kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Just now, MightyDargon said:

No, because DC film sucks at things that aren't Batman.  They whiffed what could have been a great franchise starter in Green Lantern, screwed up Wonder Woman beyond repair at movie #2 to the point Gunn won't reboot her despite being a Big 3 character, somehow managed to tank their own Justice League despite massive hype, and can't even get "bring Keaton's Batman back for nostalgia in a team up" right. The "DC brand" is an utter fucking failure on par with Sony's Godzilla at this point. If they want it to have ANY value they need to give non-Batman stuff a 10 year break. Even Universal knew when it was time to give Jurassic Park a rest and most of the DC releases in the last 5 years would've killed for Dominion's gross.

Boring message board takes imho. I mean Zaslav is a moron, but at least he hired the best person to spearhead DC Studios.

• Like 1

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Boring message board takes imho. I mean Zaslav is a moron, but at least he hired the best person to spearhead DC Studios.

Y'know what's really boring? You whining about Matt Reeves' Batman and then thinking what people want out of DC is...the Authority. Seriously, watch the Justice League cartoon. If WB wanted they could probably adapt some of those stories into live action films. Those cartoons handled Green Lantern much better than WB's horrible live action version. It's not my fault your studio utterly fucking whiffs when it gets 200 mil and high concept storylines.

Also, Matt Reeves at least had the sense to do a mainly practical effects based movie rather than an unfinished CGI fest. I don't think the Flash could have been done with practical but the CGI they did use was...not great.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Y'know what's really boring? You whining about Matt Reeves' Batman and then thinking what people want out of DC is...the Authority. Seriously, watch the Justice League cartoon. If WB wanted they could probably adapt some of those stories into live action films. Those cartoons handled Green Lantern much better than WB's horrible live action version. It's not my fault your studio utterly fucking whiffs when it gets 200 mil and high concept storylines.

Also, Matt Reeves at least had the sense to do a mainly practical effects based movie rather than an unfinished CGI fest. I don't think the Flash could have been done with practical but the CGI they did use was...not great.

I love The Batman. I wish I could be as excited as I am for Brave and the Bold for The Batman 2. For all Reeves artistic integrity and how he is planning his Batman stories, it has been done before. There is absolutely nothing about Reeves Batman that it makes it precious so Superman and other DC characters inhabited that world. It’s the director’s choice to play second best to Nolan, despite me personally liking it more than Batman Begins. I’ve had enough Batman origin stories for a lifetime. I’m glad that exists and look forward for the sequel, but I can’t help feel a lot more excited for Brave and the Bold thanks to the premise alone, and we don’t even know what is the cast yet. I feel like I’m not alone in wanting something fresh from Batman instead of the predictable lone hero journey we all saw he goes through with the TDK trilogy.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I love The Batman. I wish I could be as excited as I am for Brave and the Bold for The Batman 2. For all Reeves artistic integrity and how he is planning his Batman stories, it has been done before. There is absolutely nothing about Reeves Batman that it makes it precious so Superman and other DC characters inhabited that world. It’s the director’s choice to play second best to Nolan, despite me personally liking it more than Batman Begins. I’ve had enough Batman origin stories for a lifetime. I’m glad that exists and look forward for the sequel, but I can’t help feel a lot more excited for Brave and the Bold thanks to the premise alone, and we don’t even know what is the cast yet. I feel like I’m not alone in wanting something fresh from Batman instead of the predictable lone hero journey we all saw he goes through with the TDK trilogy.

I'd rather have Batman as a solo character than have him be sullied by terrible team ups. My headcanon end for Keaton's Batman wasn't to have him die twice to try to make people like Ezra Miller's Flash. I'm sick of corporate synergy for a dying behemoth like Zaslav's WB. That pissed me of sufficiently that I'm willing to skip DC Reboot #3.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

vBwykIn.png

Most of the time two wrongs don't make a right but I think a Morbius/Flash teamup movie would tap into that meme energy and make 3 billies worldwide easy

How about none. Every single one of these are less than the sum of their parts.

Batman/TMNT would be pretty cool though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Push Superman: Legacy to 2028. 

Not just pushing.

Have nothing in between.

Blue Beetle part of DCU is releasing between Flash and Aqauaman who are part of DCEU, is this a joke. Does WB think audience are fools.

