Box Office Theory Forum's Top 100 Warner Bros. Movies

The Exorcist

1161 points, 19 lists

"The Power of Christ compels you!"

MV5BYWFlZGY2NDktY2ZjOS00ZWNkLTg0ZDAtZDY4

Box Office: 441.3M

Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Metacritic: 82

Awards: 2 Academy Awards and 8 nominations, 4 Golden Globe Awards and 3 nominations

Its Legacy: The former highest-grossing R-rated movie and highest-grossing horror movie ever made. The film that legitimized and prestigified the horror movie. #3 on AFI's Top 100 Thrills and #9 on AFI's Top 100 Villains. Referenced, homaged, and parodied countlessly in media, from Saturday Night Live to Ghostbusters. Sparked the modern horror movie franchise. Spawned way too many sequels and TV shows to count. A favorite and influence of Martin Scorsese, Robert Eggers, Stanley Kubrick, and David Fincher. Considered the greatest movie ever made by BBC film critic Mark Kermode. Caused audiences to faint and vomit. Caused the beginning of the end of Blaxploitation movies. Gave Ellen Burstyn a paycheck.

Commentary: This entry sadly has an undercurrent of sadness to it now. William Friedkin, the director of this and countless other classics, passed away exactly one week ago. So it may be a little hard to really talk about arguably his greatest, most iconic work ever. But I suppose I can try it.

Similar to many great all-time classics, The Exorcist wasn’t changed by the industry. Rather, the industry was changed by The Exorcist. Coming out to mixed reviews and massive controversy, the hype for The Exorcist came from just how terrifying and repulsive the film was to modern audiences. Audiences had never seen something so terrifying, so visceral, so nasty in all their lives. The cerebral angiography in particular was so gruesome to many that people fainted or vomited while watching the movie. That’s something you don’t typically hear from even the scariest horror releases.

Moral panics ensued, drama over children sneaking into the movie was all over the press, the Catholic Church denounced it as blasphemous and Satanic. It was pure pandemonium. And sure enough, the entire horror genre changed overnight, as The Exorcist is oft-considered 2001 for the horror genre. What was considered schlocky nonsense could in fact boast incredible, jaw-dropping, thought-provoking features. Movies like these could easily thrive on big budgets and major set pieces. They can have emotionally stirring sequences, be contemplative, inspire and enrapture audiences, and make tons of money in the process.

The Exorcist is a film that, if you are a horror fan, you are obligated to at least respect for a historical perspective. And it’s all thanks to Friedkin’s deliberate pacing, gorgeous cinematography, and compelling storyline about a mother who just wants the devil beaten out of her daughter. It has been a source for inspiration for just about every horror movie released in the last 50 years, is a major reason why films like The Conjuring and studios like Blumhouse are thriving the way they are now, and will continue to be a favorite around Halloween, no matter how many god awful sequels and prequels get made. Including that likely god awful Exorcist legacyquel coming out two months from now.

William Friedkin, you made a masterpiece and you changed everything for the greater good of all horror and cinema fans forever. May you rest in peace.

• Like 15

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

1203 points, 20 lists

"The ones that love us never really leave us. And you can always find them in here."

MV5BMTY4NTIwODg0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc0

Box Office: 797.7M

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Metacritic: 82

Awards: 2 Academy Award nominations, 1 BAFTA Award and 4 nominations, 1 Grammy Award nomination, 9 Saturn Award nominations,

Its Legacy: The highest-rated Harry Potter movie ever. The lowest-grossing Harry Potter movie ever. The first Harry Potter film to use IMAX technology. The first film to change the tone and style of Potter for good. The debut of Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. Gave Gary Oldman a paycheck.

Commentary: Finally, we’re done with Harry Potter. And we’re ending things off with a rare case where a franchise brought along a famed auteur to make one of their silly toy commercials. And sure enough, this has become the fan favorite, the best in the series, for many Potter fans. It was the first time fan-favorite character Sirius Black joined the series, the first time we saw Michael Gambon take on the role of Dumbledore and the first time we saw Potter’s darker side.

