Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Just now, Eric Prime said:

How about nobody buys anything out for once and we don't see any mergers? That would be cool.

Megacorps are coming we like it or not, my friend. We might as well just embrace it. There is absolutely no way that both Disney and WBD aren’t bought. I suspect WBD goes first, Disney 10 to 15 years from now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Megacorps are coming we like it or not, my friend. We might as well just embrace it. There is absolutely no way that both Disney and WBD aren’t bought. I suspect WBD goes first, Disney 10 to 15 years from now.

Disney isn't going anywhere as things stand 

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Disney is a megacorp. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

How about nobody buys anything out for once and we don't see any mergers? That would be cool.

I agree with you. It would be bad for consumers and it would be bad for the employees of these companies. I'm just not sure I'm enough of an optimist to believe that the government will stop another round of mega-mergers/acquisitions in this space.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve said, it’s a matter of when, not if:

https://fortune.com/2023/04/17/disney-ceo-bob-iger-apple-takeover-steve-jobs/

This will literally never ever happen. Apple's biggest acquisition was Beats for 3 billion. Disney is currently worth 165 billion. Just because Steve Jobs was important to Pixar (and by extension Disney) doesn't mean that this is anywhere in the realm of possibilities

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

None of the movies released by WB under Zaslav were made by him. So he can say that these weren’t his fault but the old leadership (though his hyping of certain films didn’t help).

isn’t Barbie gonna be the first movie released that he green lit? 

Yeah. I mean, it's cool to blame Zaslav, but he is hardly responsible for these failures. These movies were made before he assumed leadership.

I really doubt Zaslav hyping the films has a negative impact in the box office.

Why did they delayed Aquaman 2 so much? at this point they should just release it and be done with it. 

Push the breaks and let Matt do 5 shows in his Batverse. To pick up the brand and reset the DCEU mess.

On somewhat related news:

https://variety.com/vip/netflix-password-sharing-crackdown-working-now-what-1235647082/

The results of an exclusive two-part survey conducted by CRG Global for Variety Intelligence Platform indicate the vast majority of U.S. Netflix users polled still find the service valuable, and many who didn't previously pay for their own account are willing to do so.

I mean, look at this graphic:

CevQUM9.png

According to data from analytics firm Antenna, Netflix had its four single biggest days of U.S. user sign-ups since January 2019 (when Antenna first began tracking the metric) after starting to cut off freeloaders' access.

Welp, although they won’t be having my money regularly any longer, it’s not like they won’t be having all the money. Hard to argue against the crackdown when it’s clearly working for them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dephira said:

This will literally never ever happen. Apple's biggest acquisition was Beats for 3 billion. Disney is currently worth 165 billion. Just because Steve Jobs was important to Pixar (and by extension Disney) doesn't mean that this is anywhere in the realm of possibilities

Okay then. I will likely be around the next ten years if I’m still alive. Wait and see.

Post Pandemic Original Animation 3 day OWs.

Elemental - $29,61m

Encanto - $27,05m (40M  5 day)
The Bad Guys - $23,95m

Strange World $12,15m ($18,85 5 day)
Raya and the Last Dragon - $8,50M (no Cinemark on OW, plus Premiere Access)
Ron's Gone Wrong - $7,30M
Paws of Fury - $6,32M
thanks Coolio for reminding me about Strange World 

Post Pandemic Animated movies domestically:

1. Super Mario Bros - $572.11M

2. Minions The Rise of Gru - $369,50M

3. Spiderman Across The Spiderverse - $285.68

4. Puss in Boots The Last Wish - $185,53M 

5. Sing 2 - $162,79M

6. Lightyear - $118,30M

7. The Bad Guys - $97,23M

8. Encanto - $96,09M

9. DC League of Super Pets - $93,65M

10. The Croods A New Age - $58,56M

11. Raya and the Last Dragon - $57,72M

12. The Boss Baby Family Business - $57,30M

13. The Addams Fammily 2 - $56,48M

14. Paw Patrol The Movie - $40,12M

15. Strange World - $37,96M

16. Elemental -$34,91M

17. The Bob's Burgers Movie - $31,93M

18. Ron's Gone Wrong - $23,00M

19. Paws Of Fury - $17.81M

20. Spirit Untamed - $17.71m

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Look at this old fart trying a Scorcese with John Fucking Wick. What’s with these old directors and gratuitously trashing popular films? Jealousy? Oh as a veteran my fucking ass, my dude

For the guy who made that POS JFK to talk about any movie being phony is just drop dead funny.

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Prime said:

Is there a reason why Monday's estimates were so off for nearly everything so far? Is it just a case where because Juneteenth is so new nobody knew how to estimate them?

That seems like a good reason. Surprised by the holds for both Vol. 3 and ATSV. Delay the release of them all through the Summer, Disney and Sony. These films deserve to be watched at the movie theaters.

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Predicted what exactly? The DCEU clearly isn’t the same as DC films or the DCU, let alone the MCU. The narrative that Spielberg predicted the implosion of superhero blockbusters only works if we ignore what all the MCU films did since the end of the pandemic other than Quantumania, including two of them released released less than two months ago (Yeah I’m claiming the Spider-Verse films as part of the MCU, fight me)

Speilberg was not talking about super hero blockbusters but big budget movies in general.  There is a difference.

He has been saying for years that studios have gotten lazy and sloppy  and generally wasteful in the way they make movies, and they could make exactly the same movies for less money if they just cut out the waste and the inefficency. He is not the only one saying  this, many business analysts have been saying this.

That Spielberg makes movies for 80 or 90 Million dollars that look like they cost twice that much proves to me he knows what he is talking about.

Hollywood is headed for a major shakeup; they just cannot in the changed marketplace and permanent loss of ticket sales to Streaming spend money the way they have been.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2