baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

56% is a below average drop for a film that opened with such meh numbers and had no tentpole competition take away its PLF screens on its 2nd weekend unlike most other films this summer. 

In the summer off an inflated Sunday (-3%) due to an elongated 4th of July w/e?  The opening was bad, the 2nd w/e drop was better than average.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Indy 4 dropped 54% second weekend. Indy 5 has a worse drop despite having a better Cinemascore. Meh. It needed a better hold this weekend with MI and Oppenheimer coming.

Indy 4 opened on a Thur with $25m not counted toward the w/e or the next w/e drop.    If you just subtracted $7.2m in previews for Indy 5 the 2nd w/e drop would be 50% (from an inflated holiday w/e).  It needed a better opening.

• Like 2

「野中くん発 ジブリだより」2023年7月号

https://www.ghibli.jp/info/013753/

まっさらな状態で映画を観て欲しいという思いから、今回、宣伝をほぼせず、情報もほとんど出さないできました。皆様、「君たちはどう生きるか」を、ぜひ劇場でご覧下さい。

Because I want people to watch the movie in a brand new state, I have done almost no publicity this time, and I have been able to release almost no information. Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a look at "How Do You Live?" at the theater.

— Hayao Miyazaki (10 July, 2023)

F0-Fw-Ov-Ia-UAM-2bb.jpg

44 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

「野中くん発 ジブリだより」2023年7月号

https://www.ghibli.jp/info/013753/

まっさらな状態で映画を観て欲しいという思いから、今回、宣伝をほぼせず、情報もほとんど出さないできました。皆様、「君たちはどう生きるか」を、ぜひ劇場でご覧下さい。

Because I want people to watch the movie in a brand new state, I have done almost no publicity this time, and I have been able to release almost no information. Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a look at "How Do You Live?" at the theater.

— Hayao Miyazaki (10 July, 2023)

F0-Fw-Ov-Ia-UAM-2bb.jpg

When is the global release

2 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

When is the global release

Nothing confirmed but I wouldn't be shocked if it's by the end of the year. GKids is going to want it out to compete for the Oscars.

13 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Nothing confirmed but I wouldn't be shocked if it's by the end of the year. GKids is going to want it out to compete for the Oscars.

Or will they push it to just after the deadline so it's basically guaranteed the Oscar next season since Beyond the Spider-verse is 100% getting delayed🤔

Edited by Bobzaruni

Just now, Bobzaruni said:

Or will they push it to just after the deadline so it's basically guaranteed the Oscar next season since Beyond the Spider-verse is 100% getting delayed 🤔

Unless Japan chooses it as their International Feature selection which is always a possibility.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

you would think a Film critic would know how the box office works 

Yeah, but at the same time people calling it the biggest flop of all time are over the top, too. In the end, this thing will gross over 1X budget that while awful, it ain't Cutthroat Island levels of floppage by a long shot.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

It's Miyazaki Final Film. Production started in 2017. I still remember when Suzuki told that the pace was 1 min per month (12 min/year) 

An Oscar is must needed win for "How Do You Live?" This work gonna be amazing given with the time allocated in production and secrecy maintained for no leaks in plot or guess-mark.

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

It's Miyazaki Final Film. Production started in 2017. I still remember when Suzuki told that the pace was 1 min per month (12 min/year) 

An Oscar is must needed win for "How Do You Live?" This work gonna be amazing given with the time allocated in production and secrecy maintained for no leaks in plot or guess-mark.

It's probably not happening but imagine how insane it would be if Miyazaki got a Best Director nomination. Would be the first animated film to do so and this would likely be the final chance for that to happen.

9 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Yeah, but at the same time people calling it the biggest flop of all time are over the top, too. In the end, this thing will gross over 1X budget that while awful, it ain't Cutthroat Island levels of floppage by a long shot.

So did John Carter, which is considered to be the biggest Box Office bomb of all time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

So did John Carter, which is considered to be the biggest Box Office bomb of all time.

Which imho is also incorrect. Stuff like Cutthroat Island and 13th Warrior grossed much less %-wise on huge budgets for the era (I think Cutthroat Island adjusts to something like 40m WW gross on a 200 million budget).

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It's probably not happening but imagine how insane it would be if Miyazaki got a Best Director nomination. Would be the first animated film to do so and this would likely be the final chance for that to happen.

I actually think it could happen with the proper campaign and critical support... but everything about this rollout strategy has been strange!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I actually think it could happen with the proper campaign and critical support... but everything about this rollout strategy has been strange!

Would be awesome for sure. Would also open the doors for animation directors to actually get director noms which is something that should be happening more often (Andrew Stanton should have been nominated for Wall-E).

9 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Would be awesome for sure. Would also open the doors for animation directors to actually get director noms which is something that should be happening more often (Andrew Stanton should have been nominated for Wall-E).

Yeah, one of the beautiful things of animation is that it gives directors 100% control over the frame. I wish it received more attention as an expression of film language. 

Miyazaki's films are better directed than many that got best director nods at the time, imho.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

you would think a Film critic would know how the box office works 

Maybe they shouldn’t as the way as ‘we’ do or maybe they kinda have a point? This isn’t Indiana Jones setting up the new DC Universe, a multiverse Marvel film or the latest Batman reboot. It’s Indiana Jones true last film with Harrison Ford as the lead, and it’s enjoying quite some good WOM from what I gathered on social media. 

Sometimes I feel like we get so caught up patting ourselves on the back about how much we understand box office over the average folk and the truth is that we know so little. I miss @kowhite posts giving us perspective to stuff lately, no idea why they don’t post here anymore.