kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

i do think people should temper their expectations with the batman part ii after the past few weeks… even though it’s an elseworlds story i could very easily see it being affected by the cratering of the dc brand. not staying it can’t still break out to 400m+ DOM or 1b+ ww, but i think folks shouldn’t be surprised if it stays flat or even decreases slightly

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The Flash's drop is kinda shocking when you look at its online audience scores, which are actually decent (80% all audience on RT, 7.3 on IMDb). Cinemascore was the only bad one, I guess they are really the most reliable metric to predict legs.

80% audience on RT is bad for a family crowdpleaser though.

16 minutes ago, Dephira said:

I’m just speculating here, but Flash feels like a case of an extremely fanboy driven film. Whoever was going to see it already decided to do so months ago, and the rest of the population just isn’t interested whatsoever. So if you weren’t interested, and 2 of your fanboy friends now tell you “flash was actually pretty decent” - you’re still not gonna have any interest in seeing it because the whole DCEU thing is so confusing and there are at least 2 other movies currently playing that seem More appealing 

Yeah this has been my thought as well. GA never cared, fans who saw it liked it but not enough to generate big repeat views, and fans who didn’t see it aren’t hearing it’s a “wow” so they’ll wait for streaming. Which at this rate it will hit in weeks if not days.

9 minutes ago, Eevin said:

i do think people should temper their expectations with the batman part ii after the past few weeks… even though it’s an elseworlds story i could very easily see it being affected by the cratering of the dc brand. not staying it can’t still break out to 400m+ DOM or 1b+ ww, but i think folks shouldn’t be surprised if it stays flat or even decreases slightly

If Battinson was unaffected by the DCEU as late as last year, he will remain unaffected by these barely watched flops. Superman: Legacy has a bigger chance of affecting TB2 but only because SL comes out a few months prior.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eevin said:

And some people want the Battinson and Joker universes to be folded into the DCEU 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Mother! bombed, Passengers bombed, Joy bombed, Red Sparrow bombed, etc. How is Jennifer Lawrence an A-lister?

On top of what other people have said, I wanna add that despite the fact that Red Sparrow was negatively reviewed, disliked by audiences, it still managed to make $150m on a $70m budget.... That's not a hit, but that's not that much of a bomb. That's pretty ok for a movie that had all of that going against it. I think that movie proves that not only is/was JLaw a Star, she was also a draw

Passengers is another movie that was kinda panned. And it made $300m on a $110m budget..... That's not bad at all. Granted it did tank in America, but it kinda killed it internationally 

Shes definitely A list and is/was also a draw

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

If Battinson was unaffected by the DCEU as late as last year, he will remain unaffected by these barely watched underperformers. Superman: Legacy has a bigger chance of affecting TB2 but only because SL comes out a few months prior.

Yeah, ironically this makes me a lot less skeptical that audiences distinguished between The Batman and "DCEU films" (because The Batman is also very obviously a comic book movie). I'm now thinking The Batman's visuals and tone really did end up differentiating itself especially as there is clearly now a "generic superhero film" visual look anyone could probably describe. 

Superman Legacy's marketing is also going to involve Gunn going around talking about a rebooted live action Batman  which is bound to confuse people/impact their reaction to TB2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

I prefer to use the Opening Week to help balance out seasons, and there its even worse between good and bad, and especially for Flash (total grosses estimated for films still in release)

The average/median performance is around 2x OWeek, but with CMBs a bit more frontloaded by nature, close to 1.9x is the the approximate baseline (dotted line)

nbsAoDx.png

Top tier is GOTG3, ATSV and Batman, which had a short theatrical window that cut down on legs (would be closer to ATSV without the HBO release). BWPF and BA are above average (aided by holidays), while Thor and Strange are below it, but not significantly so. The bottom 4 just crashed from OWeek, rejected by audiences outside the initial opening, Flash likely to set a new low water mark

WF fighting against the veterans’s day in denominator to a degree. Insane that QM missed bottom 3 despite having pres day in there 

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Yeah, ironically this makes me a lot less skeptical that audiences distinguished between The Batman and "DCEU films" (because The Batman is also very obviously a comic book movie). I'm now thinking The Batman's visuals and tone really did end up differentiating itself especially as there is clearly now a "generic superhero film" visual look anyone could probably describe. 

Superman Legacy's marketing is also going to involve Gunn going around talking about a rebooted live action Batman  which is bound to confuse people/impact their reaction to TB2.

Completely agree with bolded part. It's mindboggling that a rebooted younger Superman film will come out just 3 months or so prior to Battinson 2 but Superman's DCU will have a completely different Batman.

I know it was Reeves who didn't play along but man. 

