Barbie (2023)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I may have felt a tad called out by this movie lol

When Depression Barbie was watching the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice and That Scene with Mr. Darcy appeared...I was like, "Hey, now...did we have to hit that close to home, Greta????"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I keep thinking back to the scene where Robbie sits next to the old woman on the bench and tells her she is beautiful. Gerwig clearly excels at capturing tender little moments like that.

My favorite scene in any movie so far this summer.

about the scene you're talking about..... apparently  Warner asked to Gerwig "what's the point of it? Can we delete it?

cause doesn't have any apparent meaning for the plot...and this is why film can't be made with AI. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Greta Gerwig movies always have a "surrender" ending. The same theme continues in Barbie.

Lady Bird: A rebelious girl refused to be called by her given name "Christine", gave herself a name "Lady bird". In the end, she accepted her given name wholeheartedly. 

Little Women: Jo March strongly against the idea of women have to get married in their life but in the end Jo realised the loneliness she had to pay. She accepted the idea of marriage after all.

Barbie: A girl only want to be look perfect forever in her life. Only to give up that idea in the end and choose to age and die like a human and accepted her maternal role. 

The movie was superb in the first 3/4 but the last act was unsatisfying and too much singing. Too many undeveloped characters in the movie, like what is whole point of Will Ferrell's presence in the movie? And even with that awesome, relatable monologue by Fererra, her character still feel thin. And I must say Morgot Robbie despite being in a lead role, I don't feel her presence strongly in the third act until she reclaim that stage in the ending.

I love the message and commentary in the movie the most. In a cultural war where girl has to hate man to empower themselves while man has to suppress feminist to reclaim their alpha masculinity, this movie come in just in time to tell us probably it is time be more understanding each other and avoid taking things for granted.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Greta Gerwig movies always have a "surrender" ending. The same theme continues in Barbie.

Lady Bird: A rebelious girl refused to be called by her given name "Christine", gave herself a name "Lady bird". In the end, she accepted her given name wholeheartedly. 

Little Women: Jo March strongly against the idea of women have to get married in their life but in the end Jo realised the loneliness she had to pay. She accepted the idea of marriage after all.

Barbie: A girl only want to be look perfect forever in her life. Only to give up that idea in the end and choose to age and die like a human and accepted her maternal role. 

The movie was superb in the first 3/4 but the last act was unsatisfying and too much singing. Too many undeveloped characters in the movie, like what is whole point of Will Ferrell's presence in the movie? And even with that awesome, relatable monologue by Fererra, her character still feel thin. And I must say Morgot Robbie despite being in a lead role, I don't feel her presence strongly in the third act until she reclaim that stage in the ending.

I love the message and commentary in the movie the most. In a cultural war where girl has to hate man to empower themselves while man has to suppress feminist to reclaim their alpha masculinity, this movie come in just in time to tell us probably it is time be more understanding each other and avoid taking things for granted.  

Jo doesn't get married at the end of Little Women, she has the protagonist of her book marry. Also I thought the ending was more of a meta joke in Barbie.

Edited by JustLurking

Yeah went it excited. I LOVED Greta Gerwig's Little Woman and I also Liked Lady Bird. but this is not either of those movies. it's overly preachy, the barbies treat the Ken so horrible that I didn't blame them for taking over Barbieland and America Ferrera's daughter is one of the most unlikeable character's I have ever seen in a film. I did think it looked amazing. and Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling were GREAT in the movie. but it can only do so much with a really messy-overly political script. 

I walked out thinking of giving it a B- but over time I think I may actually give it a C. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Yeah went it exacted. I LOVED Greta Gerwig's Little Woman and I also Liked Lady Bird. but this is not either of those movies. it's overly preachy, the barbies treat the Ken so horrible that I didn't blame them for taking over Barbieland and America Ferrera's daughter is one of the most unlikeable character's I have ever seen in a film. I did think it looked amazing. and Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling were GREAT in the movie. but it can only do so much with a really messy-overly political script. 

I walked out thinking of giving it a B- but over time I think I may actually give it a C. 

America Ferrera Daughter is supposed to be annoying, that is the comedy. And the Kens problem was they defined their entire exixtence on chasing women, instead of being content with themselfs, wich became a burden on the women.

Edited by Day and Date The Best

The movie needed a scene (preferably a few) of Barbie having positive experiences in the real world, like experiencing real beach waves as opposed to only a plastic replica of a beach, or trying a real meal, or helping America Ferrera stand up to her boss, and positively changing the people around her by staying true to herself. The film seems to imply that women have to change to succeed in the patriarchy. Elle Woods in Legally Blonde didn’t have to become any less feminine or flamboyant to still be intelligent or accomplished. 

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The movie needed a scene (preferably a few) of Barbie having positive experiences in the real world, like experiencing a real beach waves as opposed to only a plastic one, or trying a real meal, or helping America Ferrera stand up to her boss, and positively changing the people around her by staying true to herself. The film seems to imply that women have to change to succeed in the patriarchy. Elle Woods in Legally Blonde didn’t have to become any less feminine or flamboyant to still be intelligent or accomplished. 

The movie implyed none of that, it was quite the contrary, none of the barbies stopped being feminine in fact, they tricked the kens with fake Bimboness. Even conservatives that liked the movie are saying that was a positive.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Yeah went it excited. I LOVED Greta Gerwig's Little Woman and I also Liked Lady Bird. but this is not either of those movies. it's overly preachy, the barbies treat the Ken so horrible that I didn't blame them for taking over Barbieland and America Ferrera's daughter is one of the most unlikeable character's I have ever seen in a film. I did think it looked amazing. and Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling were GREAT in the movie. but it can only do so much with a really messy-overly political script. 

I thought this video made a lot of good points. 

31 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Is not overly political, is true women have it more difficult a lot of times than Men, Men do not get periods, and do not do the heavy lifting on pregnacy. 

• Like 1