Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

19 minutes ago, excel1 said:

TDK was and is the GOAT run to follow.

I was lurking on the forums back then. TDK was the film that turned my casual interest in BO into an obsession.

I remember being in Berlin for a holiday that weekend staying in a crappy hostel. This was pre smartphones and abundant WiFi. I was broke af at the time but one of the friends I was traveling with had a Blackberry (a Blackberry!) from work, so I stole that to obsessively track the numbers that weekend. I remember going to a bar on sunday and could barely contain my excitement. My friends did NOT get it, sufficed to say.

Separately, Facebook (sorry Gen Z) reminded me that that trip was 15 years ago yesterday. 

Sweet memories 

Edited by solaris
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, it would have been a valid argument leading up to release. It was much harder to know at that time a SW film could turn out so divisive. 

Star Wars Phantom Menace still had a great run at the time, Titanic or no

As far as I can tell though

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm sure it's been said multiple times already but still, quite ironic that Barbie will more than likely end up with a sequel, fitting right in with all the other franchises now. Not a knock against it at all. It's just been perplexing to see people claim it's the beginning of a new era when it fits comfortably in the current one. 

Studios looking for sequels on successful stuff isn't even a "current era" thing; they've done this for ages.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I followed Spidey 1 in the newspaper lmfao 

Spidey 1 was the first one I remember tracking. Wish I was paying closer attention in 1997-1998 for Titanic. I was mainly annoyed at my junior high classmates who were making such a big deal about it. Lol

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Star Wars Phantom Menace still had a great run at the time, Titanic or no

As far as I can tell though

I might be wrong, but a 4x 5 day opening multi in the 90s was not particularly impressive, was it? It made insane money obviously, but seems like there was plenty of room for multi growth if people were over the moon. Seems like 01 or so where we shifted into the “modern” world of box office multis. 

Endgame OW was legendary. Theaters being converted into 24-hour establishments to accommodate the demand was fucking crazy. Over 10% of the US population in theaters in a 3-day period.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, it would have been a valid argument leading up to release. It was much harder to know at that time a SW film could turn out so divisive. 

TPM and AoC were pretty divisive already. Hell they both got multiple razzie nominations lmao. People just weren't this online at the time and fandoms in general were less toxic back then.

Just a heads up so we can avoid meltdowns on Wednesday, both Barbie and Oppenheimer were heavily impacted by capacity this weekend, and I have to imagine that is going to translate to Tuesday. Shows are already filling up for Monday, and they can’t simply “fill up MORE” on Tuesday. Couple that with decreased ticket prices, and you are probably going to see some ugly decreases, if not slight drops, in their Tuesday box office from Monday.

But nobody should freak out about this. It’s an indicator that the movies are simply doing as well as they can. Wednesday holds will be phenomenal.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I might be wrong, but a 4x 5 day opening multi in the 90s was not particularly impressive, was it? It made insane money obviously, but seems like there was plenty of room for multi growth if people were over the moon. Seems like 01 or so where we shifted into the “modern” world of box office multis. 

Well the thing is not every movie had a 5 day opening.

Just now, JustLurking said:

Studios looking for sequels on successful stuff isn't even a "current era" thing; they've done this for ages.

I didn't say it was exclusive to the current era. The point was more so that prequels, sequels, reimaginings are more popular than ever, leading people to believe there is little to no room for original projects. Hence, why some are eager for a new era.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Admission number for Phantom Menace is pretty dang strong, especially for a movie that had so much backlash from the fans. Seemed like a lot of kids and their parents in the general audience enjoyed it. Legs would have been much shorter without support from them, since we know a lot of fans hated it.

For perspective, Batman Returns set the opening weekend record in 1992 and had fairly short legs for the time period. Batman Returns finished 2.7 times higher than its 5-day total. Phantom Menace overall still had a pretty insane run at 4X multiplier on the 5-day opening, even though overall ticket sales were not at the same level as Force Awakens. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Admission number for Phantom Menace is pretty dang strong, especially for a movie that had so much backlash from the fans. Seemed like a lot of kids and their parents in the general audience enjoyed it. Legs would have been much shorter without support from them, since we know a lot of fans hated it.

I thought the fan reaction when it came out was positive. Like people thar were around at the time were like gaslighting themselves into thinking it was good 

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I thought the fan reaction when it came out was positive. Like people thar were around at the time were like gaslighting themselves into thinking it was good 

Some of that was going on for sure, but I think there were already people complaining about it at the time. And there are people who were small kids during that time who swear that the prequel movies are the best version of Star Wars, so I think that lines up with the idea that this portion of the audience helped drive the movie's success.

I didn't even see Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones in the theater. I did see Revenge of the Sith because of the hype surrounding Vader's appearance. Now you want to talk about a big deal. It was a massive, massive deal for any movie to hit $50 million in one day...especially on a Thursday instead of Friday or Saturday. The Mojo forums were going nuts during Sith's opening. Absolutely nuts. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

For perspective, Batman Returns set the opening weekend record in 1992 and had fairly short legs for the time period. Batman Returns finished 2.7 times higher than its 5-day total. Phantom Menace overall still had a pretty insane run at 4X multiplier on the 5-day opening, even though overall ticket sales were not at the same level as Force Awakens. 

I was def one of the kids fueling it lol, and it never really dawned on me the

movie kinda sucked until I was a bit older. It is hard to believe it wouldn’t have been closer to the phenomenon of ANH with OT fan support though. I have definitely heard the “legends” of box office fans and analysts predicting over Titanic DOM… 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

No way. Titanic, both Avatar movies, Force Awakens, Spidey 1 in 2002, and others. 

Yes way. 

A film everyone expected to $120/350 doing $158/531!  Crushed every record in existence and then held like an utter champ! And it was just so, so awesome. Titanic and Avatar were just leggier holiday films, Spider-man was indeed dope and similar to TDK. Force Awakens was cool too.

But TDK is what would have happened if Matrix Reloaded was awesome. It had a strange hold on the 16-30 crowd that we have not seen since other than TDKR