Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

13 minutes ago, KC7 said:

This reminds me of when the 2015 Vacation bombed and some (I think in Deadline's analysis) tried blaming it on Christina Applegate, and how they should have hired someone hotter, or younger, or a bigger name to play Ed Helms' wife. Somehow it's always the female lead's fault.

I don't think anyone is coming to an Indiana Jones movie for the female lead (was any of the box office success of Crystal Skull attributable to Blanchett?). Also, I doubt Emily Blunt is enough of a box office draw to help this movie, but she, or anyone who's a big enough name, would probably require the character of Helena be built up more to be a co-lead with Ford. Considering how much people have bitched about Helena as played by Waller-Jones (and despite the rumors, I thought she was allowed to get her shots in and have great moments while still very much being a secondary lead to Jones), that would have given them even more to bitch about.

(Even if Waller-Bridge didn't help the box office, I do think she helped the movie. The movie really lacked the character development and moments of the first three, so Helena's character leaned heavily into Waller-Bridge providing her with personality that wasn't on the page. I didn't necessarily like her through the first half, but I appreciated that she was very much doing the tough, resourceful, independent 1930 movie dame that felt like she could have stepped out of the serials that inspired this series to begin with.)

I don't know what Applegate movie you are referring to, it should not automatically be the actresses fault, and I can't imagine an argument where Christina Applegate isn't hot enough, but for Indy 5 and PWB, she is 90% of the reason I won't see this movie so that's 6 tickets lost. Hell I probably would have gone again if it was good and made some room for the older generation so even more tickets.

Indiana Jones is probably my favorite film franchise (that or Mission Impossible) and I won't see this movie. I have $5,000 of Star Wars ships on the shelves behind me and I have never seen Rise of Skywalker, Mandolorian, Bobba Fett, Obi Wan series. They aren't made for me and I know I'll get nothing out of them. PWB in the trailers told me Indy 5 was joining those titles.

It's sad they have to antagonize previous generations so much, I didn't have a great relationship with my Dad but when I think about something we did have in common, it's movies and baseball. Movies aren't supposed to be like this. Stories are supposed to bridge values from one generation to the next, not ostracize.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Weeks ago, Film Twitter went out of its way to blame Zaslav and Gunn for The Flash. Even though neither greenlit it, were creatively involved and merely inherited it from the previous WB/DC regime.

So I'm gonna very curious if they are equally vicious to Bob Iger over the failure of Dial of Destiny. Or will everyone suddenly handle him with kid gloves and point out how he too inherited this?

Who greenlit ezra miller as the lead?

Edited by screambaby

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've posted like a trillion times in the last month that I don't care one lick about budgets. Why do I give a shit if a studio breaks even? I don't care if something like Air cost 50 mill or 300 mill either. I care about what a movie can make relative to reasonable expectations, and no doubt Indy is doing slightly better than other notable flops in that department, though still obviously very disappointing.

It doesn't matter anyway. CJohn is the only other poster who gets it. Shit just sucks!!

Why do you care what a movie can make relative to reasonable expectations? I mean, if you don't care about studios break even, there isn't reason for the movie to make money or not.

Honestly, your argument feels like an excuse just because people are pointing to the budget to explain a bomb.

Edited by Kon

10 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Weeks ago, Film Twitter went out of its way to blame Zaslav and Gunn for The Flash. Even though neither greenlit it, were creatively involved and merely inherited it from the previous WB/DC regime.

So I'm gonna very curious if they are equally vicious to Bob Iger over the failure of Dial of Destiny. Or will everyone suddenly handle him with kid gloves and point out how he too inherited this?

while they do deserve blame for crazily overhyping it. Saying it was one of the best superhero movies ever made 

Edited by John Marston

Zaslav and Gunn bet an entire next phase of their most lucrative IP on the success of the Flash. Indiana Jones ends with this one and Disney can cut losses. The previous situation is much more troublesome than the latter.

Zaslav and Iger should both be eaten, to be clear.

29 minutes ago, KC7 said:

This reminds me of when the 2015 Vacation bombed and some (I think in Deadline's analysis) tried blaming it on Christina Applegate, and how they should have hired someone hotter, or younger, or a bigger name to play Ed Helms' wife. Somehow it's always the female lead's fault.

I don't think anyone is coming to an Indiana Jones movie for the female lead (was any of the box office success of Crystal Skull attributable to Blanchett?). Also, I doubt Emily Blunt is enough of a box office draw to help this movie, but she, or anyone who's a big enough name, would probably require the character of Helena be built up more to be a co-lead with Ford. Considering how much people have bitched about Helena as played by Waller-Jones (and despite the rumors, I thought she was allowed to get her shots in and have great moments while still very much being a secondary lead to Jones), that would have given them even more to bitch about.

(Even if Waller-Bridge didn't help the box office, I do think she helped the movie. The movie really lacked the character development and moments of the first three, so Helena's character leaned heavily into Waller-Bridge providing her with personality that wasn't on the page. I didn't necessarily like her through the first half, but I appreciated that she was very much doing the tough, resourceful, independent 1930 movie dame that felt like she could have stepped out of the serials that inspired this series to begin with.)

No, I'm sorry. That's not what I meant. What they decided to do with depressed Indy, plot itself being a rehash, etc. is why it would never really work. One of the reasons I was excited to see Indy was for PWB. Big fan. Love the risk in giving her such a role. I made a point that she was one of the highlights of the movie. I guess I was just surprised they cast her given their past of casting proven leading actresses in most of their big roles. I'd have said the same if it were a relative unknown playing his godson rather than his goddaughter. I'd wonder the same thing... But, the movie doesn't work because outside of a few wonderfully kooky moments, it's a dull exhausting rehash that feels as tired as Ford looks in the movie.

• Like 1

I think no matter what creative choice they made with Indy, whether casting or tone, it wouldn't matter that much. The problem is that this franchise doesn't land with people under 40 in today's world. The 1980s are now closer to D-Day than they are to our time! Indiana Jones is much more in the category of Ghostbusters and Die Hard and Terminator than anything else. You want to make bank? Do late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia. Get Viggo and Bloom back for a fourth Lord of the Rings. Make another Shrek or Austin Powers. That's the nostalgia sweet spot.

Watching Dial of Destiny, I kept thinking I wish my Dad was here. It's the exact movie he loved so much. Unfortunately, he is dead, and would be an 80 year old white male if he wasn't. Not exactly the prime demographic to rack up those dollars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Daily numbers have been … weird since like Tuesday, clearly some inflated weekdays and now weaker Fridays, except for Indy 

Won’t be surprised if we see some more weirdness in next two days with all the holiday effects, or maybe Indy & Ruby are just pulling more from films in market than initially expected 

Canada wildfires closed pools on the East Coast again Wed-Fri in different areas...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

I don't know what Applegate movie you are referring to, it should not automatically be the actresses fault, and I can't imagine an argument where Christina Applegate isn't hot enough, but for Indy 5 and PWB, she is 90% of the reason I won't see this movie so that's 6 tickets lost. Hell I probably would have gone again if it was good and made some room for the older generation so even more tickets.

Indiana Jones is probably my favorite film franchise (that or Mission Impossible) and I won't see this movie. I have $5,000 of Star Wars ships on the shelves behind me and I have never seen Rise of Skywalker, Mandolorian, Bobba Fett, Obi Wan series. They aren't made for me and I know I'll get nothing out of them. PWB in the trailers told me Indy 5 was joining those titles.

It's sad they have to antagonize previous generations so much, I didn't have a great relationship with my Dad but when I think about something we did have in common, it's movies and baseball. Movies aren't supposed to be like this. Stories are supposed to bridge values from one generation to the next, not ostracize.

Guy From Viral 'Blinking Guy' Meme Is Using His GIF To Raise ...

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Holdhovers are making my eyes bleed. The Little Mermaid's 300M chances are officially over.

With as close as it's gonna get, I can't see Disney not pushing it over to $300.1M, even if it takes months...unless theaters truly clear out July 21.  Then, it won't be Disney's call.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think no matter what creative choice they made with Indy, whether casting or tone, it wouldn't matter that much. The problem is that this franchise doesn't land with people under 40 in today's world. The 1980s are now closer to D-Day than they are to our time! Indiana Jones is much more in the category of Ghostbusters and Die Hard and Terminator than anything else. You want to make bank? Do late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia. Get Viggo and Bloom back for a fourth Lord of the Rings. Make another Shrek or Austin Powers. That's the nostalgia sweet spot.

Watching Dial of Destiny, I kept thinking I wish my Dad was here. It's the exact movie he loved so much. Unfortunately, he is dead, and would be an 80 year old white male if he wasn't. Not exactly the prime demographic to rack up those dollars.

I don't think I have ever met another person my age who cares about Lord of the rings, Shrek/Harry Potter/Pirates are the real goldmines. 

Edited by WorkingonaName

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

I don't think I have ever met another person my age who cares about Lord of the rings, Shrek/Harry Potter/Pirates are the real goldmines. 

I agree as a 29 year old, LOTR wasn't the best example. Harry Potter and Pirates are kind of toxic assets now though so that was why I used it. Shrek is Incredibles 2 numbers waiting to happen, can't believe they are still sitting on it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Zaslav and Gunn bet an entire next phase of their most lucrative IP on the success of the Flash. Indiana Jones ends with this one and Disney can cut losses. The previous situation is much more troublesome than the latter.

Zaslav and Iger should both be eaten, to be clear.

????
They very, very clearly didn't. 
Don't get me wrong, hyping up The Flash that much was stupid as hell, but Gunn went out of his way to modify the ending in January so the future DCU wouldn't rely /at all/ on The Flash and make it kinda pointless for their new plans.  They never committed to Ezra for the new DCU, they never committed for Sasha Calle for the new DCU. 

They were dumb for saying it was "the best superhero movie ever", but at the same time, nothing about their plans even remotely relied on The Flash being a success. They purposefully disconnected the movie from all their future plans. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah you lost me on this one. EEAAO and Asteroid City are both much bigger success stories than The Flash or Indy. I'm just saying that when it comes to "bigger bomb" I don't care if Indy cost $50 mill more than the Flash when the expectation for Flash was like NWH numbers from alot of people and it won't even make that opening day in total. Now that's a bomb.

See, I disagree here.  Expectations on this board were about even for the two movies.  There were as many folks joining the "Indy will bomb b/c X" as there were "Flash will bomb b/c Y" - in fact, there may have been more in the Flash realm b/c of the star.  If you go back to the Flash thread when the star's news 1st came out and then when WB was canning DC movies, there are a TON of us who said they never should have released the Flash film b/c it was gonna bomb and tarnish the brand...and now it did...