CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

21 minutes ago, Maggie said:

MI 3 Inflation Adj: 186M , which Dead Reckoning will not achieve. It's a harsh drop for DR and i blame the schedule mostly

Why wouldn't MI 7 make over $186 M ? It will most likely make over $190 just like MI5. What with all the panic? This franchise usually got legs  from the older audience and this OW number is very normal. Nothing to worry about.

Edited by Mk2504

Mission Impossible adjusted (I’m lazy and using the-numbers with a 2022 atp of 10.45 but 2023 will probably come in ~10.85 in reality so you can kick these up like 3-4%):

MI 375M

MI2 366M

MI3 187M

MI4 276M

MI5 242M 

MI6 253M

MI7 190 (est)

Could be a nail biter with MI3 which likely will be ~193 or so.

Pretty consistent franchise, some drop off from first entries is normal and then stabilization

Edited by Elegiental
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

based  on the average ticket price from 2006 from NATO I think it adjusts a bit higher actually 

So Mi 3 costs $150 m to make back in 2006 so does that means it would cost over $250 M (production cost) in today?

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Considering MI3 had no PLF and MI7 gross OW is skewed high on PLF, I am skeptical on these adjusted numbers. 

numbers should be higher if we are using NATO’s ticket prices. MI1 and 2 would be over 400m today

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Uh no 

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

“The internet’s first stop for nerd culture, and by ‘nerd’ culture we mean ‘totally mainstream’ culture.”

It’s a normal mainstream notion, which is that when a film makes its box office more than itd budget, ‘it breaks even’. It’s incorrect, but we do get articles like this from time to time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s a normal mainstream notion, which is that when a film makes its box office more than itd budget, ‘it breaks even’. It’s incorrect, but we do get articles like this from time to time.

AI probably wrote it 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mk2504 said:

So Mi 3 costs $150 m to make back in 2006 so does that means it would cost over $250 M (production cost) in today?

150M in 2006 is ~225M in 2023 (for the general economy, not tickets specifically)

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea franchise best figures and 230m+ WW start is a disappointment for sure. It's not the films fault that some of the expectations were unrealistically high for a franchise that is delivering pretty much the same numbers the last 3 films.

Budget is also franchise best.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Budget is also franchise best.

I don't get this budget point.

They had to two options when Covid disrupted their filming:

1. Make the movie they always wanted to at a higher cost

2. Reduce production cost substantially and make a substandard movie and while managing to stay profitable for the short term, ensuring destruction of legacy and franchise goodwill and possibly even studio goodwill. (Remember MI is Paramount's biggest franchise ever)

By going with the second option, they will ensure that MI8 will get back on its prior entries' profitability track provided budgets are tightened to <$200m

Vincent D’Onofrio has waived in:

It’s very much from an actor standpoint, but I’d also argue that regardless how romanticized his view as an actor might be, thinking these films will just drop dead and not make any profit to Disney once it leaves the theaters is incredibly myopic. 

Films like Indy and MI7 even when they disappoint at the box office, still find a way to become profitable in the long run. From PVOD to TV film rights, never mind that it goes to their streaming platform’s portfolio.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Vincent D’Onofrio has waived in:

It’s very much from an actor standpoint, but I’d also argue that regardless how romanticized his view as an actor might be, thinking these films will just drop dead and not make any profit to Disney once it leaves the theaters is incredibly myopic. 

Films like Indy and MI7 even when they disappoint at the box office, still find a way to become profitable in the long run. From PVOD to TV film rights, never mind that it goes to their streaming platform’s portfolio.

not as much as they did when they’re on Disney+ four weeks after PVOD. 

Guardians just announced for August 2 on Disney+. I mean, why even buy it when you’ve got it for free in four weeks. It’s so ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Algebra said:

I don't get this budget point.

They had to two options when Covid disrupted their filming:

1. Make the movie they always wanted to at a higher cost

2. Reduce production cost substantially and make a substandard movie and while managing to stay profitable for the short term, ensuring destruction of legacy and franchise goodwill and possibly even studio goodwill. (Remember MI is Paramount's biggest franchise ever)

By going with the second option, they will ensure that MI8 will get back on its prior entries' profitability track provided budgets are tightened to <$200m

Good for MI8, but we're discussing about MI7

When MI8 will release, we'll discuss about that too.

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

not as much as they did when they’re on Disney+ four weeks after PVOD. 

Guardians just announced for August 2 on Disney+. I mean, why even buy it when you’ve got it for free in four weeks. It’s so ridiculous. 

Here is what some of you don’t seem to understand: Disney actually doesn’t want the PVOD money as much as the Disney+ subscription. Did you know that I literally cannot buy any Marvel Studios or Star Wars film in digital since Avengers: Endgame came out? And it’s not because I don’t have the money, Disney simply won’t allow the option of buying individual films of them here in Brazil. They want us focused on D+, but open tv still makes massive deals with Disney and all the other studios for the right to screen their films:

Avengers: Endgame will be screened the first time in open tv today here in Brazil, no cuts other than the credits. It’s the biggest tv station here and one of the biggest worldwide. You bet that this wasn’t cheap and Disney keeps getting money for these franchises. They don’t go to die once they are out of the theaters.

Edited by ZattMurdock

Also "Budget increased due to pandemic" 

Does it matter, how or why budget ballooned up. What matters is that for whatever reasons, Paramount had to spend 291 million on the movie, so now what should be seen is whether they make their money back or not.

What budget getting inflated duue to unavoidable circumstances like Pandemic does that is studios won't cancel the next movie or anything, so that's a safe zone because of a legitimate reason.

But that shouldn't stop people from discussing about the profit & loss aspect of the movie.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD