in production that are going to be affected as far as budgets. some big ones: Deadpool 3, Gladiator 2, MI8, Beetlejuice 2, Twisters, Wicked 

then of course 2025 could be even worse. 

Edited by babz06

Can't shake the feeling off we'll hear about a ridiculous amount of tax write-offs after the strikes are over. It really is kind of  a shame the unions can't do anything about that as it's the most effective way for them to avoid paying residuals. 

Edited by 21C
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Probably not that long, but it feels like there's some solidarity between the WGA and SAG, which probably extends this strike beyond the time the old joint one ran for in the 60s. Don't see much being wrapped up before October at the earliest. 

If anything this will probably speed up the process, 

Just now, Jonwo said:

If anything this will probably speed up the process, 

Will it? In 1960 they left the WGA for last as well.  They aren't moving to re-negotiate with the WGA until they're done with SAG and the longer SAG strike lasts the longer it'll take for them to go back to negotiating with the WGA.

Edited by 21C

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

That hasn’t even started filming yet so I doubt it. It’s the films that are currently in production that are going to be affected some big ones: Deadpool 3, Gladiator 2, MI8, Beetlejuice 2, Twisters, Wicked 

Wicked has been filming for a while so I imagine a hiatus for the summer was due soon anyway, 

Juror Number 2 started filming in June but knowing how efficient Clint Eastwood is, it's either wrapped or fairly close to wrapping. 

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

Will it? In 1960 they left the WGA for last as well.  They aren't moving to re-negotiate with the WGA until they're done with SAG and the longer SAG strike lasts the longer it'll take for them to go back to negotiating with the WGA.

It will, time is money.

2 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

These are the 2 movies that I'm the most confident WILL be pushed back because of the strike 

I think that the fact that DGA isn’t striking and that BNW is in the can while Deadpool 3 almost there will prevent that. People don’t remember, but the last two Deadpool films were produced insanely fast. Both of them. And I mean less than one year fast. And while DP1 didn’t face any turmoil, the filming of DP2 was quite tragic and had to be stopped for quite some time too. Domino’s stuntwoman died during the filming of a stunt.

The mutual strike in the 60s took 6 weeks for the SAG one to be done and then the WGA one (which had already been going on for almost 2 months by that point) took another 2 months to resolve. This whole thing isn't going to be quick and easy and the 60s SAG strike is agreed as having been ended early because of Reagan being the SAG leader at the time. I know a lot of people dislike Fran Drescher being in charge too but I could easily see this going on for months. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

So which one is the most fucked with this strike?

A. Finished movies that set to be released (Other than Barbenheimer)

B. Movies that still on drafts and pre-production

C. Movies in production/filming

D. Movies in post production

Also how about animated movies? Does Voice actor actually counts as actor so production also stops? Or it's different and the strike has no effects for animations?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think that the fact that DGA isn’t striking and that BNW is in the can while Deadpool 3 almost there will prevent that. People don’t remember, but the last two Deadpool films were produced insanely fast. Both of them. And I mean less than one year fast. And while DP1 didn’t face any turmoil, the filming of DP2 was quite tragic and had to be stopped for quite some time too. Domino’s stuntwoman died during the filming of a stunt.

Anything that's in the can in terms of filming is unaffected. There's a lot of 2024 films that were filmed in 2022 and the first half of 2023. 

I do want to stress that this isn't like the pandemic where there was uncertainty over whether things will reopen or could restart which is why you saw masses of films move around a lot. You will see some films being moved but not on the same scale. 

Just now, Claudio said:

Also how about animated movies? Does Voice actor actually counts as actor so production also stops? Or it's different and the strike has no effects for animations?

All alternatives. 

• Like 1

Just now, Claudio said:

B & C are the ones most impacted. Also while VAs are counted under SAG-AFTRA, this strike is specifically for Movies, TV, and Streaming (Which I imagine just means live-action) so animation can continue though I'm sure that'll be a murky area to some degree, same with commercials.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Anything that's in the can in terms of filming is unaffected. There's a lot of 2024 films that were filmed in 2022 and the first half of 2023. 

I do want to stress that this isn't like the pandemic where there was uncertainty over whether things will reopen or could restart which is why you saw masses of films move around a lot. You will see some films being moved but not on the same scale. 

I genuinely don’t think that either Deadpool 3 or BNW are even moving. We do might lose Thunderbolts and it could delay a lot of shit if working out preparing for a job of becoming let’s say Superman is seen as work. Not sure what’s the rule there.

Also I’d argue that MI8 will become INSANELY and SACRILEGIOUSLY ballooned, since that’s filming and it’d have to stop.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I genuinely don’t think that either Deadpool 3 or BNW are even moving. We do might lose Thunderbolts and it could delay a lot of shit if working out preparing for a job of becoming let’s say Superman is seen as work. Not sure what’s the rule there.

Also I’d argue that MI8 will become INSANELY and SACRILEGIOUSLY ballooned, since that’s filming and it’d have to stop.

Superman wasn't due to film until next year but also working out for a role that's not shooting for months isn't likely to get you blacklisted. Auditions likely have to be paused unless it's for theatre. 

SAG being on strike is going to speed the process for a resolution to be found for both WGA and SAG because the companies are going to start paniking soon. 

I think 2023-2024 is exaggerated by people on here, we're probably looking at the same time table we always have been. End of summer to the beginning of fall.

10 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Voice actors do indeed count. So animated films will be affected, as will video games, I'd imagine.

Basically, anything that requires the input of either a writer or actor at any stage of development will not be able to continue. 

• Like 2