kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

And yes, if anything MCU’s Spider-Man and Spider-Verse 100% proves that people are actually eager for a fresh take from these characters that are more faithful to how they’ve always been depicted in the comics.

MCU Spider-Man, while differs significantly from previous adaptations, is adaptation mostly in name only, it's by far the least faithful adaptation of Spider-Man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Batman, Joker, Batman & Friends, Batman, Joker & Sucker Accomplices, Batman & Wonder Woman, Batman

Batman and Batman and Batman: The Dawn of Batmen, Poison Ivy, Riddler. No Robins though because Batman rides alone. 🤡

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Well i dont think she really laid low, she was still a pretty big draw.

She got pregnant, and wanted to be there for the first few years of her kids life.

She's already said she wont be doing another film for a couple of years after this new one.

Her last movie (before her break) came out in 2018. That same year it was announced that she left her agency (CAA) and her entire team. She signed with a new manager. The same manager that has represented Leo since Titanic. He also represents Scorsese and Reese Witherspoon (apparently the richest actress in the world with $440m). Then immediately after Jennifer signed with him, she went on a long break. You can Google all of this, it made pretty big headlines.

And now she is only slowly starting to make movies again. So yeah, I think she's going to be fine?

It's weird though, it seems like when people talk about her they act like she is Lindsay Lohan or something lol. Like someone who completely lost the plot. I do agree she is in a weird transitional phase career wise because she is older now. I am guessing it won't be until she gets a prestige movie and another Oscar nomination that people will feel like she's really returned to form.

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

MCU Spider-Man, while differs significantly from previous adaptations, is adaptation mostly in name only, it's by far the least faithful adaptation of Spider-Man.

You see, I used to think like this. Now, I don’t think so. I think in fact that MCU’s Spider-Man is quite possibly the most faithful adaptation ever in the MCU. Why? Marvel Comics was never about simply "origin stories". It is about how the characters interweave and interact within that world. Marvel Studios have successfully told a whole new generation of Spider-Man fans this brand new take on the Spider-Man origin that yes, takes one hell lot of liberties for the comics, but it’s at its very core the most faithful adaptation of Spider-Man ever done, doing the literal impossible feat of telling an origin story through the course of its first three Spider-Man films. To me, it feels a lot like the Harry Potter saga, but at a superhero scale. The fact that a whole new trilogy is being build around this take excites to no end because I feel it’s the character that Marvel Studios ironically has the best grip and care from all the others they’ve given us so far. Holland could easily play Spider-Man for another twenty years and I wouldn’t complain it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

Her last movie (before her break) came out in 2018. That same year it was announced that she left her agency (CAA) and her entire team. She signed with a new manager. The same manager that has represented Leo since Titanic. He also represents Scorsese and Reese Witherspoon (apparently the richest actress in the world with $440m). Then immediately after Jennifer signed with him, she went on a long break. You can Google all of this, it made pretty big headlines.

And now she is only slowly starting to make movies again. So yeah, I think she's going to be fine?

It's weird though, it seems like when people talk about her they act like she is Lindsay Lohan or something lol. Like someone who completely lost the plot. I do agree she is in a weird transitional phase career wise because she is older now. I am guessing it won't be until she gets a prestige movie and another Oscar nomination that people will feel like she's really returned to form.

I think you missunderstood my post, i wasnt criticizing her, i actually like her a lot, i think she's a breath of fresh air in her interviews, and isnt afarid to be herself, in a world where everyone is scared stiff of upsetting someone.

And everything you said is true i;'m sure, but its also true that she got pregnant, and publicly said she's taking time away from acting as she wanted to be there for her child after giving birth.

Again like i said, she publicly said in an interview that she wont be making another film for a couple of years after this one. It was literally just the other day.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I think you missunderstood my post, i wasnt criticizing her, i actually like her a lot, i think she's a breath of fresh air in her interviews, and isnt afarid to be herself, in a world where everyone is scared stiff of upsetting someone.

And everything you said is true i;'m sure, but its also true that she got pregnant, and publicly said she's taking time away from acting as she wanted to be there for her child after giving birth.

Again like i said, she publicly said in an interview that she wont be making another film for a couple of years after this one. It was literally just the other day.

I knew you weren't criticizing. I just went off on a tangent haha sorry.

But she filmed Don't Look Up before she even got pregnant. 

Edited by MotionPictured

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

You see, I used to think like this. Now, I don’t think so. I think in fact that MCU’s Spider-Man is quite possibly the most faithful adaptation ever in the MCU. Why? Marvel Comics was never about simply "origin stories". It is about how the characters interweave and interact within that world. Marvel Studios have successfully told a whole new generation of Spider-Man fans this brand new take on the Spider-Man origin that yes, takes one hell lot of liberties for the comics, but it’s at its very core the most faithful adaptation of Spider-Man ever done, doing the literal impossible feat of telling an origin story through the course of its first three Spider-Man films. To me, it feels a lot like the Harry Potter saga, but at a superhero scale. The fact that a whole new trilogy is being build around this take excites to no end because I feel it’s the character that Marvel Studios ironically has the best grip and care from all the others they’ve given us so far. Holland could easily play Spider-Man for another twenty years and I wouldn’t complain it.

