katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

Looks like Sound of Freedom is going to make a play for 200 mill. Plus it's opening up in international markets now and maybe it'll make a play for $200 million overseas. Couldn't happen to a better film. That tiny 15 million budget with no marketing its going to turn a huge profit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 2

41 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Wasn't the godfather once the highest grossing film of all time back in the 70s? Times sure have changed

And it was in the 70s that the change began, ironically. It's funny how Godfather was like the peak for these kinds of blockbuster dramas, then Jaws in '75 became the highest grosser, only to have Star Wars (ANH) smash it in '77. After that, it was E.T., Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame. Yes, Titanic was a more traditional drama, but the other movies weren't the type that would've been blockbusters pre-1970s.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Godfather, The Sound of the Music, or a Titanic be at the top again (which would require like 3 bill now). 

Edited by Hildagarde25

22 hours ago, Cheddar Please said:

How did you get these numbers for Barbenheimer, they seem awfully... low

It probably will be low due to weekdays. The calculations I used based on weekend drops is more accurate than not (IMO) but I think it undercounts summer weekdays. 

Missed this weekend, but played catch up in this thread and WTF at Barbenheimer. What a glorious performance.

Oppenheimer OS hold is INSANITY.

Barbie is a genuine phenomenon in the US. Its going to cross 600 - 650M. AMAZING.

Spoiler

But not more than 650M pls

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

And it was in the 70s that the change began, ironically. It's funny how Godfather was like the peak for these kinds of blockbuster dramas, then Jaws in '75 became the highest grosser, only to have Star Wars (ANH) smash it in '77. After that, it was E.T., Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame.  

I wonder if we'll ever see a Godfather, The Sound of the Music, or a Titanic be at the top again (which would require like 3 bill now). 

Jurassic park was never the all-time highest grossing movie. It never did pass ET

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

Looks like Sound of Freedom is going to make a play for 200 mill. Plus it's opening up in international markets now and maybe it'll make a play for $200 million overseas. Couldn't happen to a better film. That tiny 15 million budget with no marketing its going to turn a huge profit.

I don't think they'll be able to artificially boost ticket sales outside of America like they did for its domestic run.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

It was the highest WW tho right?

Yes but the list that was made was just domestic

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think they'll be able to artificially boost ticket sales outside of America like they did for its domestic run.

They never did artificially boost tickets. We've been through this a hundred times. 

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Yes but the list that was made was just domestic

No, I was actually talking about WW - if you meant my list? Jaws, E.T., ANH, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame were the highest WW grossers at one point. I think Godfather was, too, but I'd have to double check to be sure.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oh okay I see, I thought you were just listing domestic 

They had churches and conservative donors give a bunch of money for tickets. Whatever. What I'm getting at is the rest of the world doesn't care enough about this film to do that.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Decent hold for Elemental despite losing nearly 50% of shows. I think it can reach 160M as long as it doesn't lose lot of screens

An even better drop for ELEMENTAL. Just 39.3%!

• Like 2