CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

23 minutes ago, harry713 said:

Who remembers the Limp Bizkit song from MI2 that used the theme? 🫠

That’s a damn good song, not gonna lie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not real bullish on anything in the holiday season except perhaps ironically the original animated movies. Elemental's legs have been a real shot in the arm for confidence as far as that is concerned, and I expect they're both going to have vigorous marketing campaigns.

I can't remember the last time an instalment with great reviews and an A Cinemascore coming off a beloved high watermark for a franchise both critically and financially and with its star also delivering another gigantic gigahit, underperform this severely relative to expectations

This just never happens. 

Edited by Algebra
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MightGuy said:

Infinity War and Endgame made everyone think anyone could do it.

Yeah but that’s Infinity War and Endgame not Infinity War Part One and Infinity War Part Two. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

DR's underperformance is baffling given that it is a high profile film which is exceptionally well received by both critics and audiences and is led by the biggest Hollywood star in the world coming off the beloved and biggest film of his career. The film is tremendously entertaining and its almost three hour runtime feels closer to a single hour. The spectacle of it is worth the price of admission, especially if you love a good, old-fashioned action movie.

I wonder if the specter of Barbenheimer is keeping moviegoers at home this weekend because people know they are heading to cinemas next weekend. You might think DR will develop some legs but it won't be for another week or two as it is losing all of its PLFs. Oppenheimer's non-IMAX showings seem pretty sparse and should catch any overflow that would normally opt for DR if people must see the film next weekend and will settle for non-IMAX. 

Perhaps it should have released during the second week of April when it would have had PLFs for three weekends and could have co-existed with TSMBM, even if TSMBM would have won their first weekend battle. 

I just hold on to the fact that every movie this summer with a A- cinema score or better has had legs. Elemental is at a  4 IM and Spiderverse and Guardians are both at 3. 

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

honestly why should Dune make 200m? Don’t see much evidence it had a huge pos theatrical  life and it’s another film that should appeal heavily to the older crowd who are not reliable moviegoers anymore 

Ranked as the third-highest DVD/Blu-Ray for 2022, only behind No Way Home and Dominion. That's pretty darn good for a franchise starter.

Plus its 18-34 audience was at 55%. By comparison with other 2021 movies, Eternals was 55%, Shang-Chi was 59%, Black Widow was 50%, Free Guy was 50%, F9 was 46%. Dune did just fine skewing towards younger moviegoers, and Denis was smart casting hip actors to get those youths invested.

• Like 7

I really think the best thing the studios should do to improve their box office returns is to totally abandon direct to streaming. Anything that gives the audience an out to wait a month or whatever is totally corrosive to the box office. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Dune 2 is most overpredicted of year. Shit HBO Max views, half of MK. Box office was mediocre and people use the HBO Max thing as a crutch - but then how do you explain why it did so shitty there? Trailer views are down and it is a long, dark movie appealing to white audiences.  It brings me no pleasure to report this. Frankly I think the 155 I put may be quite too high.

$400M with HBO max is not weak.

Just now, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Can an increased role for Zendaya, Florence Pugh and Austin Butler make Dune 2 bigger with women? I remember the OG was like 70% male. ☠️

I do genuinely think Zendaya’s bigger role and the addition of Austin Butler (baldness aside) will attract attention.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RthMav said:

MI7 I 2nd Jat's 14.5m

Trying to figure out if it can least hit 50 for the weekend. It would probably have to do at least 20 on saturday and  16 on sunday. The length shoulld make saturday the high water day for this. Will see. 

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Trying to figure out if it can least hit 50 for the weekend. It would probably have to do at least 20 on saturday and  16 on sunday. The length shoulld make saturday the high water day for this. Will see. 

I'm thinking it just barely gets there. I have faith.