With heavy shadows, gloomier atmosphere, and a harsher story, this was when we really saw the true genius of Potter as a franchise. This was a series that grew up with its audience. Every year or two, a new one comes out, each one progressively becoming more mature and adult in its themes and style and execution, as if we are following a group of adolescents actually maturing and developing. Dealing with trauma, handling your own destiny, fighting against authority. All of this would become a lot more deft and discussed in Azkaban and define the series going forward.

This all wouldn’t have happened if Cuaron didn’t craft something so strong and memorable, but his influence is still felt within almost all the future Potter installments, for better or for worse. And it’s no wonder that this is considered the crown jewel by the Potter fans here on BOT.

Donate to the Transgender Law Center. Remember, trans rights are human rights. https://transgenderlawcenter.org/

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Turtle said:

The Fugitive

1148 points, 16 lists

"I didn't kill my wife!"

MV5BMmM4ODRlZDUtMDhkNS00OTI0LTgxZTMtZmYz

Box Office: 368.9M

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

Metacritic: 87

Awards: 1 Academy Award and 6 nominations, 1 BAFTA Award and 3 nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award and 3 nominations, 2 MTV Movie Awards and 2 nominations

Its Legacy: The definitive adaptation of The Fugitive franchise. Earned the biggest August opening weekend in history. Was #1 for six weeks in a row. The first Hollywood film to release in China since First Blood in 1985. #33 on AFI's Top 100 Thrills. Remade twice in India. Earned a spin-off, U.S. Marshals, in 1998. Gave Andreas Katsulas a paycheck.

Commentary: It’s a premise that, frankly, is impossible to mess up. A man convicted of a crime he didn’t actually commit, trying to clear his name and find out who actually murdered his wife, while avoiding the feds, is an immediately compelling premise that is hard to mess up. All you need is a good director who can add style to the storyline and great actors to tie everything up in a good bow. And when you have a great action director like Andrew Davis of Under Siege fame, and your lead actors are the icons Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford...I mean, that’s how you get to #23 on this list.

It’s a fast-paced thrill ride right from the beginning of the film’s giant bus crash and the epic monologue of Jones’ menacing Deputy U.S. Marshal Sam Gerard. And from then on, the movie doesn’t stop, with a new action setpiece and chase scene always around the corner. Still, the film knows how to use its assets wisely. Ford has always been a great everyman protagonist, so it’s easy to empathize with his plight right away. Helps also we know he’s totally innocent.

Then of course there’s Sam Gerard who TLJ does incredible work for and steals the show whenever he’s on screen. This sure enough led to him getting his own spin-off movie in 1998 with Wesley Snipes and Robert Downey Jr. I’m pretty sure this is the first time many of you even knew that was a thing that happened. Still, he does awesome work.

The Fugitive would very quickly break box office records, with the biggest opening and gross for an August movie until The Sixth Sense, and is still a favorite. And speaking of, don’t forget to vote for it in @Cap's 30 for 30 1993 retrospective.

Shocked this low

• Like 2

So here's a few interesting tidbits about The Fugitive:

Harrison Ford was really intrigued with the project but only signed on when they agreed to let him rewrite his character a little bit. He felt it wasn't flushed out enough and given the fact that he wasn't going to have a ton of dialogue, he tweaked it over a few weeks and Andrew Davis liked what he did and the final result is the character we have in the movie.

Tommy Lee Jones improvised a few lines in the movie, the most famous being when he meets up with Dr Kimball in the sewers and Kimball says I didn't kill my wife, and Tommy Lee Jones improvised, I don't care. Similarly to when Roy Scheider improvised you're going to need a bigger boat in jaws, those lines have become iconic now.

The Saint Patrick's Day parade was done basically gorilla style filmmaking. They filmed in a real parade and with Harrison Ford walking through the crowd you can actually see some people staring at him. Some people didn't know what was going on and recognize Harrison Ford but didn't approach him even though they were starstruck.