I'm really not sure how everything you listed has anything to do with whether it's faithful or not. I'm pretty sure Peter Parker wasn't a smug rich kid with cool sexy aunt and billionaire father figure who provides him with expensive toys, successfully throwing away all the relatability of the character. I'm pretty sure Peter had uncle Ben, I'm pretty sure MJ wasn't very awkward nerd, Flash wasn't rich fat brat who bullies with his parents' money and Peter's best friend wasn't fat hawaiian clown named Ned. And I'm pretty sure villains didn't have forced Iron Man connection with completely different backstories and look, or Spider-Man having expensive AI costume and barely swinging at all in NYC, just running around in small neighbours. Look, it's ok if you like it, there are adaptations that have nothing to do with the source material that I love, but personally I don't find what they did with the character compelling at all compared to any other adaptations or the source material, they stripped him from everything that defined the character and replaced it with things I don't find interesting imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

I'm really not sure how everything you listed has anything to do with whether it's faithful or not. I'm pretty sure Peter Parker wasn't a smug rich kid with cool sexy aunt and billionaire father figure who provides him with expensive toys, successfully throwing away all the relatability of the character. I'm pretty sure Peter had uncle Ben, I'm pretty sure MJ wasn't very awkward nerd, Flash wasn't rich fat brat who bullies with his parents' money and Peter's best friend wasn't fat hawaiian clown named Ned. And I'm pretty sure villains didn't have forced Iron Man connection with completely different backstories and look, or Spider-Man having expensive AI costume and barely swinging at all in NYC, just running around in small neighbours. Look, it's ok if you like it, there are adaptations that have nothing to do with the source material that I love, but personally I don't find what they did with the character compelling at all compared to any other adaptations or the source material, they stripped him from everything that defined the character and replaced it with things I don't find interesting imo.

That’s not how world building works. And clearly neither Peter or May were never treated as rich. Also there is a big misconception to Peter Parker thanks to Raimi’s take and a lot of nerd projection: Peter Parker was never ugly. Also clearly you are the type of Spider-Man ‘fan’ that can’t see the obvious: Stan Lee created a Spider-Man for its time. Bendis created a Spider-Man for its time with Ultimate Spider-Man, both Peter and Miles. And finally, the MCU created for our time, that it’s a lot more faithful to the essence of who that character is than all the iterations that came before. You write like Miguel O’Hara about ‘canon events’ while the MCU went ‘nah, Imma do my own thing’ and I’m here for it and applaud them for that. 

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s not how world building works. And clearly neither Peter or May were never treated as rich. Also there is a big misconception to Peter Parker thanks to Raimi’s take and a lot of nerd projection: Peter Parker was never ugly. Also clearly you are the type of Spider-Man ‘fan’ that can’t see the obvious: Stan Lee created a Spider-Man for its time. Bendis created a Spider-Man for its time with Ultimate Spider-Man, both Peter and Miles. And finally, the MCU created for our time, that it’s a lot more faithful to the essence of who that character is than all the iterations that came before. You write like Miguel O’Hara about ‘canon events’ while the MCU went ‘nah, Imma do my own thing’ and I’m here for it and applaud them for that. 

Peter is very much treated as rich. Aunt is far from poor too, they certainly don't struggle at all. And how world building of shared universe has anything to do with whether it's a faithful adaptation of Spider-Man or not, I don't get it. Peter Parker was never ugly in any adaptation, so not sure about misconception either. You are talking about the essence of the character, but from what I can see everything that defined the character was taken away from top to bottom, so what this essence is in your opinion and how it's more faithful than previous adaptations?

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

Just now, TomThomas said:

Peter is very much treated as rich. Aunt is far from poor too, they certainly don't struggle at all. And how world building of shared universe has anything to do with whether it's a faithful adaptation of Spider-Man or not, I don't get it,l. Peter Parker was never ugly in any adaptation, so not sure about misconception either. You are talking about the essence of the character, but from what I can see everything that defined the character was taken away from top to bottom, so what this essence is in your opinion and how it's more faithful than previous adaptations?

Do you know how much it costs to live in Queens? And look kid, I’m 42 years old. I’ve been reading about Spider-Man since before I could even read. I was younger than Peter, then I had his age and now I’m way older than him. It’s my favorite character in fiction. I’m sorry you feel that way, I’m sorry that ‘canon events’ are so important to you to the point that you can’t see for yourself how much of Spider-Man’s essence got adapted and bright to today’s world. But hey, there are always the comics, right?

8 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Peter is very much treated as rich. Aunt is far from poor too, they certainly don't struggle at all. And how world building of shared universe has anything to do with whether it's a faithful adaptation of Spider-Man or not, I don't get it. Peter Parker was never ugly in any adaptation, so not sure about misconception either. You are talking about the essence of the character, but from what I can see everything that defined the character was taken away from top to bottom, so what this essence is in your opinion and how it's more faithful than previous adaptations?

I think I went cross eyed reading some of these back and forth and arguments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Return of the King:

Holy shit: they’re taking away Flash’s IMAX and giving them to ATSV mid-weekend. Seeing showtimes pop up for Sunday  

(took them long enough!)

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Holy shit: they’re taking away Flash’s IMAX and giving them to ATSV mid-weekend. Seeing showtimes pop up for Sunday  

(took them long enough!)

THE BEST SUPER HERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME

THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR

BELIEVE THE HYPE

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Do you know how much it costs to live in Queens? And look kid, I’m 42 years old. I’ve been reading about Spider-Man since before I could even read. I was younger than Peter, then I had his age and now I’m way older than him. It’s my favorite character in fiction. I’m sorry you feel that way, I’m sorry that ‘canon events’ are so important to you to the point that you can’t see for yourself how much of Spider-Man’s essence got adapted and bright to today’s world. But hey, there are always the comics, right?

I still don't get what essence you are talking about, but agree to disagree I guess.

Just now, CJohn said:

THE BEST SUPER HERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME

THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR

BELIEVE THE HYPE

I’d argue that either Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse have seats at the table when it comes to the best superhero films of all time, if that’s what Zaslav, Gunn, Cruise, King, Del Toro and all the bloggers were talking about. There is a clear silver lining for me here, instead of one, we got two of the best superhero films of all time. Just not the one that it was been hyped as such.

• Haha 1