kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

44 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Or you don't understand the gaming industry the way you think you do. A game on a single platform will not make $800m in one day. A Nintendo game will not make $800m in a single day. Scarlet and Violet, the biggest Nintendo launch yet, took 3 days to make $600m. That's slower than the biggest Call of Duty. 

Gross is irrelevant to me when we typically get sales numbers. That’s far more indicative of how much of an event a game was. And S/V managed to sell 10 million in its first 3 days vs GTA 14 million in first 3 days DESPITE terrible reviews and having only about half of the install base GTa launched to. Maybe it’s you who doesn’t fully understand things here? 

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Isn't that one a loss leader mainly for the sake of building positive relationships with prolific talent on Amazon's end? I'm not fully sure though, so don't quote me on that.

Yes. My understanding is that initially for a long while the intention was for it to go straight to streaming on Amazon Prime with limited if any theatrical release and pretty much the same marketing campaign too. If anything, I'm sure Amazon isn't too disappointed with the 50M to 55M it's going to finish up with DOM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Gross is irrelevant to me when we typically get sales numbers. That’s far more indicative of how much of an event a game was. And S/V managed to sell 10 million in its first 3 days vs GTA 14 million in first 3 days DESPITE terrible reviews and having only about half of the install base GTa launched to. Maybe it’s you who doesn’t fully understand things here? 

It's almost like GTA as a franchise has completely and utterly blown up with 5 which outsold all other games combined and by a mile

can we just drop this convo, it's ridicolous and not even relevant to the thread. just reminding me that console wars are 10 times dumber than BO arguments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, JustLurking said:

It's almost like GTA as a franchise has completely and utterly blown up with 5 which outsold all other games combined and by a mile

can we just drop this convo, it's ridicolous and not even relevant to the thread. just reminding me that console wars are 10 times dumber than BO arguments.

No because some people are now trying to put words in my mouth to deflect the point. I never said anything about Zelda being bigger than GTA lifetime sales (for one thing GTA got out on about 6 platforms and Zelda will only ever have one). Nor did I bring up gross or profit. It was always about how this game is going to either come close to or beat GTA Vs opening weekend sales record, and what kind of impact could that have? None for GTA bc is launched in the box office wasteland of mid September. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

No one ever said anything about lifetime sales. We’re talking about the event it is this weekend. Zelda will surely be more frontloaded than GTA (which by the way that supposed sales figure has always been extremely dubious since if you add the reported numbers for each version of the game they don’t come anywhere near that). 

bro, give it up,

you’re arguments make no sense and people are tired of hearing about this non-existent Zelda effect. You were wrong, take the L

• Like 4

I will certainly be mentioning it again when the sales numbers are released and if it gets anywhere near 12m or so for the weekend then everyone dog piling me sure as hell better eat some crow. And I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong and it’s nowhere near that big. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

will certainly be mentioning it again when the sales numbers are released

Mention it in the game thread that was created for it. If I see you bringing it up again in this thread I'm gonna thread ban you from it because you've been asked, then told, repeatedly to stop. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I will certainly be mentioning it again when the sales numbers are released and if it gets anywhere near 12m or so for the weekend then everyone dog piling me sure as hell better eat some crow. And I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong and it’s nowhere near that big. 

Well mention it in the correct thread then because we don’t fucking care 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yes. My understanding is that initially for a long while the intention was for it to go straight to streaming on Amazon Prime with limited if any theatrical release and pretty much the same marketing campaign too. If anything, I'm sure Amazon isn't too disappointed with the 50M to 55M it's going to finish up with DOM.

Oh, they're definitely impressed with how much it did make in the end. 99% of adult dramas and similar fare have been lucky to get half, even a quarter of that these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben Affleck return to them with another pitch in the near future.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XXR Metro Boomin said:

I like this idea. Next person to mention a video game gets thrown in the dungeon. 

Have to say I am really impressed with the latest Super Mario Bros

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, XXR Metro Boomin said:

Mention it in the game thread that was created for it. If I see you bringing it up again in this thread I'm gonna thread ban you from it because you've been asked, then told, repeatedly to stop. 

I was never told anything. We were all asked to stop talking about it until we had more concrete numbers to discuss. Then a ton of other posters kept quoting me and bringing it up on their own. Go back and look if you don’t believe me. 

• Knock It Off 1

If Vol. 3 follows Vol. 2 holds for the rest of its run, it gets to Vol. 1's unadjusted domestic total.

The next few weekend holds if it kept pace with Vol. 2 would be: -47% against Fast X, -40% against Little Mermaid (w/inflated Sunday), -53% against Spiderverse. Those all seem reasonable to me...

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How's that SMBM movie challenging Avatar 2 DOM or Top Gun 2 DOM going? Or, heck, even passing Incredibles 2 DOM? You seem super passionate video games which is cool. Passions are great and many video games are awesome but it might be clouding your judgement just a little as in when the SMBM DOM TOTAL discussions were ongoing (before it became clearer where it will finish) and now with GotGV3's second weekend hold (even if slightly depressed from expectation is EASILY the best hold for a MCU movie in a long, long while).

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1