In a weird bit of casting news, Alec Baldwin was originally cast briefly as Dr Richard kimble. Things didn't work out and then Harrison Ford came on board. Harrison Ford also took over Alec Baldwin's role as Dr Jack Ryan in the Jack Ryan movies. Alec Baldwin of course played Jack Ryan in The Hunt for Red October and then wanted more money for Patriots games and then Harrison Ford was brought in.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

So here's a few interesting tidbits about The Fugitive:

Tommy Lee Jones improvised a few lines in the movie, the most famous being when he meets up with Dr Kimball in the sewers and Kimball says I didn't kill my wife, and Tommy Lee Jones improvised, I don't care. Similarly to when Roy Scheider improvised you're going to need a bigger boat in jaws, those lines have become iconic now.

This is false. He improvised a bunch of stuff but the most famous line isn't one of them

From this great oral history published last month

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/the-fugitive-movie-oral-history-cast-director-1234789685/

Jeb Stuart: I was on set that day. Tommy did not want to say “I don’t care.” But he needed to tell the audience he does not care if the guy’s innocent or guilty. It was freezing cold. The water’s running through. Harrison had been such a trooper. He’s standing there in this opening, which has a jump of about four feet, to a mattress. We’re all freezing. And Tommy keeps saying, “No, I don’t like that line. It doesn’t work.” And we had, “I don’t care” in the script, but he kept trying others. And so after a while I just said, “Why don’t you just try, ‘I don’t care?'” And once he did it, Andy Davis said, “That’s it. Wrap.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pan's Labyrinth

1216 points, 18 lists

"I am the mountain, the forest and the earth. I am...a faun. Your most humble servant, Your Highness."

MV5BYzFjMThiMGItOWRlMC00MDI4LThmOGUtYTNl

Box Office: 83.9M

Rotten Tomatoes: 95%

Metacritic: 98

Awards: 3 Academy Awards and 3 nominations, 3 BAFTA Awards and 5 nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 7 Goya Awards and 6 nominations, 7 Ariel Awards and 4 nominations

Its Legacy: Guillermo del Toro's magnum opus. The highest-rated 2000s movie on Metacritic. Considered one of the greatest fantasy movies and movies in general. The sixth-highest grossing foreign language movie in the United States. The spiritual succcessor to 2001's The Devil's Backbone. Gave Doug Jones a paycheck.

Commentary: Easily Guillermo del Toro’s most iconic film. A film that is a fantastical cacophony of wonder and terror, as well as a powerful parable to how children deal with the actual hardships adults force upon them. A lonely girl whose mother is set to die and war-crazed stepfather is obsessed with taking down rebels...it makes sense she would want to be far away, in her own fantasy world. A world that, frankly, we don’t know is real or not.

Serving as a more adult-oriented take on Alice in Wonderland or Narnia, this is all of GDT’s best attributes in one package. Incredible production design, gorgeous visual effects, and powerful storytelling, all wrapped in a package that could have only come from a man with a limitless imagination.

For many, this is del Toro’s peak. His best, most defining work. What he will always be famous for. And despite recent Oscar wins for The Shape of Water and Pinocchio, that does feel like the case. At the very least, it’s a shining example of one of the best directors working today crafting one of the best films of the century. One that he can match, but frankly never top.

• Like 12
  • Heart 1

Batman Begins

1246 points, 25 lists

"Does it come in black?"

MV5BOTY4YjI2N2MtYmFlMC00ZjcyLTg3YjEtMDQy

Box Office: 373.7M

Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Metacritic: 70

Awards: 1 Academy Award nomination, 3 BAFTA Award nominations, 3 Saturn Awards and 6 nominations, 1 MTV Movie Award and 2 nominations

Its Legacy: Saved the Batman movie franchise. The blueprint for every reboot ever made ever. Influenced the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Daniel Craig's James Bond, the Planet of the Apes reboot series, etc. The second-highest grossing Batman movie ever at the time. Kickstarted the iconic Dark Knight trilogy. Gave Katie Holmes a paycheck.

