Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I need immediate gifs of Fran yelling "IT. IS. DIS. GUST. ING! SHAME ON THEM!"

I'm sorry but it's always going to be funny to me that The Nanny was actually voted as president of a major industry union.

Not really. Few really big stars are chosen to head the union. You ae not voted in because of your acting kills, but for your managment skills and you ability to be a spokesman...which is something different then acting. It is surprising how many really good actors are not that good at public speaking. Two different skill sets.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

There's a time to Address Grievances and then there's a time to Close Ranks.

Smart unions figure out which are which. 👍

(Smart union leaders figure out how to make the latter easier to happen)

((Smarter union leaders try to minimize the conditions for grievances arising in the first place))

I now genuinely have a lot of questions about the DGA deal. It's clear that the AMPTP does not want to give away literally any money, so how badly did lower tier directors get screwed.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I now genuinely have a lot of questions about the DGA deal. It's clear that the AMPTP does not want to give away literally any money, so how badly did lower tier directors get screwed.

Hard to tell. Considering how DGA leaders were pressuring SAG to take a deal, I'd say the DGA was just more interested in getting to work. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

Scan background performers once and hold rights to their image forever without consent??? 

Yeah. The studios wanting to hold rights to the actors image so they can use it without compensation or consent shows how far studios greed goes.

Honestly, I'm even surprised this is legal for the studios

Edited by Kon

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Admittedly I'm not up to speed on every aspect of the DGA, but I don't think it was particularly bad for them, with the wild card of how "generative AI" is interpreted and how it could be applied to directors, ADs, etc. At the end of the day, the new contract did get ratified by a fairly substantial margin, so DGA members were generally okay with it. (Most of the details were along more specific little details, like an extra day to give notes on TV episodes, an extra paid hour for ADs on shoot days to deal with prep paperwork and such). 

No doubt it would've been hugely beneficial to the industry at large had the DGA chosen to wait for their fellow unions to get a new deal, but.... it's the DGA. I don't think their members are actively hurt by the new contract though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The DGA can enjoy the de facto strike that they're now on because without actors...well.

They really did that almost two week extension just so the Barbie and Oppenheimer press tours could wrap up could they lmao. Good grief.

Nolan will direct the next season of Vanderpump Rules just to feel something again. First season broadcast in IMAX.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Admittedly I'm not up to speed on every aspect of the DGA, but I don't think it was particularly bad for them, with the wild card of how "generative AI" is interpreted and how it could be applied to directors, ADs, etc. At the end of the day, the new contract did get ratified by a fairly substantial margin, so DGA members were generally okay with it. (Most of the details were along more specific little details, like an extra day to give notes on TV episodes, an extra paid hour for ADs on shoot days to deal with prep paperwork and such). 

No doubt it would've been hugely beneficial to the industry at large had the DGA chosen to wait for their fellow unions to get a new deal, but.... it's the DGA. I don't think their members are actively hurt by the new contract though.

Yeah, like I think they could have gotten a BETTER deal if they had waited. But I can't fault them for taking the deal either. 

Also good on Fran/that guy pushing back on Fran's work Italy trip being used against her.

• Like 1

AMPTP are quite literally idiotic if they’re not seeing what is happening at the box office right now as a MAJOR sign of how much they need their creatives. These countless IP franchise films getting churned out are bombing in spectacular ways this year that we simply usually just don’t see. The only ones that are doing well are the ones getting great audience reception, almost as if audiences care about the quality of the script now more than ever in this economy or something… 

Edited by MovieMan89

“Fall festivals are fucked.”

That was one studio executive’s blunt assessment about the impact of an actors’ strike on the rapidly approaching Telluride, Toronto and New York film festivals. Showcasing Oscar contenders at these annual events is going to be much more difficult now that SAG-AFTRA has joined the WGA on the picket lines.

“You can’t premiere movies anywhere without your stars,” the executive said. “No stars, no movie.”

I mean, let's not pretend there isn't an easy solution to all this if the studios got their act together...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

This forum is going back to the covid dark ages when there are no movies coming out in 2024 because of this double strike

I fully support the strikes btw, don’t know the gritty details but this AÍ business is fucking ridiculous

Eh, there's still plenty that's already been filmed and in post-production. Imagine the movies will just be spaced out more (probably not a bad idea after the complaints of how overcrowded this summer was).

Though we don't even know how long this will last. Given that the industry is now basically in complete shutdown mode, we'll see how quickly these clowns change their tune once they see their bank accounts going down.