Eric Duncan

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

I'M A BARBIE GIRL

giphy.gif

barbie-margot-robbie.gif

giphy.gif

IN AN OPPY WORLD

oppenheimer-cillian-murphy.gif

89548755179e90c849361e2e7e334a017a16a998

giphy.gif

I don't know about you, but this year’s been a rough one. If we're talking box office, films are bombing left and right. And the few hits we do have, Mario aside, aren’t as big as they could have been. A good chunk of audiences are staying away from theaters forever, and the out of control budgets are making it hard for today’s current audiences to support the newest blockbusters. With the industry suffering from the aftermath of the streaming wars and strikes occurring amongst writers and actors, there’s no real sense to be optimistic about the business and its future.

However, there is one weekend this summer that promises to, at the very least, be memorable. On July 21, 2023, two different movies are set for release. Both are hotly-anticipated pieces, both not the same old same old franchise fodder, and both being exciting, auteur-driven pieces with massive ensemble casts that star all our faves and taking influence from some of our favorite films of all time. These are the films that are expected to chart a new future for the industry and in turn both save the summer and the box office in general...you know, before it crashes and burns and we all wonder how the industry will survive a few weeks later.

On July 21, 2023, we have two combatants. The first, and most high-profile one, comes from Mommy Greta. Barbie, based on the most iconic toy ever made, became an Internet phenomenon the second the first behind the scenes photos came in. With both Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling looking like the perfect actors for the part, the trailers, reminiscent of Jacques Demy and The Truman Show, only further wet people’s anticipation. This isn’t just a nostalgic toy commercial. This is a nostalgic toy commercial with self-aware comedy and with openly tongue-in-cheek and satirical content about what it was. It also boasts the incredible talents of Gerwig's screenwriting and visual direction and a cast consisting of all our faves. With great gags, iconic looks, and a "fuck the patriarchy" message that is always necessary, everybody’s been talking about this one movie and memeing it up like crazy.

giphy.gif

And in the other corner, Papa Nolan has left his Warner Bros. home and joined Universal to give us the incredible story of Robert Oppenheimer. And crazy enough, with Barbie being a WB joint, he is combating against his former home. Funny how that works. Oppenheimer details the story of the creation of the atomic bomb and promises groundbreaking visuals, epic scale, powerful storytelling, and incredible IMAX tech wizardry to bring in his already established fans and the older viewers who have abandoned theaters sans Top Gun. This too also utilizes all of Nolan's talents as an auteur and has a cast featuring all of our faves.

fc52ab506fc91fc112e0dad23dea64b4d9aaa81f

Sure enough, despite being polar opposites and despite both movies being "risky" prospects (let's be real, a Barbie movie ain't that risky), people are beyond excited for both movies. It's a rare point where instead of people taking sides or fighting over which one is better, there's a communal excitement to see both movies and celebrate them for their quality and individuality. And sure enough, there are plans for some to enjoy a double feature, with watching both movies on the same day. Tracking for these two is “sky is the limit” type shit. In particular, Mommy Greta could very well have one of the biggest box office openings ever, which nobody saw coming going into the year. At the very least, everybody’s getting ready to see at least one of these two, which will set us up for an exciting weekend that will lead to a lot of laughs, a lot of memes, and a lot of meltdowns.

That's not even mentioning all the other question marks this weekend will have. What is Dead Reckoning's second weekend going to look like? Will Sound of Freedom rise yet again? How high will Indiana Jones fall? How low will Elemental drop? No matter what happens, we’re gonna have a ball...that is, if you behave yourself and don't be an annoying party pooper. So let’s at least try to make this fun, okay? And not make things a drag? How do you make it fun? Well...

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. THIS INCLUDES SPOILERS UNDER A SPOILER TAG. This also applies to every other movie currently in theaters and every new movie/show recently released on streaming. So no Dead Recknoning spoilers, no Sound of Freedom spoilers, no The Witcher spoilers, etc.

2. GOOD VIBES!

Big weekends like these are supposed to be fun. So don’t be a party pooper and ruin things for everybody. You don't have to fight others who have opinions different than yours, you don't have to make fun ofsomebody for not knowing the nuances of box office IMs. It's all just silly fun, so don't make it something it's not.

3. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

And lastly...

4. DON'T BE A DICK

We good? We good. Now...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

doll.gif

giphy.gif

LET'S DO THIS SHIT

josh-peck.gif

spherical-nazbol.gif

• Like 4
  • Heart 2
  • Astonished 1

So what's y'alls favorite Drake and Josh episode? The episode where they bet over video games and junk food is probably mine. The episode where they performed The Blues Brothers was also iconic.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO EVER HAPPEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

this is the greatest weekend of all time; doing barbenheimer on saturday with the bot bois lets pray for barbie over 150 and oppy over inception

Let's go recruit some posters.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

this is the greatest weekend of all time; doing barbenheimer on saturday with the bot bois lets pray for barbie over 150 and oppy over inception

So nervous but also excited to meet you guys in person for the first time. I really hope you guys don't find me annoying irl :lol: 

1 minute ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

So what's y'alls favorite Drake and Josh episode? The episode where they bet over video games and junk food is probably mine. The episode where they performed The Blues Brothers was also iconic.

The one where they run over Oprah 

• Like 1

Also. This is my one time only Admin Post that if this only ends up at 150 for Barbie and 50 for Oppy we are not going to have a meltdown, cause comparative to all other openers this year that is outstanding. 

( @Porthos cue the gif)

Now, where is the 200 / 100M bus, I want on.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

I always loved the dance contest one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Also. This is my one time only Admin Post that if this only ends up at 150 for Barbie and 50 for Oppy we are not going to have a meltdown, cause comparative to all other openers this year that is outstanding. 

( @Porthos cue the gif)

By your command:

4A9_uKhQj1b40bEciWVW5Invpw8=.gif

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 2