CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 hour ago, Souther said:

Why is Tom Cruise not considered a huge box office star by so many on this forum and on r/boxoffice. I am from Bangladesh and I always believed that Cruise was one of the biggest stars in the world but there were folks on r/boxoffice who called me delusional and listed out the flops that Cruise has given in the last 20 years. They even consider films like Vanilla Sky, Days of Thunder and Minority Reports as flops, which I always considered "HIT" films. Is it true that he is not a huge star as the media treats him and he is on a similar level of stardom as someone like a Vin Diesel and Chris Evans

Everyone considers him to be the last big movie star. Even majority of r/boxoffice folks..what are you talking about?

And for all doom n gloom, MI7 is running 15% ahead of Fallout in like for like markets(barring China ofc) which shows the juice Cruise has to set new highs for a franchise running in its 28th year.

MI7 is gonna end up as summer's second biggest film and the year's 3rd biggest (unless Barbie or The Marvels or Aquaman go ballistic globally)...such a high B.O ranking hasn't been achieved by the MI franchise since MI2 in 2000

So, back from MI...it almost has the same problem as Sound of Freedom - enjoying staying in its scenes just too long.  I'd have made the same movie, and cropped it to 2 hour 30 min, with no loss.  

Of the family, I'm the only one to have seen all the MI movies (a few had seen 1-2 and some saw none), so hilariously, I gave it the lowest grade at B+/B.

Spouse, all 3 boys (family friend and my 2 youngest) and younger girl gave it an A-.

Oldest daughter gave it a B+.

All very happy, although all talking the implausibility of some scenes in the car - I mentioned the title says "Mission Impossible" so how plausible do you think some of this is gonna be:)...they said true!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

At some point people are going to realize Chris Pratt's star power is weirdly underrated. His choice to swap places with Chris Pine in terms of on screen persona sucks but he just keeps cranking out hits. Is Pratt's star power narrative a victim of Tomorrow War going to streaming?  

I like Chris Pratt but I wonder if he could really carry a movie like Tom Cruise or Leo.  His successful hits were all big IP's and for GotG I think the ensemble cast is the main appeal.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Souther said:

Charlie could be wrong though .. 

Nah. He was spot on all week with the numbers for MI

Anyway, moving on. This week is gonna be so chaotic. The numbers flying around for Barbenheimer are absolutely insane and i' d love them to come true

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Nah. He was spot on all week with the numbers for MI

Anyway, moving on. This week is gonna be so chaotic. The numbers flying around for Barbenheimer are absolutely insane and i' d love them to come true

finally your wish has come true. The film is a bonafide flop. However, it was quite sadistic on your end to wish that a film flops for reasons unknown. Hate boner for Tom Cruise is strong on this forum. 

Ugggh, a few peoples’ ‘analysis’ of this movie is making me tear my hair out. FFS, it’s made 15% over MI:Fallout in all markets ex-China.

How’s it flopping? Reading takes like Cruise’s career is packed…Tf are you all on about lmao

Edited by Algebra
  • Like 1

I hate to admit it, but Pratt does have a very strong box office track record overall over the last decade. Could come down more to smart role choices than draw power though. Mario was going to be just as huge with a nobody as Mario for example. 

2 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Ugggh, a few peoples’ ‘analysis’ of this movie is making me tear my hair out. FFS, it’s made 15% over MI:Fallout in all markets ex-China.

How’s it flopping? Reading takes like Cruise’s career is packed…Tf are you all on about lmao

in some markets it’s definitely underperforming. Domestic, China, Germany, Italy, and Spain come to mind. Think domestic is being hurt by Barbenheimer hype and Sound of Freedom taking away adult audiences (the weak marketing didn’t help). China I believe it faces competition from multiple local releases 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I like Chris Pratt but I wonder if he could really carry a movie like Tom Cruise or Leo.  His successful hits were all big IP's and for GotG I think the ensemble cast is the main appeal.

Which is what makes Tomorrow War a very potentially interesting missed test case. I'd modify GotG to "The Pratt-lead ensemble cast is the main appeal of GotG." It's not a solo star vehicle but in every film Gunn positions Pratt's front and center even if secondary character Groot was also a major breakout character of the first film.

52 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

What?

I forget who first made this observation, but Pratt's gone from the schlubby comedy-action guy to straight-ahead action star while Pine went from Kirk to emphasizing his comic relief skills in films like D&D (which didn't even feature him as a action-y leading man) and Spider-verse (edit: got my ITSV Peter Parkers confused). 

Obviously, the point is somewhat exaggerated and is more true for Pratt than Pine. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

18 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Which is what makes Tomorrow War a very potentially interesting missed test case. I'd modify GotG to "The Pratt-lead ensemble cast is the main appeal of GotG." It's not a solo star vehicle but in every film Gunn positions Pratt's front and center even if secondary character Groot was also a major breakout character of the first film.

I remember seeing somewhere on reddit that they considered a Starlord solo movie and I thought to myself...hmmm...I might not be so interested. But if you have a Groot and Rocket movie without Starlord I would watch it in a heartbeat.

• Like 3