Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Did anyone watch the Willow show and can confirm its actual existence? Ditto that National Treasure show that also came and went with no one caring on Disney+.

I did watch Willow.  It was fine.    Good background noise.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Willow has always been in the ground. It's impressive that they dug it up and then run it even deeper into the ground. :hahaha:

Like seriously willow  was a flop to begin with . Not sure when anyone asked for a continuation (especially without  Val kilmer)

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

Mangold is a middle aged white guy.  He’ll be fine 👀

Gore Verbinski also was one. Look at his career now after The Lone Ranger.

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

don't think he is entirely to blame for DoD but he will probably be treated like the scapegoat for Indy 5 and lose his SW film

That'd be very dumb. Star Wars much more flexible on tone and style and he can match it to what he does well.

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The sheer amount of filmmakers who will never be able to get another theatrical release off the ground ever again will be insane after this summer. Hollywood might be needing some expansions and renovations for their director's jail soon.

Is director’s jail really a thing anymore?

23 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

I know your overall point is right, but the smartass side of me can't help but mention Top Gun: Maverick was just a year ago.

And yet, look at the age skew for it - was 10-15 years older and so later than it should have been (and one of the few 1980s IPs that hadn’t been sequeled and/or rebooted) 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Coolio said in the DOD thread that Indy without Spielberg is as crazy as Indy without Ford, and he had a real point. I still think Ford is the most irreplaceable element (never recast this part) but every action scene misses the insane skills of Steven.

Yes he had a point. But it is not just about the action per se. It’s the creativity and heart that Spielberg injects in almost every frame that is missing here. It is a shame especially because the concept/McMuffin behind the whole film is pretty solid…

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, screambaby said:

295-330  doest it matter?

My point is, a lot of people are questioning why studios are making the drop so soft today. I'm just saying with the holiday in Canada they can be traditionally anywhere between 4 and 7% softer than usual.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Well he did do a smaller budget horror movie after that, but that movie flopped too

Yeah but my point is that you can't expect to make a 200-300 million dollar bomb and still get that sort of budget ever again.  The prospect of Mangold or Muschietti never getting a theatrical release again is ridiculous; but the prospect of them never getting that sort of budget again is not. 

Mangold’s dylan will be big, esp for Chalamet, but after that I think Swamp Thing’s a lot more of a surefire bet than his Star Wars film in terms of getting off the ground. Especially since Gunn green-lit it for Mangold specifically. I do wonder what it means for the DCU if 2 of the 3 confirmed directors so far had the 2 biggest bombs of 2023

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That'd be very dumb. Star Wars much more flexible on tone and style and he can match it to what he does well.

This is what happens every time though. A director gets attached to a Star Wars movie, a director has a critical/commercial bomb, then the Star Wars project is canceled forever. At this rate, you might as well give up and never make another Star Wars movie again. It’s just too cursed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 21C said:

Yeah but my point is that you can't expect to make a 200-300 million dollar bomb and still get that sort of budget ever again.  The prospect of Mangold or Muschietti never getting a theatrical release again is ridiculous; but the prospect of them never getting that sort of budget again is not. 

Mangold did do a pretty bangup job with his Wolverine movies, so I think it's not impossible he gets a franchise gig again if he makes a few more lower budget hits, but replacing Spielberg is a fool's errand whoever does it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

Idk, I can’t see him making swamp thing for under $100m so if that happens - and it seems a lot more likely than his star wars film tbf - he’s still getting big movies. It also helps that they’ve both had a run of hits before now (Logan/Fvf and It/It2)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Idk, I can’t see him making swamp thing for under $100m so if that happens - and it seems a lot more likely than his star wars film tbf - he’s still getting big movies. It also helps that they’ve both had a run of hits before now (Logan/Fvf and It/It2)

He wants his Swamp Thing to be 'Gothic horror' so I'd think he's aiming for a budget MUCH lower than 100M. 

It's probably the right call too. Rebuild cred with lower budget CBMs (like he did with Logan) before getting back to the tentpole fare.