Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

On 9/21/2024 at 12:21 PM, vafrow said:

I do like the work that goes into those Reddit summaries, but people should keep in mind that when doing an analysis like that, you're not maintaining comp consistency. Not all trackers are updating consistently, and even within comp averages, the make up of each trackers are different day to day (which happens with mine depending on what data I have available).

The most accurate way to track a consolidated view is going the M37 route and tracking specific trackers to specific films.

That said, I have observed an increase in Joker in my numbers and I believe others have as well, but I just want to caution people on putting too much emphasis on aggregates.

You're right.  The Average Comps are there just to provide a very rough idea of how a movie is tracking overall.  If you want deeper analysis then you need to look at specific trackers and their presales and comps.   I wish I could make some M37-style charts but I just don't have the time.  

Edited by BOfficeStats
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 6:19 PM, AniNate said:

Just gonna do Thursday previews now

THE WILD ROBOT

BISTRO NORTH CANTON 6
CUYAHOGA FALLS 6
MONROEVILLE MALL 0
NORTH HILLS 55
ROBINSON TOWNSHIP 11
STRONGSVILLE 9
TINSELTOWN BOARDMAN 5
TINSELTOWN NORTH CANTON 20
TOWNSHIP MARKETPLACE 5
VALLEY VIEW 10
WOOSTER

Total: 127 (+17.6%)

THE WILD ROBOT (Thursday previews)

BISTRO NORTH CANTON 6
CUYAHOGA FALLS 7
MONROEVILLE MALL 0
NORTH HILLS 62
ROBINSON TOWNSHIP 15
STRONGSVILLE 9
TINSELTOWN BOARDMAN 5
TINSELTOWN NORTH CANTON 19
TOWNSHIP MARKETPLACE 5
VALLEY VIEW 13
WOOSTER 0

Total: 141 (+11%)

Not a good day in this region, was on such a promising pace too. Will really need to ramp up the next couple days to get where I was hoping.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BOfficeStats said:

You're right.  The Average Comps are there just to provide a very rough idea of how a movie is tracking overall.  If you want deeper analysis then you need to look at specific trackers and their presales and comps.   I wish I could make some M37-style charts but I just don't have the time.  

Everyone contributes what they're able and wish to. Your consolidation has value, especially since it has a lot of links.

Ultimately, it's a lot of info to absorb here, and, to be honest, there isn't much of a guide. People will gravitate to anything that distills it down to a simple prediction.

That's also why the out of context quotes like TheFlatLannisters Megalopolis prediction ran wild.

Ultimately, we put info out, and people will engage with it the best they can. You help give an easier option.

5 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

@AniNate what were you hoping again?

I mean, I haven't really tracked a school season animation like this before but I'm thinking it needs around a $3mil Thursday to get to a $50mil weekend and consequently have an easy path to that $200mil club I started. It had been doing solid daily increases of 35-40% this week until today. Assuming the ATP of $10.78 and that the 3700 theater count holds it would need to average around 75 admissions per theater on Thursday to achieve that.

Currently among NE Ohio / Western PA Cinemarks it's averaging around 13.