katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

3 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

I’m still not sold over Oppie going over $800M worldwide.

I’m waiting to see how it will perform once the Barbenheimer mania is over.

If it manages to get there it would be the most incredible achievement post COVID-19 IMO.

800m is pretty much locked. I don't see how it isn't getting there.

1 minute ago, MikeQ said:

Beautiful drops for both Barbie and Oppenheimer.

For Barbie, what an exceptional drop for its size - when looking at $100M Friday openers that weren't cushioned by a holiday second weekend, she is among the best for this day and age of cinema.

Best Second Weekend Drops for 100M+ Friday Openers without Holiday Second Weekend:

1. Top Gun: Maverick (2022): -28.9%
  2. Spider-Man (2002): -37.8%
  3. The Jungle Book (2016): -40.4%
  4. Barbie (2023): -42.6%
  5. Wonder Woman (2017): -43.3%
  6. Black Panther (2018): -44.7%
  7. Finding Dory (2016): -46.0%
  8. Alice in Wonderland (2010): -46.0%
  9. Toy Story 3 (2010): -46.2%
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023): -47.6%
  11. Beauty and the Beast (2017): -48.3%
  12. Jurassic World (2015): -49.0%*
  13. The Avengers (2012): -50.3%
  14. The Batman (2022): -50.4%
  15. Toy Story 4 (2019): -50.6%^
  16. It (2017): -51.3%
  17. The Secret Life of Pets (2016): -51.3%
  18. The Dark Knight (2008): -52.5%
  19. Thor: Ragnarok (2017): -53.5%

*2nd weekend was not technically a holiday weekend, but it did benefit significantly from Father’s Day (almost flat on Sunday)

^2nd weekend wasn’t a holiday weekend for US/NA, but it was for CANADA (Canada Day weekend arguably boosted its Sunday gross)

If we expand this list to 60M+ openers, we see that Oppenheimer is also among the best second weekend drops for a film of its size. Notice that most of the films on the list below are animated family films and/or of an earlier era of box office when Thursday previews were not as dominant or did not exist (and therefore second weekend drops naturally weren’t as hefty). A -44% drop in this day and age, for a live-action film, is excellent. It may jump into the top 15 if its Sunday drop is overestimated, which I think could be the case.

Best Second Weekend Drops for 60M+ Friday Openers without Holiday Second Weekend:

1. Monsters Inc (2001): -27.2%
  2. American Sniper (2014): -27.6%
  3. The Incredibles (2004): - 28.7%
  4. Top Gun: Maverick (2022): -28.9%
  5. Zootopia (2016): -31.6%
  6. Inception (2010): -32.0%
  7. Finding Nemo (2003): -33.7%
  8. Up (2009): -35.2%
  9. The Passion of the Christ (2004): -36.5%
  10. Spider-Man (2002): -37.8%
  11. The Jungle Book (2016): -40.4%
  12. Inside Out (2015) -42.1%
  13. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018): -42.3%
  14. Barbie (2023): -42.6%
  15. The Grinch (2018): -42.9%
  16. Wonder Woman (2017): -43.3%
  17. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (2012): -43.5%
  18. Cars (2006): -43.9%
  19. Oppenheimer (2023): -44.0% 
  20. Kung Fu Panda (2008): -44.2%

Peace,

Mike

My god, Top Gun Maverick was its own kind of beast, huh. One of those runs that is going to be looked back on by future box office trackers like “I wish I was around to follow that one.”

• Like 3

So Barbie and Oppenheimer did great. And setting new precedent 

But Elemental performance warms my heart.

When I watched the movie in empty theater in India , I kinda felt sad that such a good movie has no takers. So to see it reaching 450m+ and more potentially, really makes me happy

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Is that some sort of legal requirement? Things like Chicago and the latest version of A Star Is Born were decades in development, so many different directors/stars were attached to each property over time, yet their reported budgets seem in line with what is onscreen. I wonder if there are tax reasons for reporting such high budgets?

It's dependent on what exactly happened when there were previous versions pitched. Like for example with Barbie it's very doubtful any of the prior version budgets were rolled into this one because production companies itself changed from Sony to Warner.

Movies are set up as separate entities with their own P&Ls because that allows for easy "Hollywood accounting". So "Haunted Mansion LLC" will be the company behind Haunted Mansion and all development will be charged to that company throughout the lifecycle unless there's a change in production companies like with Barbie.

Normally the only cost associated with development will be script costs. It rarely gets to more than that unless there's a director and Star attached who can have signing bonuses. Then the biggest component will be pre-production if there's any sets or pre-vis conducted. Superman Returns carried about 20M of Nicolas Cage and Tim Burton's salaries because they had pay or play deals and a bunch of pre production was completed which added another 20-30M there and then there were other script and Costumes and stuff which added 10M or so more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

800m is pretty much locked. I don't see how it isn't getting there.

Lot of things seemed locked after just 10 days of release inhere. Guardians 3 over $900M ww, Mario over $600M dom, Avatar under $2B etc etc…

Too early.

The fact Mission Impossible is doing pretty decently OS does suggest Paramount aren't going to kill the franchise or order the so called reshoots that some think will happen.

Elemental is benefitting from a lack of family titles, that will change from next week with TMNT.

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's dependent on what exactly happened when there were previous versions pitched. Like for example with Barbie it's very doubtful any of the prior version budgets were rolled into this one because production companies itself changed from Sony to Warner.

It depends. I don't know the production history of Barbie, but if Warner picked the project in turnaround, the usual practice is that some of Sony's sunk costs are passed onto Warner, in exchange of acquiring full rights to the project.

EDIT: Doing a bit of research, it seems that Mattel got back the rights and went to Warner. So the project wasn't picked in turnaround - still, there's a decent chance that Warner acquired the rights to previous Barbie scripts as legal protection - I have seen it happen. Anyway, it's one of those "we'll probably never know" things.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The fact Mission Impossible is doing pretty decently OS does suggest Paramount aren't going to kill the franchise or order the so called reshoots that some think will happen.

Elemental is benefitting from a lack of family titles, that will change from next week with TMNT.

It has survived several family titles already. The movie is simply connecting with audiences worldwide.