katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

13 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

IMAX needs to step up their game. While searching through information about the film strips, I have already seen three viewings in Canada rescheduled because of different issues with IMAX. This is why we are not getting 15M! (JK)

IMAX has a lot to learn from this Oppenheimer release. I know they prepared for the 70mm release by sending technicians to numerous (all?) locations; but the reports of problems in several locations shows more preparations or work is needed. 

Not only that but numerous IMAX theaters are still showing movies in 2K resolution. There is absolutely no excuse for that given the prevalence of 4K screens such as AMC Dolby, Regal RPX, Cinemark XD and every or almost every Harkins screen. Moviegoers are not receiving the best possible visual experience on those 2K screens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I wish there was a translate option...wtf even is this

"Chocolate AP and chocolate the Vs (Vs), got the Willy Wonka factory (Vs)
Burn a athlete like it's calories, find another flame hot as me, b**ch
"

Travis means that he has brown colored jewelry, he has all the Willy Wonka factory (the double entendere here), and well, the second verse it’s very self explanatory. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

genuinely believe haunted mansion would've reviewed significantly higher in october; it's a load of fun and features one of lakeith stanfield's best film performances yet?? very pleasant surprise, too bad about everything around it

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

IMAX has a lot to learn from this Oppenheimer release. I know they prepared for the 70mm release by sending technicians to numerous (all?) locations; but the reports of problems in several locations shows more preparations or work is needed. 

Not only that but numerous IMAX theaters are still showing movies in 2K resolution. There is absolutely no excuse for that given the prevalence of 4K screens such as AMC Dolby, Regal RPX, Cinemark XD and every or almost every Harkins screen. Moviegoers are not receiving the best possible visual experience on those 2K screens.

The 70mm issue falls on Nolan for making a 3 hour movie. For many years, IMAX said the hard limit on film projection for the IMAX format was around 2 hours and 45 minutes. This 3 hour runtime has pushed IMAX beyond the physical limitations of the format, which makes sense. The equipment is gigantic and was originally designed for nature documentaries that were less than 1 hour long. 

I agree 1,000% with you on the LieMAX digital projection. They should be using 4K Laser for every IMAX digital auditorium, not the outdated 2K projectors from 2010. Some of this falls on the theater companies, who don't want to pay to upgrade these auditoriums to IMAX's new Laser projectors. IMAX probably does not have enough profit or budget to afford footing the bill on these upgrades for the likes of Regal. 

• Like 3

oh and my parents saw dead reckoning as huge fans of the franchise since III and it's the first time i've ever heard them walk away from one of them disappointed. Both Mom and Dad only had complaints for me with maybe a couple "i guess this part was alright." maybe it's time to face that this might not actually have that good wom (yes i recognize me saying this from just my parents anecdotal evidence is somewhat ridiculous but come on)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The 70mm issue falls on Nolan for making a 3 hour movie. For many years, IMAX said the hard limit on film projection for the IMAX format was around 2 hours and 45 minutes. This 3 hour runtime has pushed IMAX beyond the physical limitations of the format, which makes sense. The equipment is gigantic and was originally designed for nature documentaries that were less than 1 hour long. 

I agree 1,000% with you on the LieMAX digital projection. They should be using 4K Laser for every IMAX digital auditorium, not the outdated 2K projectors from 2010. Some of this falls on the theater companies, who don't want to pay to upgrade these auditoriums to IMAX's new Laser projectors. IMAX probably does not have enough profit or budget to afford footing the bill on these upgrades for the likes of Regal. 

I’m 1,000% that’s the actual reason they aren’t upgraded. Also the reason why I usually watch films twice around here: one at lieMAX 2k and 4K with Dolby. I don’t feel like it makes financial sense for IMAX to pay for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m 1,000% that’s the actual reason they aren’t upgraded. Also the reason why I usually watch films twice around here: one at lieMAX 2k and 4K with Dolby. I don’t feel like it makes financial sense for IMAX to pay for that.

And these days it does not make sense for theater companies to pay for it as well. Regal is having major bankruptcy problems. I'm sure other theaters aren't in the best shape either. They all got nailed by COVID, plus the general trend of so many people in the audience that prefer to stay home instead of going to theaters.

We have to take what we can get from theater companies these days. If they install a new 4K projector & screen, it's something to be thrilled about. But it's hard to blame them for continuing to use the older 2K projectors & screens. They gotta watch out for their financial situation first and foremost. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And these days it does not make sense for theater companies to pay for it as well. Regal is having major bankruptcy problems. I'm sure other theaters aren't in the best shape either. They all got nailed by COVID, plus the general trend of so many people in the audience that prefer to stay home instead of going to theaters.

We have to take what we can get from theater companies these days. If they install a new 4K projector & screen, it's something to be thrilled about. But it's hard to blame them for continuing to use the older 2K projectors & screens. They gotta watch out for their financial situation first and foremost. 

I agree 100%. If COVID hadn’t happen and the cray Endgame numbers just kept going is one thing. We are actually lucky that things are somewhat back to ‘normal’. We are not in the clear yet.

• Like 1