Commentary: Before Heath Ledger, we had Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson. And boy oh boy, what a revelation this movie was. Dropping 8 years after the infamous misfire of Batman and Robin, this promised to be a total reinvention of everything we knew about Batman. It was grounded, it was realistic, it was serious. Yet it also promised high-octane action and, for the first time, a greater emphasis on Bruce Wayne as a character and figure.

Christain Bale got to play the iconic Caped Crusader and really made it his own, seamlessly combining the suave billionaire playboy with the hardened, stone-cold hero we all know and love. We all make fun of his silly Batman voice, but he’s always been a main part of these movies’ appeal and Papa Nolan smartly made him the focus before the bad guys took over in the sequels.

And speaking of, what a cliffhanger. That little tease, that the Joker was going to fuck shit up, got everybody buzzing. Whether it be the lucky ducks who saw it on the big screen or the millions more who watched it on DVD. That alone probably helped The Dark Knight be the phenomenon that it was...alongside Batman Begins being a very good movie I suppose.

But is this highest Batman movie on the coun--okay, no it isn’t. But how close are to Dark Knight? Who knowssssssssssssssss??????????????????????

• Like 8

Malcolm X

1248 points, 19 lists

"That's too much power for one man to have."

MV5BZDkzOTFmMTUtMmI2OS00MDE4LTg5YTUtODMw

Box Office: 73M

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

Metacritic: 72

Awards: 2 Academy Award nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 1 MTV Movie Award and 1 nomination, 1 MTV Video Music Award nomination, 4 NAACP Image Awards and 1 nomination

Its Legacy: Gave the defining portrait of a legendary activist. The first Hollywood film to be shot in Mecca ever. Gave tons of Black interviewers and journalists a chance to get their foot in the door. One of Spike Lee's highest-rated and grossing films ever. The second of four collaborations between Lee and Denzel Washington. Features cameos of Bobby Seale, Al Sharpton, and Nelson Mandela. Joined the National Film Registry in 2010. Gave Delroy Lindo a paycheck.

Commentary: Biopics are a lot harder to nail down than a lot of people give credit for. Detailing the accomplishments of one person through just one movie is difficult. Especially when you have to detail Malcolm X, a man who throughout his 39 years on this Earth had worn a lot of hats. An activist for civil rights, an activist for Islam, an activist for Black empowerment, an activist for Black separatism. A figure that was derided by white folks, highly controversial for statements that frankly have aged like wine, and, frankly, had changed his viewpoints constantly over his life.

People evolve, think differently, learn new information, and don’t become the same person that they once were even a couple years ago. So trying to capture all of that in one movie, especially trying to show the real version of a figure that most had vilified as evil (he isn’t), is a herculean task. Yet through it all, the legendary Spike Lee, with the help of financial backing by every major Black figure in Hollywood, gave us the definitive biography of Malcolm (well, if you ignore the Alex Hayley novel it was based on). And what a fucking biography.

No stone was left unturned in Malcolm’s life, with every aspect of him dissected and analyzed. From his emotions to how the public perceived him to how his contributions changed everything for millions of Americans and Muslims. And it’s done through snappy editing, gorgeous cinematography, a rollicking tone and atmosphere, and so much pop and excitement and style in every frame that the whole 201-minute feature flys by without anybody even noticing.

It’s a film that teaches us that Malcolm wasn’t one thing. He wasn’t set in his ways, and he frankly had so many more stories to tell before he was wrongfully assassinated. Some of us already knew that, but for others (you know, the whites), this was the first time they ever saw a public portrayal of Malcolm that actually gave the truth. And while WB did try to stifle it by giving it a lower budget and try to take over control (corporations are not your friend), they still put it out for the world to see.

And what we have here is one of Denzel’s best performances in one of my, and many others, favorite movies of all time. The kind of film I wish existed more in this world. But I suppose that having fewer movies like this means it’s extra special.

• Like 13
  • Heart 1

I think Denzel should have won best actor for malcolm X.  I think Al Pacino was just basically given a lifetime achievement  award.... a makeup win so to speak. There were many other films Al I should have one for. So the academy decided to give him the win for scent of a woman. 

