Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

44 minutes ago, baumer said:

My point is, a lot of people are questioning why studios are making the drop so soft today. I'm just saying with the holiday in Canada they can be traditionally anywhere between 4 and 7% softer than usual.

Yeah I got that part. I just don't understand whether the budget is 295 or 330 if it matters. This movies box office is the hindenberg crashing into the titanic in the middle of pearl harbor...

Edited by screambaby

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

this is not Mangold fault, why should be turned against him?.

Some people should just accept doing a 300M budgeted action adventure movie with an 80 years old as main star it's exactly dumb as tring to male a 300M budgeted Lara Croft movie with Meryl Streep as Lara. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

If he’s replacing muschietti, he might as well replace mangold too lol - they both directed tepidly reviewed IP mega bombs, with indy possibly being an even bigger money loser.

Mangold has more of a leg to stand on since he has a better track record overall than Muschietti (He has a Best Picture nomination for Ford vs. Ferrari and a screenwriting nomination for Logan, something Muschietti does not) and Swamp Thing can be done with a very modest budget.  Also it seems the project was put on the slate specifically for him. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Isnt Sound of Freedom getting a limited release? It's only playing at one or two theaters in the greater Toronto area.

Yes, but Deadline reported its presales were already $7.2M+ 2 days ago, so it's definitely gonna get to $15-$30M for its opening 6 days, depending how theaters decided to give it shows last minute for final sets...now, how it reports the 6 days will be how it does for opening "weekend" or if it just does each day, and wins a day (which might be July 4)...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 21C said:

Mangold has more of a leg to stand on since he has a better track record overall than Muschietti (He has a Best Picture nomination and a screenwriting nomination for Logan, something Muschietti does not) and Swamp Thing can be done with a very modest budget.  Also it seems the project was put on the slate specifically for him. 

Yeah, i don’t think he loses it and i think it’s likelier to happen than BATB - but the optics of letting one June mega bomb director stay while letting the other one go feels strange. I still think both of them keep their projects at the end of the day, even if BATB sounds like a bomb waiting to go off

3 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Some Christian thing starring QAnon supporter Jim Caviezel. It's apparently already made $7.2 million in presales, because America is terrible and bad.

It's not some Christian thing, it's about child trafficking, human trafficking also. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eric Jones said:

Oh. Well Jim Caviezel still sucks :sick:

No he doesn't. Why would you say that?

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, DAR said:

What’s Sound of Freedom?

It was an indie film made in 2018 by a Mexican producer (José Eduardo Verástegui Córdoba) and director (Alejandro Monteverde) with Jim Caviezel and Mira Sorvino starring and with a plot about child trafficking.   In 2018, it was picked up by 21st century fox to distribute.  However, when Disney bought Fox, they shelved it and the indie directors tried to get it back.  Eventually, in March 2023, Angel Studios acquired the worldwide distribution rights for the movie.  They decided to release the secular movie in the same way they've released their more Christian flavored ones, and that seems to have been a good call, looking at presales.  

So, it's a 5 year shelved limited movie that is taking off...which never happens, and thus why I've been following it.  It's kinda fascinating how high it can go with its messed up pedigree for release.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, i don’t think he loses it and i think it’s likelier to happen than BATB - but the optics of letting one June mega bomb director stay while letting the other one go feels strange. I still think both of them keep their projects at the end of the day, even if BATB sounds like a bomb waiting to go off

One director has had oscar-nominated films and has had a 20 year career of continous critical or box office succeses. That director is getting a movie that'll be 50-75 million dollars budget at most on an horror flick that'll be an entirely different beast from what Indiana Jones was.

The other one is one whose last film before The Flash was IT Chapter 2, and that one would be losing a 200 million BATMAN movie after making a 200 million dollar mega-flop that had Batman in all the marketing. 

The optics aren't weird at all. It's more than obvious for anybody why one would go and the other one wouldn't.  Mangold, who has shown to be more reliable than not, is keeping a project that's very low-risk on an IP no one cares too much about, while Muschietti, who at best has been shown to be 50/50 would be kicked out of a project that's extremely high-risk with WBD's most valuable IP. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

He wasn't wrong to be honest. Just POV was different for different users and timings was way too early. Won't have cause harm if he tweet around late legs.

Didn't he say TLM was going to get a sequel because blacks got it so good?

• Like 1

On the subject of SW and TLJ… I knew immediately the massive damage that movie would do (even though at the time you would have been told by many online that audiences “loved” it and only toxic trolls didnt). 6 years later has there ever truly been a blockbuster that left such a negative and rippling impact on a franchise, even so many media iterations later?

The thing about TLJ is it backed SW into a corner. People talk about “oh, well a lot of the damage is because ROS sucked so hard after TLJ too”, but ROS only sucked so hard BECAUSE of TLJ in the first place. There was absolutely nowhere to go from there, it felt like the ultimate troll move from Johnson and the real reason so many of us were so upset with the film.

Didn’t help either that RJ was a total instigator following that movie’s release and fanned a bazillion flame wars by refusing to acknowledge people’s legitimate issues and making it all a “toxic losers on the Internet” thing. Which was a very small vocal minority of the huge majority who hated several choices the movie made for the franchise for very valid reasons. And I will never really get over that movie for the way it made SW lose all its magic for me and just feel not fun anymore. It truly has never been any fun to discuss or be a fan of since then and it sucks. 

• Like 2