Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

I'll never forget when Sony projected a stupidly conservative $40M opening for Venom: Let There Be Carnage and it just absolutely blew up to get to $90M. That's the kind of stuff I always hope for when it comes to box office numbers. When you think it's going to open to a certain number, but then it blows past tracking by like $10M-$20M. That's amazing!

Anyways, though Let There Be Carnage did have a lot more advantages than The Last Dance will, I still think it'll be fine. I'd be shocked if this doesn't end up being a walk-up movie as even I know that pre-sales for Let There Be Carnage weren't that great when they went on sale. 

I'm worried that the poor reputation that Sony's Spider-Man Universe has with stuff like Morbius and Madame Web (both came out after Let There Be Carnage) will prevent people from seeing this one, but Venom has shown to be a completely different beast all together, so maybe audiences won't care.

I'm not buying the $100M+ projections, but I'd expect somewhere between $70M and the first film's $80M. Maybe it'll surprise, but I'm not seeing this be a massive breakout like Let There Be Carnage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leoh said:

so you’re probably not following the news…

spider-man fanbase is super excited for Venom specially because major reliable insiders are reporting ‘Venom: The Last Dance’ is the start of ‘King in Black’ saga, it’s introducing ‘Spider-Man 4’ main villain, Knull. This means Spider-Man will finally get the symbiote/black suit. And this makes sense, Spider-Man needs to have it in Secret Wars.

Actually spidy fans are super pissed at the idea instead of a street level story with daredevil 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

Actually spidy fans are super pissed at the idea instead of a street level story with daredevil 

idk what spider fans you’re talking about, but surely not those ones following spider-man fan accounts, comments are pretty positive for obvious reasons. MCU/Disney fanbase and Spider-Man fanbase think quite differently for obvious reasons. Street level with marvel TV characters couldn’t never be an option for a potential 2 billion movie.

anyways this is not a spider-man thread… :) 

Edited by leoh

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

I'll never forget when Sony projected a stupidly conservative $40M opening for Venom: Let There Be Carnage and it just absolutely blew up to get to $90M. That's the kind of stuff I always hope for when it comes to box office numbers. When you think it's going to open to a certain number, but then it blows past tracking by like $10M-$20M. That's amazing!

Anyways, though Let There Be Carnage did have a lot more advantages than The Last Dance will, I still think it'll be fine. I'd be shocked if this doesn't end up being a walk-up movie as even I know that pre-sales for Let There Be Carnage weren't that great when they went on sale. 

I'm worried that the poor reputation that Sony's Spider-Man Universe has with stuff like Morbius and Madame Web (both came out after Let There Be Carnage) will prevent people from seeing this one, but Venom has shown to be a completely different beast all together, so maybe audiences won't care.

I'm not buying the $100M+ projections, but I'd expect somewhere between $70M and the first film's $80M. Maybe it'll surprise, but I'm not seeing this be a massive breakout like Let There Be Carnage. 

did you check Venom Fan Event for Thursday 5pm? It’s listed separately on Fandango and AMC.

It’s selling really well both in LA and New York considering it’s been on sale for only 6h and all of them are IMAX screenings.

link for LA Venom fan event (AMC) https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/venom-the-last-dance-opening-night-fan-event-78305/showtimes?rel=joker-folie-a-deux-68585_flm_hp_hero1&date=2024-10-24&theatre=amc-burbank-16

New York fan event (AMC) https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/venom-the-last-dance-opening-night-fan-event-78305/showtimes?rel=joker-folie-a-deux-68585_flm_hp_hero1&date=2024-10-24&theatre=amc-lincoln-square-13

On 9/30/2024 at 10:32 PM, filmpalace said:

Joker: Folie a Deux T-3

Tickets sold: 457 (+65)

Growth: 17%

Theaters: 2

Showtimes: 21

Joker: Folie a Deux T-2

Tickets sold: 525 (+68)

Growth: 15%

Showtimes: 21

Edited by filmpalace
  • Like 4

On 9/30/2024 at 10:35 PM, filmpalace said:

Smile 2 T-17

Tickets sold: 49

Showtimes: 7

Around 60% of sales are for the fan event, which is on that Thursday as well. Not a bad start.

Smile 2 T-16

Tickets sold: 60 (+11)

Growth: 22%

Showtimes: 7

Wanted to see what the second day increase would look like. Will probably check on this again at T-10,

• Like 2

Venom: The Last Dance T-23

Tickets sold: 107

Showtimes: 17

Don't have comps yet, but this seems like a solid start for something that will have most of its sales in the final days (according to those that tracked the previous Venom movies)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

NYC REGAL Local (Tues)

JOKER 2: 129/1962

COMPS:

Joker: $4.38 (R)

Birds of Prey: $6.14m (R)
The Suicide Sq: $9.34m (R)

The Flash: $7.07m
The Marvels: $7.55m
Deadpool: $3.99m (R)

Dr. Strange 2: $2.58m