Pacino was great in that movie but Denzel was on another level in my opinion.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think Denzel should have won best actor for malcolm X.  I think Al Pacino was just basically given a lifetime achievement  award.... a makeup win so to speak. There were many other films Al I should have one for. So the academy decided to give him the win for scent of a woman. 

Denzel was pretty awesome in Malcolm and could've definitely been a worthy winner, but at the end of the day, considering Denzel ended up winning twice anyway (and counting, who knows, man might have another one in him), I'd say we got the better outcome with Pacino getting one in the end

7 hours ago, baumer said:

As Denzel said, Pacino should have won for Godfather II, Serpico and/or Dog Day Afternoon (what a run he had) where twice he lost to older actors getting their late due - in particular Jack Lemmon.   At least Denzel didn't have to wait as long to get his.  My choice would have been RDJ for Chaplin but it was close and a stacked category. 

Damn just a quick look through the Oscar races in the 40s -70s seeing who Pacino and Lemmon lost to and so many brilliant worthy performances.  Lemmon lost in 1960 for The Apartment and it was to Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry, against Olivier for The Entertainer, Spencer Tracy for Inherit The Wind.  Wow.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, baumer said:

For my money it’s the best acting performance ever.

• Like 1

Gravity

1259 points, 22 lists

"You just point the damned thing at Earth. It's not rocket science."

MV5BNjE5MzYwMzYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk4

Box Office: 723.2M

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

Metacritic: 96

Awards: 7 Academy Awards and 3 nominations, 6 BAFTA Awards and 5 nominations, 7 Critics Choice Awards and 3 nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award and 3 nominations, 1 Grammy Award nomination

Its Legacy: The highest-grossing film of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney's careers. The highest-grossing October release until Joker. The eighth most profitable movie of 2013. Part of a banner year for women in blockbusters. Praised by Daddy Cameron. Gave Ed Harris a paycheck.

Commentary: Where's John Mayer when you need him?

Okay, I’m being silly. The actual movie. What a masterclass of visuals and storyline. Alfonso Cuaron uses VFX wizardry to really make it feel like we are in outer space, in the precarious situation Bullock and Clooney are in. If the film didn’t look as good as it did, we would not be as stressed or terrified for our heroes like we are here.

And yeah, as a story, this is the best survival tale you can possibly have. There is nothing more terrifying and scary than being in outer space. A never-ending place with no air, no gravity, no food, no nothing. One wrong mistake, and you are screwed. This does amazing work putting so much tension and fear into every single frame, while also making sure Bullock’s character is a memorable and endearing one, making it easier for us to empathize...although I guess just being trapped in outer space is more than enough.

The film would of course become a gargantuan success. The kind of success story that Hollywood should cultivate and learn from more. This wasn’t a film that relied on a nostalgic brand or shared universe to get people in. And this is a film that is designed to not have any sequels. Yet people came because it was a great concept executed by an amazing filmmaker, and everybody was rewarded for it. I hope one day we can get more movies like Gravity some day. I really, truly do.

• Like 10
  • ...wtf 1

Superman

1268 points, 25 lists

"Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?"

MV5BMzA0YWMwMTUtMTVhNC00NjRkLWE2ZTgtOWEz

Box Office: 723.2M

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

Metacritic: 96

Awards: 7 Academy Awards and 3 nominations, 6 BAFTA Awards and 5 nominations, 7 Critics Choice Awards and 3 nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award and 3 nominations, 1 Grammy Award nomination

Its Legacy: The most expensive ever made at that time. Broke ground in visual effects and science fiction storytelling. The beginning of the modern superhero movie. Made Christopher Reeve a household name. The former sixth highest-grossing film of all time. The most successful Warner Bros. movie ever made at the time. Created four sequels and a reboot. Helped revitalize the sci-fi genre alongside Star Wars and Close Encounters. #26 on AFI's Top 100 Heroes. #174 on Empire's Top 500 Movies. The main reason the MCU exists and DC movies still get made. Gave Ned Beatty a paycheck.