• Haha 1

Gunn needs to dive in and make Supes Legacy awesome. There's arguably never been truly awesome Supes live action aside from maybe the first two. Maybe. If he can deliver, could be big even. Especially if it leans into the cosmic Supes stuff that Gunn seems keen on with Guardians and Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Brave and Bold is super fun concept but would have to be incredible and really strike the right chord. Audiences always are invested in a Batman franchise that was literally just rebooted. I understand Spidey has Parker and Morales going now but one being animated and a different Spidey makes it a unique and very distinct difference. Having another live action mega budgeted Batman while Battinson is ongoing I'd think would be a huge, huge risk. Now, if The Batman didn't happen, of course... But, it did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Gunn needs to dive in and make Supes Legacy awesome. There's arguably never been truly awesome Supes live action aside from maybe the first two. Maybe. If he can deliver, could be big even. Especially if it leans into the cosmic Supes stuff that Gunn seems keen on with Guardians and Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Brave and Bold is super fun concept but would have to be incredible and really strike the right chord. Audiences always are invested in a Batman franchise that was literally just rebooted. I understand Spidey has Parker and Morales going now but one being animated and a different Spidey makes it a unique and very distinct difference. Having another live action mega budgeted Batman while Battinson is ongoing I'd think would be a huge, huge risk. Now, if The Batman didn't happen, of course... But, it did. 

I have some theories that The Batman’s run will be short. Like three films and that’s it. If Brave and the Bold is able to aim for the more fantastical elements of Batman, I think it could work. Let the whole "Black Label" prestige fad that WB has it going die by its own. I don’t understand the necessity of world building with Reeves Batman world if it’s going to last just three films, but I don’t see Pattinson doing this for longer.

I agree that Brave and the Bold is a lot harder project than Superman Legacy though. It needs to be perfect and stand out from Reeves Batman.

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

vBwykIn.png

Most of the time two wrongs don't make a right but I think a Morbius/Flash teamup movie would tap into that meme energy and make 3 billies worldwide easy

Put me down for Deadpool/Ambush Bug.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The problem is you can't realistically ask WB to reboot the DCU and not have batman in it. I do agree there is a very high chance TB being ongoing in the meantime can cause a problem though. It's a conundrum.

The news for DC and Warner Bros.’ big-budget superhero pic The Flash — which opened last weekend opposite Elemental to a sobering $55.1 million — grew worse as it fell off 72 percent to $15.3 million for a domestic cume of $87.6 million. Unlike Elemental, The Flash received poor exit scores. (The studio had hoped for a decline of 55 percent.) Insiders concede the film, starring Ezra Miller, is a huge miss and is being rejected by audiences on a wholesale basis.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-flash-box-office-spider-man-1235523333/

38 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have some theories that The Batman’s run will be short. Like three films and that’s it. If Brave and the Bold is able to aim for the more fantastical elements of Batman, I think it could work. Let the whole "Black Label" prestige fad that WB has it going die by its own. I don’t understand the necessity of world building with Reeves Batman world if it’s going to last just three films, but I don’t see Pattinson doing this for longer.

I agree that Brave and the Bold is a lot harder project than Superman Legacy though. It needs to be perfect and stand out from Reeves Batman.

Is a 3 movie run really short by DC standards these days? Superman couldn’t get a proper trilogy, Wonder Woman won’t, Justice League couldn’t get a sequel… The only potential character who could get a trilogy atp besides Battinson is Aquaman if Lost Kingdom surprises. 

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Is a 3 movie run really short by DC standards these days? Superman couldn’t get a proper trilogy, Wonder Woman won’t, Justice League couldn’t get a sequel… The only potential character who could get a trilogy atp besides Battinson is Aquaman if Lost Kingdom surprises. 

My point is that I’m not even sure if a third movie is actually warranted. What is stopping Reeves and Pattinson of doing a Burton’s and Keaton’s Batman?

Edited by ZattMurdock

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

My point is that I’m not even sure if a third movie is actually warranted. What is stopping Reeves and Pattinson of doing a Burton’s and Keaton’s Batman?

Burton got the boot after Returns or he and Keaton likely would've done another. Reeves just completed a trilogy so I doubt he has any reservations doing another trilogy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeQ said:

I hear you. There are earlier Wes Anderson films I really like, but I must admit he has lost me. And I also say that with respect to Wes Anderson fans. Movies like The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic have heart and an emotional beat. Nowadays, it feels like every actor in a Wes Anderson movie is trying to do the same Wes Anderson style deadpan delivery, devoid of anything dynamic or emotionally compelling.

I'm concerned that Asteroid City is another of his recent films that is overstuffed with characters, lacking humanity, and will leave me feeling disconnected, again. I see it this weekend; maybe I'll be surprised.

Peace,

Mike

The issue I have with Wes Anderson's film is that his movie oftenly felt overcast, overstyle and overscript. But somehow the flaws, is where his command his fandom , it is a unique signature to make people, love it or hate it, have an impression on his movie.

An indie movie making $9m is a big feat in post-Covid world. Clearly the viral tiktok phenomenon contribute to this achievement, PG-13 rating probably allow the movie to tap into tiktok crowd more than ever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Burton got the boot after Returns or he and Keaton likely would've done another. Reeves just completed a trilogy so I doubt he has any reservations doing another trilogy. 

Correct, but at same time we never had two concurrent Batman takes going on. I wouldn’t call The Flash as a Batman film, but Batman: Brave and the Bold or whatever it’ll end up being called clearly is. In a perfect world, I’d be all over The Batman being part of the DCU, but it is what it is.