Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

why is $30m OW bad for elementals? thats stronger than puss in boots 2 5 day , stronger than the bad guys, better than sing 2. it has all summer to leg out with minimal competition for kids unless Ruby Gilman gets a miracle

• Like 1

Just now, GOGODanca said:

why is $30m OW bad for elementals? thats stronger than puss in boots 2 5 day , stronger than the bad guys, better than sing 2. it has all summer to leg out with minimal competition for kids unless Ruby Gilman gets a miracle

Perhaps. But legs won't be as strong as Puss in Boots because it's not a holiday release. Doesn't help that it coats way more than those other movies.

Edited by JWR

Why did Elemental fail? Because it's another in a long line of animated films about abstract worlds that seem like ours... but seemingly without anything original to say. I'm assuming the film is as uninspired as the marketing made it seem and the 75%ish RT score indicates critics thought (that's "broadly palatable" range)

What does this film do (or even attempt to do) better than Zootopia (or any number of anthropomorphic animal animated films)? Or previous Pixar efforts like Monsters Inc, Cars, or even Onward?

The twist on the formula was... make it a rom-com? Can't imagine how that gets the kiddos on board.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

Elemental cost 2-3x as much to produce as those movies, and it won't get the benefit of holiday legs like Puss 2 and Sing 2 did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

I'd say they are pretty small though, it's just one generation. The Boomers and in maybe 5-10 years nature will take its course and their bigotry will die along with them because the upcoming generations are as "woke" by Boomer standards as you can be. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do have to wonder if the whole don’t say gay Disney backlash last year from the crazies in this country has genuinely affected Disney. It would make sense it would hit animation the hardest since these people tend to be your suburban family conservatives who would have lots of kids. Also the type who traditionally loved Disney. I mean, look at what’s happening to Target right now. These bigots are not just some niche or small problem these days, they’re pretty rampant. 

They'll forget about it if they haven't yet. Just like their "boycotts" against sports leagues taking social justice stands 3-4 years ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

if i'm sony and i'm seeing these numbers i'm on the phone with all theater chains and trying to get spider-verse it's PLE screens back, give it to a movie that people will go see and make money.

And Spiderverse actually deserves it visually, it doesn't have muddy crap everywhere like Beasts or shit CGI like Flash.

1 minute ago, datpepper said:

Elemental cost 2-3x as much to produce as those movies, and it won't get the benefit of holiday legs like Puss 2 and Sing 2 did.

it has all summer to play through tho and nothing thats challenging for families outside of a likely DOA Ruby Gilman, i don't know if it can break even but it can have a long run and then do bonkers on streaming, its a step in the right direction for pixar after their brand has been in the gutter since 2020 started

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I'd say they are pretty small though, it's just one generation. The Boomers and in maybe 5-10 years nature will take its course and their bigotry will die along with them because the upcoming generations are as "woke" by Boomer standards as you can be. 

You’d hope this is true, but the way they seem to be able to affect large brands who simply do something like support lgbtq community is pretty scary to make you wonder if it’s way more people than just the old farts. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

You’d hope this is true, but the way they seem to be able to affect large brands who nearly do something like support lgbtq community is pretty scary to make you wonder if it’s way more people than just the old farts. 

You're giving that crowd way too much credit than deserved. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Illumination/Universal never had an entire “boycott the company” campaign like Disney got last year. 

LOL and that boycott is doing so good let me tell you.

Record attendance numbers despite increase ticket prices in the park.

A streaming service that literally prints money on solely it being the home of all Disney animated films.

Sure there theaters may not be billion dollar hits but lets not pretend they're not still excelling at everything. Avatar 2 alone made 2 billion dollars. 

Just because some fucking clowns want to boycott Disney and  proudly wave Nazi flags,  posters with homophobic or racial slurs at the entrance to Disney World doesn't mean they're doing any true harm to the Mouse.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Pixar fall from grace is insane. Elemental has to have an incredible 4x multi merely to match Lightyear DOM, which was an epic bomb. It’s absolutely dire. I simply don’t know what they’re going to do. Disney killed them with the D+ shaming and diluting of the brand, and they can’t seem to make a film anymore that really hits that classic Pixar top tier quality for most people either. Even their good stuff recently hasn’t fallen into that category. 

Soul, Luca and Turning Red all had high critics score, they just got screwed by D+ release. Hopefully, Disney gives 5 to 6 month exclusive window for Pixar going forward which will hopefully turn the tide for the better.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

People got used to streaming and like staying home. Most people I know laugh when they find out I see movies in theaters anymore. Many don't even realize they ever reopened. To people younger than me (29) the idea of going to a theater is probably how I thought of using payphones. I guess it's just obsolete technology. We have to come to grips with this reality.

Largely agree with this sentiment, though it's important to remember that 18-34 year olds are the biggest moviegoing demographic right now. If anything, people like my parents are the audience that's never going to come back to the theater, especially when they recently got a 4K TV set with a soundbar. Although I can see a good argument for kids younger than that seeing this as obsolete and weird, especially since taking kids to the movies has always been an annoying hassle. Which can definitely lead to bad repercussions down the road.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean that demographic never goes to the movies? Moviegoing has generally skewed towards urban and metropolitan, and post-COVID, it's been skewing younger and more nonwhite than ever. The last few big movies have had it where Black or Hispanic viewers were the biggest demo. And obviously they aren't monoliths, but younger, minority groups generally don't skew conservative wackjob.

I do think we are in a bad state with this "anti-woke" shit, and it has scary repercussions, but not really for box office IMO.

• Like 1