Commentary: The one that started it all. It wasn’t the first superhero movie technically, but in our modern era where Marvel and DC dominate the film conversation, this is the first film in our hearts. And looking back, it’s easy to see why this film laid the template for the biggest genre out today. And also looking back, it’s insane that very, very few films in that genre stack to a masterpiece like this.

Of course the film’s incredible visual effects were the big selling point, as audiences saw a man fly and do incredible feats that seemed impossible. Alongside the phenomenal casting (Christopher Reeve is the best Superman, go argue with a wall) and incredible John Williams score, it only further cemented this film as something special. But it was Richard Donner who really made this come together, as he and Tom Mankiewicz really understood not just why Superman is great, but why superheroes are such an amazing concept.

Superman isn’t just a guy with amazing powers. He isn’t somebody we can never be. Rather, Superman is a symbol of who we should be. Not because of his strength or abilities. But because of his heart and kindness. This is a man who was taught about the values and importance of bravery, hard work, determination, and humility from his birth and adoptive father. This is a man who does heroics not for fame, but because it’s the right thing to do. It’s a man who will do anything to protect people, a planet he isn’t even from, out of the goodness of his own heart. We can all learn something from this movie.

It’s one of the rare movies that makes me tear up every time I watch it and while the other Superman films since then have been...flawed to say the least, if James Gunn can capture at least a tiny bit of that Donner magic in 2025, it’ll be the greatest gift in the world to me.

Your MCU/DCEU fave could never.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 hours ago, DAR said:

For my money it’s the best acting performance ever.

I've not got time for this today so I can't justify this with the long post I'd like. Which is probably for the better for everyone as I'll likely still ramble on at unnecessary length to a one-line provocation.

But I'm firmly in the camp that says biopic performances are rarely, if never, worthy of awards. 

Replicating the behaviour of an established person simply isn't in the same category of collaborating with a writer to make something original.

There are exceptions: expressionism-style biopics where replication of behaviour isn't the point (eg The Favourite) and hidden-figures style stories where generally the story is what's replicated, not the person (eg Dallas Buyer's Club) are fine. But in general biopics are a wildly overlavished and overpraised genre, that mostly gets the accolades it does because it's easy for non-specialists to decided whether an actor is doing 'good' acting or not because it's like that person. And because they have the sense of being 'worthy' and have a misguided sense of being somehow on a higher plain of art than other genres since the stories of biopics often relate to those of important people.

Until last year, half of the Best Actor and Actress Oscars since 2000 had gone to Biopics. Including two the previous year in Smith and Chastain that were just preposterously Oscar-pandering bait.

Obviously the Malik Oscar was the apotheosis of this (actually I'd argue Zellweger was, but Malik's is more obvious) where quite literally let's be honest Freddie Mercury won an Oscar, along with the costume and wardrobe departments. But the trend has largely been allowed to go wild unfettered because so many of the Biopic awards have gone to widely-accepted greats: Oldman, Seymour Hoffman, Streep, Blanchett, Bullock, Brody, Day Lewis, Mirren. It's hard to argue against these actors but they all got Oscars for performances that were in none of their personal top 10 (heck, Streep's Thatcher impression is probably not even in her Top 25).

I'm not saying Malcolm X isn't a very good film and Washington isn't good in it. It is and he is. But the inherent "Worthiness" of the subject matter shouldn't - as is what happens with Oscars an Biopics - cloud the fact that the acting performance is easier, not harder, than something like Man on Fire.

Washington is IMO ironically one of the very few who got his Oscar for the right film, rather than the wrong one. Training Day is his best performance. I'd take Mo'Better Blues and John Q as his second and third, but there are lots of options.

Is this an irrationally long post for this? Yes. Do people care about this? No. 

But lordy something in me snapped three years ago when Same Rockwell (who is one of my favourite actors) got nominated for a freaking Oscar for giving LITERALLY A 10 MINUTE SNL GEORGE BUSH IMPRESSION. And it's never recovered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Judging someone's performance is completely subjective though at the same time. I personally think Denzel Washington's best performance was in the Siege. But I can completely understand why someone would think that his best performance was in training day or in Malcolm x because they were fantastic as well.