kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

I am amused that while the video game was not allowed to be referenced for disappointing presale to final Friday numbers, 2 mid-playoff basketball games could be blamed instead:).

Of course, if that's the case, Sunday will be ugly on the East Coast...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I am amused that while the video game was not allowed to be referenced for disappointing presale to final Friday numbers, 2 mid-playoff basketball games could be blamed instead:).

Of course, if that's the case, Sunday will be ugly on the East Coast...

Because we've seen on numerous occasions that video games don't affect box office. Sport is only live once, a video game is ever present. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Given the early tracking, just a little disappointed but likely will see a very, very healthy increase today to offset it a bit. After the last 4 Marvel Studios first to second weekend drops have been 67% (DS2), 68% (TLT), 65% (BPWF) and 70% (AM3), can't be anything but happy about at 50% to 55% first to second weekend drop DOM. It's a significant improvement of that these have been doing. And, maybe even with Fast X opening and taking PLF screens, it can keep it at a 50% or less drop next weekend. 

It's audience scores remain extremely high for an MCU anyhting. Not that it's everything or anything at all but it has a very real shot at being highest rated MCU film on Letterboxd (currently 4.19 with 277K+ user ratings). Audience score at RT is 95% (4.7/5.0) with 5K+ verified too. With that, I expect legs to be solid even with Fast X and Little Meraid coming. GotGV3 should (considering OW DOM) have a very healthy total by the end of the Memorial Day weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Of course, if that's the case, Sunday will be ugly on the East Coast... You guys talked about video game for half of the weekday thread without any complains. 

I don’t get the condescending tone, FRI jump is totally in the range we was expecting, just on the mid to lower end of it, but there’s nothing really unusual about it to need an excuse. 

And people are allowed to talk about anything, as they did for hours on THU, but this is a box office forum and most people doesn’t care about specifics of video games, not keep talking about it in many different threads is not a question of not being allowed, is just being respectful.

• Like 12

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Best Second Weekend Hold For MCU Post Pandemic; ‘Book Club: The Next Chapter’ Hopes On Mother’s Day – Saturday Box Office

https://deadline.com/2023/05/box-office-book-club-the-next-chapter-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-1235364748/

The weekend box office continues to be a place of haves and have-nots with Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 posting the best second weekend holds for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title post-pandemic at a great -51% with $58M; better than the -55% second weekend holds of the two previous GOTG movies. After a lower than usual MCU summer start last weekend of $118.4M, that A CinemaScore is showing its value for the final James Gunn directed title in the franchise. The last time we saw a second weekend hold this strong during the pandemic for an MCU title was Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings with a -54% hold. Since then most MCU titles have been in the deep -60% percentile including last summer’s kickoff Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (-67%) and even the pandemic high Spider-Man: No Way Home (-68%).

However, many aren’t betting on a big boost on Mother’s Day for Focus Features older female skewing Book Club: The Next Chapter which is currently seeing around $7M.

Paramount dodged a bullet by passing on Book Club 2 it seems. Its audience simply doesn't go to the movies anymore. If only someone told Focus that.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

12 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

122% jump, that’s nice, definitely better than expected last night. 

58M is probably the lowest it can get with this FRI. 

60M and sub 50% drop still very much possible. Even likely i would say, i was expecting 58-59 because i suspect FRI would ended up being 15.2M or so.

Anyway, absolutely amazing run so far, OS numbers are even better. +530M WW by SUN looking good and +800M is locked at this point.

• Like 7