Barbie (2023)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

On 7/27/2023 at 10:07 PM, titanic2187 said:

like what is whole point of Will Ferrell's presence in the movie?

There had to be a face for Mattel Patriarchy (which in Barbie's POV was The Creator).

Take him out and you just get Barbie going to Mattel and meeting Ruth's ghost. While some parts of the film would remain unaffected like Ken seeing how patriarchy works in the real world and going back to Barbieland to enact it there, Barbie would have been in a different headspace if the only authority figure she met at Mattel was Ruth. While the sexism she experienced in the world outside Mattel would have affected her, she wouldn't have reached her breaking point in Barbieland if she thought Mattel itself was A-OK. 

Ferrell is also the foil to Ferreira's character. She would've been even less fleshed out and relatable if we were told she was depressed because of a non-specific toxic work atmosphere vs. us knowing she had to put up with him at work every day. 

That's not to say the character had his pitfalls being used as corporate propaganda at points ("I can't let Ken take over Barbieland coz what about inspiring little girls?") but I can see why a moment like that was Gerwig offering an olive branch in return for some seriously effective and chilling scenes like him sweet-talking Barbie to step into her box and be shackled again.

• Like 1

Personally i think all the 4 main characters (Barbie, Ken, mother and daughter) have good arches. Ferrel character Is there just to comedy purpose, as almost every other characters, which in a comedy is totally ok.

Saying that i think this Is just a kind of situationist- surrealist comedy ala The Rocky horror picture show - monty phyton, especially in the second part. So i don't think approaching It with things like "the characters arcs" like we're watching  the lord of the Rings really matter, at least not for me. 

Edited by vale9001

Saw It for the second time. Even Better than than the first time. Such a great comedy but also great cinema. There Is so much subtle expressed with sound and images, directing choices etc...

I don't like that final solution about Barbie and her meeting with her creator (seems a little bit Too much of an hollywoodian classic ending) so It's not an A but A-.

Saying that really a great movie...characters there are already iconic (Barbie and Ken really are), cult scenes, simple but meaningful story (while as i said there is a lot we can talk about his visual aesthetic  and sound, that's not that simple) and a world you don't forget about It and not so much comedies have (for me is at the level of Batman by Tim Burton in that sense).

Edited by vale9001

Just saw it, it was charming, funny, and creative. Gerwig's direction is great, and while not every joke lands, and some take away from dramatic moments, enough of them do for it to still be funny and heartfelt simultaneously. Unlike most Hollywood movies with female leads, which just spout a generic, dull, and corporate "female empowerment" message, that message is actively made fun of here through Will Ferrell's character, who is the personification of that exec mentality. Barbie instead opts for a smart and realistic message about how the patriarchy hurts all people. The set design was great, Robbie and Gosling were brilliant. Michael Cera's character was unfunny in my opinion though and it would have been better without him. Sometimes it was a bit too on the nose with it's messaging though.

7/10