2 hours ago, MotionPictured said:

The Mummy bombed. Babylon bombed. Most George Clooney movies bomb. Aren't he and Cruise and Pitt A-listers?

Babylon couldn't even open to $4m and I am betting people still consider Brad Pitt an A-lister.

Amsterdam and Babylon lost over $100m each and every Margot Robbie movie not starring DiCaprio or Will Smith has underperformed but I am betting people here consider Margot Robbie an A-lister.

I wanna fight back against Clooney here a bit, bc I feel like I hear what you said a lot. Whenever he tries to do BIG movies, yeah some have flopped, Tomorrowland most famously. But no one was saving that

But when he stars in Mid budget movies, where movies stars thrive, he churns out a lot of hits. The American, despite being as far away from mainstream as a hitman movie could, was a hit. Ides of March was a hit. The Ocean's films are hits, Up in the air was a hit, The Descendants was a hit. Ticket to Paradise was a hit. Burn after Reading was a hit. Michael Clayton was a hit. Hell, even Hail Caesar and Money Monster did or nearly tripled their budgets. ALL mid budget movies

Sure he's got some Leatherheads in there, but saying Most George Clooney movies flop is unfair. Dudes a true movie star who has tried focusing on midbudget movies, and whenever he does them, they usually do well. I just wish he would've been acting more in these recent years instead of directing. Hopefully that new Jon Watts movie starring him and Pitt will be pretty big.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Ticket to Paradise was mid as hell but did make me realize how much I miss clooney in movie star mode. don't think a lot of the guys around now have even 20% of his charisma. too focused on being a terrible director!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The Batman is a hugely well recieved first movie world wide of course people are gonna show up for the sequel. Hello John Wick and so many other well recieved first movies where sequels blow up. 

Gunn isn’t gonna talk about a new rebooted live action Batman for his Superman Legacy movie. Come on get real.

Edited by jasonlawrence

Which outcome occurs when Indy opens to 58.6 mil next weekend:

1. Existentialism across the industry over a financial model that leans on tired franchises

2. Calls for the death of theaters, despite every legacy studio pivoting away from streaming movies in the past 18 months 

3. Placing more faith in the Barbie/Oppenheimer weekend which as far as one film's hype bolstering the other (and both looking like good movies people actually want to see) seems somewhat unprecedented 

4. Tom Cruise calling people angrily about why Mission didn't open before July 4th

5. All of the above

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

Lawrence lost her relevancy by sheer  virtue of not really doing anything for most of a decade. It doesn’t even matter if some of her more “recent” films did better bc of her. We’re talking most of a decade ago. She was still a very new star when she left the scene/fell off, way too early for that to still stay relevant. And she was definitely on a very notable downward trend for hits before she left as well. Passengers, 7 years ago, was the last film you could argue she really seemed to have some box office draw power still, but let’s not forget Pratt was at his peak at the time. Entirely possible he was a bigger draw by then. 

In fact, considering 4 of her prior films to that movie were all box office disappointments (both Mockingjays, Joy, and Apocalypse), I’d argue Pratt was indeed the one who carried that. He was coming fresh off two juggernauts. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

1. Existentialism across the industry over a financial model that leans on tired franchises

2. Calls for the death of theaters, despite every legacy studio pivoting away from streaming movies in the past 18 months 

3. Placing more faith in the Barbie/Oppenheimer weekend which as far as one film's hype bolstering the other (and both just looking like exciting movies for certain audiences) seems unprecedented

4. Tom Cruise calling people angrily about why Mission didn't open before July 4th

5. All of the above

27 YouTube channels are telling me kathleen kennedy will be publicly executed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I’m sincerely way more excited with Brave and the Bold than Batman 2. I feel like I really need something different from Batman, namely I want to see his Bat family, I want to see Damien, and I truly, truly want to see Nightwing. Reeves Batman feels a lot like been there done that. Brave and the Bold feels fresh. Hope Muschietti actually nails that one.

34 minutes ago, Eevin said:

It is so distinctively different from anything in the DCEU that to think that it'll affect it at all is foolish at best. If anything, The Flash was affected by The Batman being a success because audiences have already decided which Batman they want to see and it ain't the ones shown in The Flash.  Also we ran this exact experiment before in 2019 and last year with Joker and The Batman, both were unaffected by the DCEU. 

Audiences are not stupid, they have eyes, they can tell that something that looks like The Batman is not like The Flash. They don't just watch The Flash, saw it had Batman on it, and immediately associate it with Reeves and then punish Reeves film over how bad The Flash was when both have entirely different styles and tones. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gopher said:

It's tracking badly, hopefully walk up business will be strong, although i kinda doubt it. Old males already bought tickets to Oppenheimer